SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_g76

Potted Benjamina Ficus losing leaves

alex_g76
6 years ago

Hi everybody!

Happy New Year to all!

Late last November, I purchased from the Fast-Growing-Trees a beautiful 3'-high Benjamina Ficus tree, which was delivered to me in a 3-gal standard pot on December 2nd. The tree was in a great shape with a nicely trimmed crown of dense leaves. A week later, I re-potted it into a larger pot with good drainage. Soon afterwards, it started to loose lots of leaves. And in spite of the fact that many new ones continually appear, the tree is far from looking happy. I water it approximately once a week and only when the soil is completely dry about two inches down. The thing is that when I stick my finger into the soil and feel that it is dry some two inches down, the root ball is still a bit wet. Therefore, I am not sure when to water it: when the 2" layer of the soil is dry or when the root ball is a bit dry.

Although I am not much of a gardener or house plant expert, I have read a lot about how sensitive to any change (temperature, humidity, light, location) Benjamina Ficus tree can be and that losing leaves is its response to any change. The problem I am facing is twofold: I live in an apartment where none of the windows provides bright sunlight (the tree stands now near the biggest window). In addition, the air in the apartment, esp. now in winter time, is pretty dry. So, in the course of past month, the tree had to acclimatized and adjust to these rather uncomfortable conditions.

I'd appreciate any educated advise on how to revive and bring back this nice tree, which feels rather miserable now, which you can see on the attached photos. Shoul I start to fertilize it? Fast-Growing-Trees site recommends using a 10-10-10 ration fertilizer, but I have no clue as to whether there is a commercial product with this ratio.

Thanks much in advance for reading this rather longish post and for any help with this problem.

Comments (21)