SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ni_2006

Please Help - Recessed lighting too close to crown molding

ni_2006
15 years ago

Dear GW friends,

Our contractor has been making great progress with the cabinet installation; however, yesterday we learned that the 6" recessed lights are going to be too close to the shaker style crown molding once the molding gets installed (note: it's not installed yet). I think there will be a 1 inch gap between the molding and the light. Unfortunately, 7 lights are affected throughout the kitche. Ouch!

The contractor claims that we told him that we wanted only a soffit (flat panel) all the way to the ceiling, and therefore installed the recessed lights so that there would be 21 inches from the wall to the center of the light. DH and I could swear that we told him that we wanted a two-piece molding (the soffit + the crown molding). He said that had he known about the crown molding, he would have placed the lights a couple of extra inches away from the original spot.

The contractor has already installed the flat panel and is waiting to hear our decision on whether we want him to add the shaker molding. DH and I think that the kitchen would look really nice with the shaker molding, which would be installed on top of the soffit shown here.

This is what the shaker molding looks like. Sorry I was not able to take a picture with my cabinets. Just use your imagination...

A couple of questions for you:

1) If we decide to get the shaker molding installed, would having a 1-inch gap between the shaker molding and the light look too weird and clumsy?

2) For those of you with crown molding that goes all the way to the ceiling, what is the distance between the light and the molding?

3) What do you think of the soffit/flat panel in the picture shown here? Does it look OK? Should we abandon the idea of adding the shaker molding on top of the soffit and stick with this look?

Note: my ceilings are only about 89 to 90 inches high and the wall cabinets are 30 inches tall. I think the soffit is about inches?

As always, thanks for your advice!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting