SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_chen

Remodeling saga, the the path of here to where?

Anthony C
6 years ago

I just read this old article and realized that I might be in the midst of this. So I thought I would post where we are at, partially to help clarify my thoughts.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2699586/getting-there-from-here-or-how-did-it-go-so-wrong?n=68

We bought a house that was at the top end of our budget that was built in 1995. It hasn't been updated since then, but wasn't in bad shape at all. The house was about 20% under market because it came with a very expensive empty lot and people would have to pay cash because a mortgage company couldnt lend on the package. We managed to get a friend to buy the empty lot so we were able to get a mortgage just on the house.

I personally could have moved into the house as is, but I promised my wife that if she let us move from the house and neighborhood that she loved (we had *great* neighbors) I would let her remodel however she wanted to.

The house looked like this:

An older style, but not really bad at all.

Beyond being a little outdated, the biggest things wrong with the house were that the exterior doors had all been installed improperly so the subfloor was rotting, there was green carpet in the living room, master, and master bath, and there was an electric stove in the very tiny island.

Here is the floorplan:

Our initial budget was 70,000 and the original plan was to tear down the wall between the kitchen and living because the living room has a ton of light and giant windows to take advantage of the view, where the family room has much smaller windows to the same view that are covered by shutters. It seemed so wrong to have the kitchen separated from the living room. Tearing down the Living room/kitchen wall wouldnt leave enough cabinets so we would wall off the family room, giving part of it to the kitchen, and leaving part of it as an office/workshop for me. The wall between the kitchen and family would house the rangetop and the cabinets we would lose by removing the wall between the kitchen and living. We would also replace all the carpet in living, master, and master closet with matching 2 inch 3/4 oak and refinish the entire first floor to be the same color. This satisfied my need to not be wasteful.

The first bids starting coming in at 140K for the kitchen plus floors. I still think they had too much buffer. One bid had three separate cleaning items with about 4K each. Sometimes I feel like we are getting a zipcode markup on bids. We have a lot of people that just take whatever bid a contractor throws out because they don't know any better. Or maybe it is just that Austin is in a housing boom so labor is just really expensive.

We ultimately decided not to tear down any walls and just remodel what was there. We completely revamped the kitchen plan to use the walls in place, with the main changes of putting a 48" range (with 1.5 ovens) where the oven stack was, a big vent hood, moving the peninsula into the family room about 18" to give a little more kitchen space, changing the peninsula to full bar height, and shifting the island about the same amount as the peninsula so there was a clear path from refrigerator to sink.

We sent the revised vision to our potential contractors to bid and the bids were still coming in at around 115K. It didnt make sense to me so I made a spreadsheet with everything that needed to be done, an hour estimate and $/hour cost. I was very liberal, giving demo guys $100/hour and the contractor a 35% profit on the kitchen remodel. I came up with about 85K for the kitchen and floors and asked them what assumptions I had that were wrong. I sent this list to our favorite contractor who said he could do it for that price (score one for homeowners!).

The breakdown was roughly

Appliances - 15k

Cabinets 25K

Floors - 15K

Countertops, backsplash, drywall, fixtures, lighting, GC profit etc - 30K

85K was still 15K above our original budget, but by this point we had seen these huge numbers and decided to increase our budget to 120K and add in a master bath remodel.

In our last house we liked the tuscan style, but not the gaudy over ornamented style you see so much, but more understated. We had the dark floors, but light shaker style maple cabinets, and oil rubbed bronze hardware. We did have the black granite (which I still love), but the knobs were all very simple and the fixtures were modern styles in oil rubbed bronze (very hard to find!). I still loved that style, but my wife decided she wanted to go more modern.

We bought the house in july of 2017 and didnt start any demo until the end of november 2017, it took us a lot longer than we thought to get enough bids to select a GC and designer.

During the process of design, an upstairs toilet flapper got stuck when someone flushed, leaving water constantly flowing for a few days which revealed a leak in the drain of the toilet. It completely ruined the family room ceiling. On the plus side the leak had always been there, it was just slow. It was good that we discovered it now, the downside was it cost about $2000 to fix.

We are now at the point where the house is demoed and we are starting to put it back together.

We also added another 10K in changes (repairs to the flooded ceiling 2K, cat 6 wiring -1500, removing an arch - 1500, replacement mantles, changes to lighting) taking the total to about 95K.

Here is where we are at now:

The drywallers have mostly patched all holes, closed arch is drywalled etc. They will likely mud and paint this week.

This is a picture of the arch that is now filled in. It should have been open, but like the above article says, you make little compromises along the way.

this is the unfinished oak floor in the master bedroom. Much better than the original green carpet.

If we cant afford to do the master bath renovation we arent sure what to do with the floor. Just carpet for now probably. We want to completely gut it and change to a euro style bathroom with floating vanities, freestanding tub, etc. Cost is $38K.

This is center built in shelving in the master closet with an ironing board in "half wall". The wall really made the space and lighting bad so we took it out and the center shelves too.

This is the master closet as a blank slate. It is big enough to be a bedroom. We will likely install ikea kitchen cabinets (someday).

I cant post any more pictures so will do more as comments.

Comments (31)