SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emwhitcher

Please help with kitchen cabinet crown molding dilemma

Eleanor Woolsey
6 years ago

Hi folks - long time lurker, first time poster here :)

We're doing over our kitchen with Ikea cabinet boxes and Scherr's custom doors/cover panels. Our ceilings are 90" high, so we are doing 30" wall cabinets, which leaves about 5-6 inches of vertical space, which our carpenter proposed to cover with a fascia board header and molding. When he attached the fascia board, he lined it up with the cabinet box, and not the cover panels/doors to avoid an obvious seam. My dilemma now is that, when we attach the crown molding, there will be a "gap" between the cover panel and the molding, if that makes sense. We could go with a taller piece of crown, but my concern is that crown molding to cover up 5-6 inches of vertical space would be huge and overwhelm the cabinets. I thought maybe using casing molding instead of crown? Any suggestions for a solution? Similar challenge overcome? Any suggestions welcome and much appreciated!

PS. I have no idea why in the second picture, the cabinet looks like it's tipping back. it's perfectly straight in real life!

Comments (14)