SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancy15000

Electrolux range oven door won't open after self-clean

Nancy
6 years ago

My range is model EW30IS65JSD. Last week I used the self-clean feature, and when it was finished and cool, the oven door remained locked. We tried every trick I could find on-line several times, including pushing on the door and toggling the circuit breaker off for 5 or more minutes. Also, the lights inside the oven are stuck on ON (??? They were off while the oven was cleaning), and I am getting an F15 error. The cooktop works fine, but anything associated with the left side of the touchpad does not (including the timers, the clock, and the ability to default to factory settings). Removing the back panel is completely out of our wheelhouse.

So I called a repair tech from a service that claims to be factory authorized by Electrolux, though they are not listed on the Electrolux Website. The tech told me that the issue was caused by the lack of communication between 1 or both of 2 different parts and the motherboard. One of those parts is apparently easily replaced via the back panel; BUT, (and it’s a big but!), the other part is located in front of the fan and is only accessible through the inside of the oven...and the oven is hopelessly locked. He then told me that if the second part was involved, the only recourse would be to pry the oven door off with a crowbar, thus destroying the door to replace the part. In other words, my stove is essentially totaled.

i then called Electrolux support. I didn’t speak to a tech, but the person I spoke with assured me they could break the latch without breaking the door, although I’m not completely convinced that she knew that for sure. She wanted to send another tech out, but I’m not going to pay for another service call unless I know it’s worthwhile.

This situation was probably precipitated by the fact that I live at a high altitude (almost 8000’). I’ve now resigned myself to spending the rest of my life with a can of Easy Off at my side no matter what the outcome, but I love my stove and really want to fix it if It can be done without doing to much damage to my door or my pocketbook. Is there anyone who can cheer me up?

Comment (1)