SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Looking for a truly matte waterproof coating

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have a bronze or brass metal cylinder that has a verdigris patina. I couldn’t come up with a use for it: it’s shaped like an umbrella stand but is way too tall and wide for it. Being stumped, I decided to make a lid for it, then it can be a plant stand, and I can always store something semi-permanently inside.

The verdigris patina on the original metal cylinder is totally matte: no sheen to it at all. I do NOT plan to change that at all.

I made the lid out of several layers of heavy duty cardboard, then coated it with layers of acrylic spackle (which has the benefit of being able to flex slightly), sanded it smooth, coated it with gesso, and faux-finished it to match with acrylic paints. It looks really good. I WILL be using it for plants, at least for now. I am careful but drips happen. Humidity under the saucers can happen.

But I am trouble finding any coating for it. It needs to be waterproof, plus protect the paint job from abrasions.

I have tried 3 different kinds of acrylic brush on-glazes so far, and even the ones stating “matte” turn out to be more satin. Even diluting I am dealing with brushstrokes, too. I can probably dilute them to avoid brushstrokes, but unless they are totally matte, I can’t use them anyway.

So I turned to going over the clear spray finishes I have. All turn out to have a bit of sheen to them as well.

Before I start buying and testing ones that turn out to be wrong, I am hoping someone will have found a matte clear spray one that they can recommend.

I didn't really know where to post this. So, cross posting to Home Decorating as well.

Thank you.

Comments (7)