SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nspinsc

Help me pick between two new kitchen layouts

nspinsc
6 years ago

Our 9ft galley kitchen isn’t working for our family of 4, so we are remodeling. We are planning on removing the island, moving the electric stove between the windows and extending the kitchen into the dining room. we are in a 1300sqft middle floor condo, so we are not able to do any structural changes such as adding ducts for a range hood, etc. This is the current kitchen seem from the dining table, it has 1 bank of drawers, 2 lower cabinets, and 2 upper cabinets plus the 2 above the sink/fridge. There is a walk-in pantry right of the fridge.

Here are the two designs from my cabinet builder. Which do you prefer? Do you see any issues with the function?

Design 1:

Design 1 minimizes GC costs by keeping the fridge, sink and dishwasher in their current location. (it’s still costing us $16k for labor alone). I’m not sure it makes sense to have a peninsula directly next to the dining table? But I like that it brings definition to the kitchen. Thoughts?

Design 2

Design 2 was Designed to extend counters under the window And requires moving the dishwasher and the fridge. It will cost more in labor. But Im not sure if I like the range being so close to the dining area? I was debating doing open shelving Instead of upper cabinets on the window wall and moving the microwave somewhere else, to improve the transition to the dining room; but my builder insists I will loose too much storage. Thoughts?

would love any general comments and ideas, thanks!

Comments (31)