SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole_naviglia

Parents Building a Small House - Advice Appreciated

Nicole N
6 years ago

My 65+ year old parents are building a small one-level cottage-type house (950 sq ft - so not exactly a true "tiny" house) and their architect has charged them $4000+ for small house plans that simply look like a regular house that was shrunk down - that is there isn't any real design ingenuity or creativity applied to thinking about how to make the best of their square footage, functionality, etc. He just made everything small, if that makes sense. F

or example, he didn't suggest smaller profile kitchen appliances - he just based the kitchen on regular full-sized appliances jammed into a tiny kitchen. When I suggested to my parents they look into smaller sized/narrow profile fridge and dishwasher, they realized this would buy them a few precious feet of space in the kitchen and even allow them to have a narrow closet for a mop and broom. (There is no garage, no basement planned on this house). He also designed it with kitchen cabinets that do not reach the ceiling and have a space-wasting soffit - um, why??? When my mom went back and said they need to maximize the use of vertical space and have cabinets that go to the ceiling, he got annoyed with them. Needless to say I am concerned they will end up with a small poorly-designed house and no functionality.

My parents are on a VERY tight budget and they do not have the money to go back and have new plans drawn up -- and for a number of reasons that I won't bore you with, they are stuck with this particular architect.

They have not broken ground yet, so I am trying to arm them with some ideas and such that they can take to their architect.

I'd appreciate any resources you may have or just some tips they should consider. They are not internet savvy unfortunately and I am not an architect or a designer.

Thanks!

Comments (33)