SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 23 - 17 : 2, Bryce, Hawkes, Duffy

User
6 years ago

Quentin Bryce Quotes
Australian - Politician Born: December 23, 1942

For a very long time now I've been saying to young women, 'You can have it all, but not all at the same time.' How important it is to take very good care of yourself, of your mental and physical and spiritual wellbeing; it's hard to do. It's easier to be a workaholic than to have a truly balanced life.
Quentin Bryce

The thing we often forget to talk about, or perhaps we take for granted, is our country's dazzling beauty. Our natural environment is so much a part of Australia's art, writing, music and culture, both indigenous and non indigenous.
Quentin Bryce

Maternity leave and parental leave is absolutely vital for strengthening families. It's an issue for men and women.
Quentin Bryce

One of the most enjoyable things I do at Government House and when I travel around Australia is to talk with children. I tell them about our parliamentary democracy - and I often do that as I'm walking into an Executive Council meeting next door!
Quentin Bryce

Livelihoods and whole communities throughout the Murray-Darling Basin have been imperilled by the workings of drought, fire, flood, acid mud and human action over many decades. In the rescues and the cleanups and the long hauls, I see the same attitude over and again. People just rally and get on with it.
Quentin Bryce

The bonds that women share around the world, wherever we come from, they're very powerful and they have an ease of communication because we share those very important things of our families, our mothering, of improving opportunities for the next generation.
Quentin Bryce

The aboriginal women leaders of Papunya - the Papunya Artists - performed a dance for me: the Honey Ant dance. They'd never done it for anyone else. They honoured me with a ceremonial stick that signifies the story of the land.
Quentin Bryce

I support affirmative action. I support special measures when you need it.
Quentin Bryce

My mother played the piano and my father the violin, I can remember my dad teaching me how to waltz; I had my feet on his, my mother playing the piano, and my husband will tell you the lessons weren't very successful.
Quentin Bryce

We all go back to our roots. My father went to the central west, went to Ilfracombe in 1919. He was the manager of the wool scour there. And, Ilfracombe was right at the heart of Australia's great wool industry, and my mother was a teacher at Winton.
Quentin Bryce

I didn't have any Indigenous friends until I was in my 30s, and I'll always remember and be inspired by the remarkable friendship I had with Connie Bush, an outstanding Indigenous leader from Groot Eylandt on who was on the National Women's Advisory Council with me.
Quentin Bryce

I think we have to keep working enormously hard to see that every single Indigenous child - every Australian child - has true equality of opportunity. We've got to work harder at it. I think, you know, the heartland issue for us is the gap; the gap in life expectancy in this country.
Quentin Bryce

I think that young Australians ought to be taking language education much more seriously. I mean, you know, every day I'm meeting people with expertise, ability and talent in fields where I want to learn so much more; science, for example.
Quentin Bryce

It's a great privilege and an honour to have the experiences and opportunities that I do to meet extraordinary Australians right across our country who share a great generosity of spirit.
Quentin Bryce

I think there's a very clear recognition and understanding that the progress of women in business at the very highest decision-making levels is too slow. This is a discussion that's going on in every country around the world, actually.
Quentin Bryce

The Australian way of affirmative action is setting goals and recognising discrimination and lack of opportunity and deciding to take action and setting some goals and targets. I guess I prefer that language to talking about quotas.
Quentin Bryce

I believe the old boys' network is a powerful one. No one gives up power and privilege willingly, do they?
Quentin Bryce

I've never owned a pair of jeans, but I had a fantastic denim boiler-suit and it got a lot of wearing.
Quentin Bryce

All women need support when they're having their babies and their little families are in formation. I have to say I have a lot of concern about the numbers of women - and men, now - who are not getting the support that they need. There are not the families and the communities around that there used to be.
Quentin Bryce

Graham Hawkes Quotes
English - Designer Born: December 23, 1947

Everyone loves to fly, and flying underwater is even better than flying in air because there are things around you.
Graham Hawkes

There's something just magical about flight. Period.
Graham Hawkes

One time on a dive, I wound up drifting up in darkness surrounded by billions of photoluminescent creatures. It was a religious experience, one only a poet could do justice to.
Graham Hawkes

Space exploration promised us alien life, lucrative planetary mining, and fabulous lunar colonies. News flash, ladies and gents: Space is nearly empty. It's a sterile vacuum, filled mostly with the junk we put up there.
Graham Hawkes

The crazy thing is we live on an ocean planet - nobody gets that yet.
Graham Hawkes

The ocean is this beautiful, unexplored place. Why on Earth everyone isn't down there, I don't know.
Graham Hawkes

'Earth' is a silly name for this planet.
Graham Hawkes

The Deep Flight Challenger technology is a game-changer for ocean exploration.
Graham Hawkes

Scientists are always the ones who head into the ocean, but I want to take writers and politicians, people who can convey the beauty that is there and perhaps do something to take care of it.
Graham Hawkes

With the super-wealthy, I think what a lot of them want isn't things, it's experiences. Preferably ones that few people can have.
Graham Hawkes

Movies like 'The Abyss' and 'Jaws' make people think the ocean is threatening. It's not. It's very tranquil.
Graham Hawkes

I grew up before computers. Computers are changing things, not all for the good.
Graham Hawkes

Science is about filling in the details.
Graham Hawkes

The bulk of life on Earth lives in a peaceful place where the temperature is stable. There's hunting going on, but it's very civilized, like a slow ballet.
Graham Hawkes

I don't have to be smarter than anybody else. I've just plain worked harder and longer than anybody else.
Graham Hawkes

Pressure hulls collapse at the speed of sound. Once that starts, you're inside your own little imploding atomic bomb, and you're gone.
Graham Hawkes

If you go back to the early days of aviation, the guys designing it built it, and then they got in it and flew it. I mean, who does that anymore?
Graham Hawkes

If you build a Model T and you can see the Camry, you don't spend time tinkering with the T; you go straight to the next thing. Once you build the Camry, you can see the Ferrari, so you go straight to that.
Graham Hawkes

I think the future of this planet depends on humans, not technology, and we already have the knowledge - we're kind of at the endgame with knowledge. But we're nowhere near the endgame when it comes to our perception. We still have one foot in the dark ages.
Graham Hawkes

Carol Ann Duffy Quotes
British - Poet Born: December 23, 1955

The poem is a form of texting... it's the original text. It's a perfecting of a feeling in language - it's a way of saying more with less, just as texting is.
Carol Ann Duffy

Poets deal in writing about feelings and trying to find the language and images for intense feelings.
Carol Ann Duffy

Having a child takes you back to all those parts of your own childhood that you had hidden away.
Carol Ann Duffy

I grew up in a bookless house - my parents didn't read poetry, so if I hadn't had the chance to experience it at school I'd never have experienced it. But I loved English, and I was very lucky in that I had inspirational English teachers, Miss Scriven and Mr. Walker, and they liked us to learn poems by heart, which I found I loved doing.
Carol Ann Duffy

I like to think that I'm a sort of poet for our times.
Carol Ann Duffy

I am always pleased to be asked to write a poem.
Carol Ann Duffy

If we think of what's up ahead, with climate change and wars over water, it's very frightening.
Carol Ann Duffy

You can find poetry in your everyday life, your memory, in what people say on the bus, in the news, or just what's in your heart.
Carol Ann Duffy

I still read Donne, particularly his love poems.
Carol Ann Duffy

I think the dangers are different now. Our abuse of the planet and our resources is an anxiety.
Carol Ann Duffy

The moment of inspiration can come from memory, or language, or the imagination, or experience - anything that makes an impression forcibly enough for language to form.
Carol Ann Duffy

I have piles of poetry books in the bathroom, on the stairs, everywhere. The only way to write poetry is to read it.
Carol Ann Duffy

Between 9am and 3pm is when I work most intensely.
Carol Ann Duffy

Every day is a gift with a child, no matter what problems you have.
Carol Ann Duffy

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
Carol Ann Duffy

Auden said poetry makes nothing happen. But I wonder if the opposite could be true. It could make something happen.
Carol Ann Duffy

Edinburgh is my favourite city. We'll be doing a lot of children's theatre and galleries.
Carol Ann Duffy

It's always good when women win things in fiction because it tends to be more male-dominated, unlike poetry, which is more equal.
Carol Ann Duffy

When you have a child, your previous life seems like someone else's. It's like living in a house and suddenly finding a room you didn't know was there, full of treasure and light.
Carol Ann Duffy

I write in that space between Ella's childhood and mine. I know it all sounds a bit sinister.
Carol Ann Duffy

Like the sand and the oyster, it's a creative irritant. In each poem, I'm trying to reveal a truth, so it can't have a fictional beginning.
Carol Ann Duffy

Christmas is taken very seriously in this household. I believe in Father Christmas, and there's no way I'd do anything to undermine that belief.
Carol Ann Duffy

I write quite a lot of sonnets, and I think of them almost as prayers: short and memorable, something you can recite.
Carol Ann Duffy

My prose is turgid, it just hasn't got any energy.
Carol Ann Duffy

I'll be left writing picture books and fairy tales.
Carol Ann Duffy

If I felt, in the event of a royal wedding, inspired to write about people coming together in marriage or civil partnership, I would just be grateful to have an idea for the poem. And if I didn't, I'd ignore it.
Carol Ann Duffy

I always say that I'll have a go and see whether the poem works and if it does, then fine.
Carol Ann Duffy

I still have a feeling that I haven't written the best that I can write. I think all poets must feel this: that there is constantly something new to be discovered in the language. It's like a thrilling encounter, and you can find things.
Carol Ann Duffy

I see the shape of the poem before I start writing, and the writing is just the process of arriving at the shape.
Carol Ann Duffy

The poem is the literary form of the 21st century. It's able to connect young people in a deep way to language... it's language as play.
Carol Ann Duffy

I think poetry can help children deal with the other subjects on the curriculum by enabling them to see a subject in a new way.
Carol Ann Duffy

I always wanted a child. Being a mother is the central thing in my life.
Carol Ann Duffy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions