SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Buyer's Agent Questions

kats_meow
6 years ago

A couple of questions related to buyer's agents. Main questions are (1) when to start having a buyer's agent start automated searches for me and (2) whether I need more than one buyer's agent for different areas.

We are planning to sell our house and to move about 200 miles away to the area I grew up in. I have not lived in that area in many years but have some familiarity with it from visiting due to family still living there.

I imagine we will put our existing house on the market in March. Optimistically it probably takes a few months to sell. We have to sell this house before buying a new house. We won't ask to visit any houses on the market until we have this house under contract.

That said, we are starting to research the market and are trying to determine which areas we want to focus on. It is complex because one of our primary criteria is finding a house that allows at least 4 pets. In the area we are looking at, almost all homes are in cities so city ordinances are important to the pet limit issue. I have already looked at all the ordinances in the area and know which ones will work for us and which ones don't.

However, it isn't enough to just look at ordinances. In this area, most houses in a city will also be in an HOA and the HOA may have pet restrictions more restrictive than that of the ordinances. So I will need to know what the deed restrictions provide before I will consider a house.

This is a large metropolitan area. Most of the possible areas are to the north and northeast of the main city. However, there are potential cities that would work to the west and to the south. West is probably about 35 miles away from the areas to the north/northeast. The areas to the south are about 40 miles from the areas to the north and northeast.

So - 2 questions:

1. I am sure that we will want to find a buyer's agent in the north/northeast. I assume that agent will be able to handle everything in that area. Geography of that area is about 25 miles by 16 miles. I assume we could deal with one agent for that area. (If not, tell me).

I assume an agent in that area won't know much details about the west and south areas. Will probably have a general familiarity with the areas but I would imagine wouldn't really want to be trekking to them to show me houses when we start looking.

We can't really narrow down the areas now since we have to have something that works for pets. So do I need a buyer's agent for each of those areas? There are probably fewer homes in those areas that the north/northeast so maybe I could get away with just directly contacting the seller's agent for homes in those areas if I find houses that I like on realtor.com. That said, I would prefer to have an automated search done by a real estate agent since I want as much detail as possible.

1. When should I select a buyer's agent and have automated searches set up. Obviously, right now I can't buy a house since I have to sell my house. However, houses sometimes stay on the market for months so I could start identifying houses I'm interested in. And, in the past, I learned a lot by looking at the detailed listings and it helped me refine what I was looking for.

In the past (when I bought my current house), I visited very few houses with the agents. I tried to do as much as possible from the listings. I did look at real property records where I could to look at deed restrictions before going to a house as it was a waste of time to go look at the house if the pet limits wouldn't work. If I couldn't find the deed restrictions online (most of the time I could) I would ask my buyer's agent to request them from the seller's agent (or at least tell us how we could get them).

Of course, I wouldn't ask a buyer's agent to do that kind of inquiry unless our current house was under contract and we were in a position to contract for a house.

So - it would be helpful to me to have a buyer's agent (or agents) set up an automated search for me soon so I could start looking at what is available and I could get more familiar with the area. If we were to list in March and the house were to go under contract quickly (possible but I am not holding my breath) then a house that we saw on the search before listing our house might still be available.

Or should I wait until my current house is under contract before contacting a buyer's agent and asking for automated searches?

Comments (12)