SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trh701

Help w/insurance claim

trh701
17 years ago

We recently had an insurance claim on our house. Now that the repairs are done the ins. co. is requiring me to sign a release stating "I release them from all further liability related to this claim". They will not pay the service providers or me until this release is signed. We have no way of knowing if there will be problems down the road. (We had water pipes in the attic that froze and broke, therefore, water rained down into my ceilings and a few walls.) The reason I am so skeptical is that there were several areas they had to re-do (more than once) - they blamed it on moisture retention in the ceilings and walls (this was 3 months after they were positive that they had dried out the house completely).

I have contacted my insurance commissioner who states that they can require this statement but does not know if it would supercede the state statute that says they have to cover this claim for six years. The insurance commissioner recommends I visit an attorney (however, money is very tight). Is there anywhere that I can get some good legal advice for little $$$.

Comment (1)