SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_113702333

Bathroom Cabinet Dilemma. Paint or Stain Match?

C F
last year
last modified: last year

Hi there! We are putting our bathroom back together and I am struggling with paint vs. stain matching. I have a vanity that is "tobacco" stained from the factory. We have a tall unfinished oak cabinet that will be placed right next to the vanity. I am struggling to find a stain to match the vanity. So, should I paint the cabinet instead?

Then the question is if I am painting the cabinet, do I paint it the same color as the walls, or do I find a complimentary color or contrasting color? The cabinet is quite large and our bathroom is small.

As I said, the vanity is tobacco, which is a dark brown with red undertones. The floor will be a white tile with dark brown grout. We will paint the walls a warm beige, similar to "Shaker Beige" by Benjamin Moore.

Please note. The vanity and cabinet in the mock-up are not as dark as our real vanity. Also, our vanity top is whiter, and the floor is white, not gray. The mock-up is mostly to show the placement of the vanity and cabinet so people can see the size of the cabinet in relation to the room.

Thank you for any advice.

Comments (15)