SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
architectrunnerguy

2017- The year in 100 quotes

Architectrunnerguy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

New Years Greetings all!!

Note: I’m posting this intro and then posting the quotes in the “replies” because when I C&P from Word I’m informed the character count is too long….Go figure!

Last year about this time I posted 100 quotes from some of the forums (Building a Home, Renovations, Kitchens and Design Dilemma) for the 2016 year. It was a fun outlet for my creativity and looked like it was fairly well
received so, with one reservation, I decided to do it again this year.

As some of you know, I love lists.reading them and composing them. And I’ll say what I said last year that this list IS composed, the order is not random nor is the number arbitrary. Creating a great list is a no different task then creating say, a short story or a poem. A creative list has to be short enough so not to bore but long enough to have weight. Seriousness enough for importance but funny enough for laughs. Ordered enough for sub themes, but
random enough to keep interest. Light enough to poke fun but heavy enough for lessons.

The number of 100 is critical. Sure, some might say it’s arbitrary but at the same time for any good list to have weight there has to be a constraint so the list doesn’t get boring or watered down. I pared it down from over 300 which was difficult but at the same time a creative outlet for me. If I selected one quote for inclusion in the 100, it meant another had to go. So if somebody remembers reading something that’s not here, it’s very likely not that I didn’t see and flag it, but very likely it became a victim of creative crafting.

Therefore, I had a big reservation this second year, almost to the point of not posting this. Last year no one knew I was collecting these all year so there was no “I know the list is 100 but I thought this was mildly amusing also” add- ons thereby entirely missing the point of a limited list. Last year’s list remained as it was intended, an undiluted, standalone composition without morphing into something like the monthly “Build” thread.

Of course for anyone who was inspired by my effort last year and flagged some quotes over the year, they are entirely welcome and encouraged to start a thread with their own list. As a fan of lists, not only would I be flattered to have inspired, I’d love reading your lists!

And trust me, it would have been far easier to just haphazardly slap up all 300 willy-nilly without any creativity, thought, crafting or order and call it a day. After all, any fifth grader can do that. But I looked for a composed 100 to become a greater sum than a haphazard 300 much the same as a well designed house is greater than the
sum of the walls and roof. So, since last year went well, I really hope my list accomplishes that, doesn’t degenerate into the latter in the replies and simply enjoyed by everyone for what it is just like last year’s list.

Ok, with that said, hope everyone enjoys it and thanks to everyone for all the great material!! After all you all are the authors!!! With the exception of the one with the photo and the “bonus” section, no thread is represented twice, another criteria I had for creating my list, and why some other quotes may not be here. Also, last year, none of the quotes are mine but I included one this year.

And there’s a subtle joke embedded within my list this year. Another outlet for my creativity so please read carefully! The first person who sees it gets a free original ARG “cloud drawing”.

And finally, I kept the same anonymity format as last year but if anyone recognizes their words I don’t want my format to stop anyone from jumping in and claiming a number…. or two! Last year worked well that way I thought.

So here’s wishing everyone here a Happy New Year and for 2018 may everyone’s projects come in under budget and ahead of schedule!!

Comment