SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ckinchen

Insurance claim advice

ckinchen
6 years ago

Hi! I had damage to my kitchen and my insurance company gave me a good amount to cover the damage (replace counters). I was pleased with what they covered. I have the quote from the adjuster's contractor's company but decided to use another kitchen company I liked more. I used the insurance companies estimate as a guide to what they will pay for. They sent me 75% of the claim and now that the work is done I need to turn in the rest of the invoices to get the remaining balance for the recoverable depreciation.

My question is in the insurance quote they gave 1700 to move my corian counters and put them back. I went ahead and replaced the countertops with new counters. It seemed silly to spend 1700 on just moving my old counters when I can spend a little more and get new counters. Does anyone know if the insurance company would have issue with giving me the 1700 since I spent more than that?

Also in their estimate they did not include a cost for the backsplash, but noted they could later if the backsplash was damaged while removing the cabinets. They did get ruined and I did replace them. I am not sure if I should include those invoices as well. The counters are a big expense and just easier to turn that in verses all the other little invoices like the backsplash . I am in Florida, if that makes any difference. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (3)