SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athenab

Shrink master bedroom for bathroom? Help!

ATHENA BARCHINI
6 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm preparing to redo our 50 year old master bath. It's pretty tiny, only 7'.1" x 6'6". Our contractor/designer really feel that we should take a foot from the master (originally they wanted 19" but we cut it back). But a relative who is a local realtor thinks that the larger master is more important than the size of the bathroom. Pushing the wall out will allow for a double-sink vanity which is usually desirable for resale. I don't see us staying here for more than 5 years as we are approaching retirement.

I haven't gotten all the numbers for the expansion yet, but I'm estimating that it would be between $4-5,000, mostly due to the additional plumbing requirements and fixtures.

Resale is very important to us at this point. Is that extra foot with the double vanity worth it? I should also mention that the walk-in closet is also small. I only mention it so that you understand the lack of a 'wow' factor for the master suite. We may eventually expand the closet by taking out the linen closet which is on the adjacent wall and you can see in the drawings.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

P.S. Layout 2 is with the 19" expansion not the 12" that we will be doing.

Comments (11)