SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michey1st_gw

Your Vote Counts! Help me pick a layout

michey1st_gw
7 years ago

Hi Everyone!

So, through various threads on these forums, i've narrowed down the layout options for my new kitchen. Was hoping to put them all out here to see if i'm on the right track, decide which are non-starters, and go from there. But first, here's some background for those of you that are new to my threads =)

Background:

About us: we are a family of 2 (no kiddos except for furbabies) and we love to cook together, usually 3-4 times per week, leftovers other days. We entertain small groups of people (2-4 guests) about every month, and we also tend to host Holidays for 10-15 people depending on who happens to be in town.

About the house: Our house is a 1960 cookie cutter ranch. 3 bedrooms and 1 bath on the main floor, another bedroom/bathroom in the basement. The house has an addition on the back which we plan to make into our family room (right now, the TV is in the rec room in the basement). Our "formal living room" right off the front door is never used, and we don't really use our tiny "formal dining room" because it is so dark and small. We tend to congregate in the back room, or down in the basement, when people come over.

Goals of remodel:

1. More prep space, larger sink and good storage.
  2. Better natural light -- current kitchen is devoid of windows and dining room window is wide but short/high. Would like to take better advantage of its south-facing exposure.
  3. Larger dining area for when guests are around (other times, we eat on the couch or plan to dine at our new island or peninsula)
  4. Add TV watching area to main floor (proposed in the family room).
  5. Move coffee station (currently in family room on a kitchen cart) back into the larger, roomier kitchen. Give it convenient access to filtered water.
  6. Maximize the use of our main floor, rather than having 2 rooms we never use....

So, to accomplish all this, we propose to convert our never used formal living room (right off the front door), into a sometimes-used formal dining room. It will be roomy, light filled, and oh-so dreamy.

The existing tiny dining room and tiny kitchen will be combined into a larger space (measuring 10'8 x 19'6 with an extra foot of floor space where we plan to remove an existing wall between kitchen and family room in the back of the house.

Here's what that new floorplan looks like (disregard furniture in family room and specifics of kitchen -- that's why I am here =):

With me so far? GREAT!

Here's the layout of the kitchen space:

Some points to consider:

• I'd like to avoid the fridge on the long wall unless it's absolutely, positively the best thing to do. I feel it will eat up too much space into a room that's already narrow and long. There's lots of opportunities for deep placement in the short walls (to make it even with surrounding cabinetry.
  • It's a brick exterior home, so i'd like to avoid many changes to windows (except I have one layout below that does just that... it's still a contender, but I will have to justify the cost by it being "the best thing to do".)
  • I can steal a foot of space from the dining room if need be (the wall that's to the right of the doorway to dining room), but again, only if it's "the best thing to do", lol.

So, let's get down to some layouts!

OPTION 1

Pros:

• LOVE the aesthetic of stove between windows.
  • Island is kept clear for meals or as overflow space for serving.
  • Good use of dish storage close to DW.
  • Coffee station right next to fridge for fetching water.

Cons

• rejiggering the windows will add to budget
  • Fridge is across the doorway, but we don't have a ton of traffic issues, so not really a huge concern.
  • No prep sink (but with a large enough main sink, i think i'd be ok with this). I'm still amenable to adding a prep sink, but having a hard time figuring out placement that works in this configuration.

OPTION 2

Pros

1. Clearly defined prep and cleanup, although there's that walkway right there (not a huge deal)
  2. Coffee station has convenient access to water.
  3. Dish storage close to DW, but far from dining room (not a huge deal).

Cons

1. Cleanup sink is smaller (30", but can be expanded, so not really a con, I guess...)
  2. Not a fan of the prep sink right in your face as you walk in to the kitchen.
  3. Island feels dinky, but can be made beefier by expanding into dining room. Still, not a ton of counter frontage facing the stove.
  4. There may be a floor transition between kitchen and family room. Orienting the chairs this way means they may get caught up in how the wood meets the tile.

OPTION 3

Pros

1. Really like the fact that fridge and prep sink are near the FR. Makes for easy drink fetching.
  2. Like the distance bw prep and fridge.

Cons

1. Short side of island is facing stove, means that prep would have to "slide down" the length of island to eventually get to stove.
  2. Will have to bump in to dining room to get large sink (or downsize to 30")
  3. Dish storage may be a few steps away from DW, which may involve maneuvering around someone prepping (it's happened with our current layout).
  4. Feels kind of congested and pantry/coffee station is out in no-mans land
  5. speaking of coffee station... a THIRD SINK would be needed to provide access to filtered water conveniently. I don't even want to THINK about a 3rd sink, lol.

OPTION 4

Pros

1. Clear separation of spaces, which nicely unclutters the area around the fridge.
  2. Fridge is convenient to Family room

Cons

1. Where in the heck to I put my coffee station?!? =/
  2. No prep sink in island (adding one brings up that dang 3rd sink again. Don't want to go there.) Sink can probably be moved to island instead, but short side of island across from stove gives me pause.
  3. DW empties into upper cabinets, or drawers a few feet away, Not quite as convenient as being "right there".

Soooo, thanks to EVERYONE that has contributed to this discussion thus far! Really like to hear your thoughts on which you would choose, why, and/or what you would change to make things perfect!

Remember, your vote counts! =D

Comments (19)