SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dave_in_nova

Another Sky Valley brand 'Heirloom' navel orange thread

Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I tried the Sky Valley Heirloom navels for the first time. To me, these tasted like a navel orange ought to taste. Juicy with good orange flavor. Not pulpy or spongy. Satisfying.

So, can the California growers can help separate the marketing hype from the truth?

Truth or hype?: Heirloom variety?

The term heirloom usually implies an older variety. Like an heirloom tomato which doesn't necessarily look all that appealing, but tastes great. Sky Valley marketing seems to suggest this is an older, better tasting variety...“Old Line Washington Navel Oranges.” Is this not what most growers are using? Or have navel oranges been 'improved' over the years much like the Red Delicious apple?

Truth or hype? Sour orange rootstock? Age of tree?

Sky Valley says: 'For the large scale commercial grower this [Sour Orange] root stock and [Navel orange] variety are no longer desirable as they do not produce as quickly or as heavily as the newer stocks. It is, however, the root stock and the age of the trees [? what does age of tree have to do with it?] that gives Sky Valley its unique flavor profile and allows us to call its fruit “heirlooms”.

They don't say anything about sour orange being less resistant to tristeza virus. Are they hiding some truth here? I mean, if sour orange were so good, others would join in using it too. Then they could use the term heirloom as well. If it is in fact vulnerable to virus, could Sky Valley's orchards be wiped out easily?

Truth or hype?: Location, location, location...

However, Produce News says

“The location is the fundamental difference between the fruit from Sky Valley and anything else,” Randy Jacobson, Cecelia's sales manager, said in a press release. “You can measure Brix and you can measure the age of the trees, but the unique flavor of Sky Valley is as much due to its location as it is to the other factors. "

True or False?: Harvest time and time to market.

Or could it be they are picked at perfection and not treated and stored forever in a warehouse like most of the oranges we (don't) buy at our local East Coast grocery stores? Could it be that Trader Joe's, where I buy these, might just have a better distribution system from orchard to aisle?

Sky Valley says: 'Sky Valley Heirloom Navels aren’t inventoried, rather, each order is picked and packed specifically.'.

Not sure what they mean by 'inventoried', ...maybe 'stored'?

California growers still rave about the taste of a perfectly ripe, fresh fruit.

So, what is it then? Rootstock? Microclimate? Soil? Picked at perfection? Age of trees? Less storage time? All of the above? What is the most important factor? I'm just curious.

Whatever it is, I sure hope that other growers will stand up and take notice while their huge, pithy navels sit mummifying on the grocery story shelves.

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida