SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chunter1001

GE Cafe Induction Range Questions

Chris Hunter
6 years ago

Has anybody had any experience with the new GE Cafe induction range model CHS995SELSS?

I’m torn between it and the Bosch Benchmark slide in. I really like the GE’s dual oven option, which puts its slightly over the Bosch in my book. But I’m nervous to purchase it unseen and without finding many reviews.

Thanks!

Comments (248)

• pstein15
    5 years ago

Added on warranty. If you take the bargain priced Square Trade Warranty through Costco, the Citi Card adds two more years making it 7 full years. Read the Citi terms. I have the LG 4617 induction range through Costco. Wonderful in every respect. I did buy my microwave at Home Depot. Costco didn’t have what I wanted. Bought their Asurion extended warranty. Paid with Citi. That’s 7 years Warranty as well.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

Thanks, Margaret, I didn't see the custom knob option on any of the sites I visited. I wonder if there is an up charge for different finishes.

• Related Discussions

GE Cafe induction range “simmer”

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi I’ve had the GE Cafe induction range for just a short while, had gas before. It sounds silly, but I’m having trouble finding a “simmer”. Knob is marked LO 2 4 6 8 HI, with half marks between each. I seem to get temperature either too high or too low. I’m getting ready to test with water and thermometer but thought I’d see if anyone can advise. Thanks!
    ...See More

Is the GE Cafe induction range with double ovens is discontinued?

Q

Comments (3)
    Thanks Lawrence. I checked with Lowes and Home Depot with the same delivery date as you posted, which means that is the time to process the order, but no idea of when or if it I would received it. GE told me it was last manufactured Febuary 2019. It will become obsolete in July. There is one in Chicago, but i'm a long ways from there. Now I'm wondering if there is a newer model coming out. I did get a model #CHS950P2MS1 from GE. I will see if I can find something on that number online.
    ...See More

Induction ranges: LG LSE4617ST vs. GE Cafe CHS950P2MS1

Q

Comments (5)
    I have the previous version (just the single oven + warming drawer). The new ones were just coming out when we ordered appliances, but I didn't like the look of the white with our new medium-dark cherry cabinets and a stainless steel hood. And the black just seemed too black. So I gave up on the double oven. I've been thrilled with the induction, although the knobs are very easy to adjust by accident if you are the type to lean on the front of the stove when cooking. On the plus side, they are super easy to adjust the temperature in small increments. I second the Profile if you are looking to save $$$. The induction top is the same, it is just a bit scaled down in features (touch controls vs knobs, no warming drawer/second oven, etc).
    ...See More

Cafe “Modern” induction range vs Profile Induction range

Q

Comments (18)
    @lynne3450 Which one did you ultimately get? If you go t the cafe, would you mind sharing your setup, I am curious as to how it looks in a non-showroom kitchen. I think the price difference is because of the material used and smaller production run. @katj461 There is a comprehensive thread on induction range if you search "induction range" that briefly talks about them. I've heard the kitchenaid takes 30 minutes to preheat because of the large oven size and has a weird control.
    ...See More
  • Margaret Mason
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Wow pstein15, good to know, thank you! $119.99 for the Square Trade 3 year is a great price. Waverley66, a local appliance dealer told me today that the custom knobs won't be available until April 1 - that Cafe is just shipping the white with bronze, and the stainless steel model right now. But that there will be no upcharge once they're all available. The dealer also told me his warranty covers power surges, which GE does not cover. Wondering if anyone has thoughts on that? One more thing I learned - if you order the range by April 1 (which apparently you can do with custom knobs), you'll qualify for a rebate of a free Hestan Cue Smart pan ($200 pan).

• Margaret Mason
    5 years ago

Update/Correction: I just spoke to customer service at Cafe. She said the double oven induction range CHS950P4MW2 is indeed available now and there IS a BIG upcharge for changing out the knobs/handles: $499. She said it gets ordered separately as an accessory kit and they change it out when they install, so you keep both the brushed bronze (which is standard) and whatever you ordered. So the local dealer had this all wrong.

• Margaret Mason
    5 years ago

Also - she said the unit has a surcharge protector built into it - and you'd actually void your warranty if you plugged it into anything but the wall outlet. And in my area (Michigan), it will be back in stock at Costco on Jan. 17th. Here's the number to call if you want to check availability in your own area: (800) 692-6630

• waverly6
    5 years ago

I can't press "like" for this answer . Houzz needs a dislike button. Or like Facebook, sad face or angry face. Wow, that's a hefty price for some bling. Does that include the handle as well? So that is the matte white model which comes with bronze knobs. So does anyone know what is standard with the stainless steel model. I wonder if its stainless knobs? If I go with this choice in oven I'd probably want the stainless model with bronze (or other ) knobs and handle . Maybe it's worth advertising somewhere for someone. who ordered something different and wants to sell their bronze knobs. Thank you for your answer.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

Thank you . I'm not quite ready to order yet. I am still at the stage of researching the different appliances so that I can design my kitchen around my choices.

• waverly6
    5 years ago

I also wonder if it's worth asking one's local appliance dealer if they price match.

• Margaret Mason
    5 years ago

I know! I couldn't believe how $$ for the knobs and yes, the handles are included. Yes, it's the white that comes w/brushed bronze. Did not ask about the stainless steel one, sorry. And yes, this local appliance dealer did say they'd match the price, but not the warranty (they offer their own 5 year warranty for $300), and also would charge $30 for haul away. So Costco it is!

• pstein15
    5 years ago

Don’t forget. Costco has a 90 day return policy. In reading reviews of a variety of products, too many horror stories of products that never worked right. Home Depot is one of the worst with appliances. You ordered it, it’s yours. if not defective, no returns. Very few product exclusions. On the microwave I ordered online, a few months back, we deciced to make a change about 12 hours after ordering it. . Product was days away from being shipped. Was told it was late too change the order. If defective, you must notify them within 48 hours. If not defective, no returns. My understanding is that Home Depot acts as an order taker, rather than the seller. Your contract is with the manufacturer. Please check it out. Google HD appliance return policy. Also, go to their site. Pick a major appliance, scroll down, and check the specs. It will say non returnable.

• kperrinward
    5 years ago

The good thing Home Depot has a 10% off for military, active or retired.

• mnovak99
    5 years ago

The bad thing about Home Depot is the 10% off is just as you stated. Lowes adds veterans to that group. I find that when making small purchases at HD the unknowning cashier will often accept my veterans card but when I get to big purchases they follow the policy (no discount for veterans). Lowes has my veterans status linked to myLowes account and always automatically applies the discount.

• Melanie
    5 years ago
    We got very lucky with Lowes. We always get the 10% military discount and were able to return large appliances as well. Our local Lowes in zip 33511 will work with us until we're satisfied. I ordered a Bosch microwave and Bosch electric slide-in range. They installed the wrong model microwave, but sent someone to uninstall it and re-install the old one. The re-install took a bit of complaining, but they did it. The reason I wanted the old one back was, because when they delivered the range, it did not fit at all. The back is different from other ranges and it stuck out about a foot. They aborted the install, and took it back to the store, where I later saw it out on the floor at a steep discount. I received a full refund for both. Oddly, I still received the 10% Bosch rebate pre-paid credit card a month later...
  • spagano
    5 years ago

We are about to replace our original Kenmore (looks like GE made) OTR microwave and smooth top electric range with one of the GE Cafe induction ranges. We're going back-and-forth between the double oven model and the single oven with the OTR Advantium and hope to make our decision this week. We had no idea about Costco selling appliances and the warranties so THANK YOU! And also thanks for all the great information.

• pstein15
    5 years ago

Spagano.

After having a double oven for 5 years, we went back to single.

We used the top oven 95% of the time. We used the bottom oven for storage. The top section did not have a convection fan, and had the elements under the racks, making cleaning difficult. The bottom oven, which is less convenient to use, has the convection, and the element on the back wall, not under the racks. That makes cleaning much easier. It seemed silly to pay for a nice convection oven, and only use the top non convection hard to clean oven. The double oven does heat up faster, due to the smaller cavity, but not worth it. You also need to bend down awkwardly, when lifting heavy items from the lower oven, and get no storage at the bottom.

• Robert Kendall
    5 years ago

Hi everyone I cannot seem to find this info but what is the temp range of the oven?

• stanfield95
    5 years ago

I’ve been in the market for an induction stove for over a year. The “really nice ones” were way out of my price range and the lower priced ones didn’t have that great of reviews, so I pretty much scratched the idea of being able to get one. Something told me to stop by a local kitchen/appliance store yesterday and they had a returned GE Cafe slide-in induction for $1850! I googled reviews and saw that it had pretty great reviews.....then I grilled the salesman about why it was marked down so much other than a minor scratch on the top (that I can totally live with for such a markdown)? He said he wasn’t sure, but he assured me it wouldnt be a mechanical issue and it had not been repaired - he assumed buyer’s remorse. It still comes with the 1 yr warranty, too. I am SO excited about my bargain find!!

Happy to find so many positive comments about it here, too. :)

• mnovak99
    5 years ago

If your lucky it was returned for the scratch and is uninstalled. More likely it was scratched during the removal and return. I can't tell from your pic but you may want to check if the top trim piece is there. It gets added during installation and sometimes lost. Often pieces like this are difficult to get from GE. Still not a deal breaker. If you go back my post Feb 18, 2018 in this thread you will see a pic showing the piece. Also another post of mine on the same day has a link to Amazon with 2 reviews on this range. The second one was a successful scratch and dent purchase. You may find it interesting.

• mnovak99
    5 years ago

Robert Kendall

Top temp setting is 550, both upper and lower.

• Robert Kendall
    5 years ago

Thank you for the temp range! How are people finding the events of the heating in the ovens.

• pstein15
    5 years ago

Double check the temp max. My new LG induction, model 4617 has an infrared option for searing steak. Hi and Lo infrared option. Max temp is 700 . Warped my highly reviewed broiler pan within 10 minutes. Will try infrared low next time

• mnovak99
    5 years ago

Robert Kendall

In regard to your question on the events of heating in the ovens, my wife is the main user and does an unbelivable amount of baking. I was a little hesitant to buy a new range because I was sure she would find issues but so far no issues. I would say her favorite feature is having a double oven. Both ovens reach set temp fast. I did post a time test somewhere in the beginning of this thread. They are both accurate and convection works well. I did put a temp probe in the ovens thinking I would calibrate them but none was required. I do like the idea that you can calibrate the oven if necessary. So many other ovens are off with no easy calibration method.

As far as the temp setting I provided in a previous post, that is the maximum setting in bake mode. Both ovens have a high and low broil mode which I never checked the temp on.

• Jane Plain
    5 years ago

I'm picking up my GE CHS995SELSS on Feb 23 and really happy I found this thread. Great info, esp. on height, flush back plug, etc. So excited - and a little anxious for everything to go well. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Question: One concern is the range hood I need to buy. I do a lot of stove-top cooking, roasting, broiling, and baking. I've (pretty much) decided on an under cabinet baffle ducted hood, but will 400 cfm be enough? I want a good hood but not excited about having to get a manual air uptake if 400 cfm doesn't cut it. Thanks!

• Robert Kendall
    5 years ago

I'm confused about how these stoves can be on a 40 AMP circuit. It seems like there is way more power that could be drawn than could be supported by the unit. And I see no suggestion of power limiting unless they do it and just don't mention it. I guess maybe they assume there is never a situation where everything is going full bore.

• kim k
    5 years ago

following

• Donna Scappaticci
    5 years ago

I'm following this thread since I'm getting mine on Friday!

• Robert Kendall
    5 years ago

Can you get a reading on what the load plate is, I need it for a energy calc to make sure I pass code when I order it.

• stanfield95
    5 years ago

I’ve had the stove for a little over a month now and I absolutely LOVE it! It looked So bulky in the store and actually measured a smidge wider than my 30” slide in stove that it replaced, so I was so nervous that we were going to have to modify the space....but it fit like a glove. It’s a little higher than my countertop, but it doesn’t bother me nor has it posed a problem when cooking. I boiled over a pot of quinoa and it cleaned up like water on the floor. I have noticed with stainless steel pots, it does make a slight buzzing noise...but no noise with my Le Creuset pots. It is a GREAT stove so far and I’m still blown away that I got it 1/2 off (I thought for sure that because of the slashed price that it was going to be defected in some way).

Sorry, I can’t give any info on the power limits. I turn it on, it cooks, and the lights in my house stay on. Good enough for me. :)

• rtross
    5 years ago

Updating small kitchen and need to replace slide in Jenn-Air downdraft range on inside wall (30+ yrs no issues). Would love to have this GE cafe instead of another downdraft given current $ and reviews of down draft options (KA and Jenn-Air) Would appreciate hearing your experience if you have the GE Cafe with only OTR microwave recirculating for ventilation. Anyone happy with a particular OTR performance and look?

• spagano
    5 years ago

Hello All! We've had the single oven range for about six weeks now and LOVE it. In all honesty we are not huge cooks but my husband loves to bake bread so the oven gets a lot of use. I am amazed at how quickly the pans heat up and love the ease of cleanup.

As for pans-not ONE SINGLE pan we owned worked with induction so we've slowly started purchasing new ones. We had a lot of pans but are limiting ourselves to what we really use. We did a fair amount of research and ended up with Demeyere and LeCrueset and were able to take advantage of outlet prices. We have a 10" LeCrueset fry pan that we are still learning how to use, a 11" LeCreuset non-stick fry pan we use for eggs and love, a 5.5 quart Demeyere stock pot, and a 3.2 Demeyere saucepan (which is ideal for making boxed mac and cheese if you're interested). We also picked up a LeCreuset round dutch oven but I don't remember the size. The quality and construction of all the cookware is outstanding.

Installation (through Costco) was painless. Our range arrived in perfect condition in the time frame they stated. If. you can get a scratch and dent product do so. We've already put a few minor scratches in ours (that only we notice) but it still looks great. I wasn't sure about the Cafe series because I didn't really like the knobs but now I love them.

The oven heats up fast but it does need about an extra 10 minutes to completely reach the set temp in the entire cavity. We store our Advantium accessories in the warming drawer. On that note-we decided on the 220 OTR Advantiium instead of the double oven range and are pleased with our decision. That was an interesting story as I KNEW I needed to have our electric upgraded and then completely forgot until the day of installation when the installers pointed it out. So it lived in it's (huge) box in the corner of our kitchen until our electrician was available. It's currently self-venting but we're making some updates to our kitchen and will vent it outside when we do the other work. Our current kitchen has a ton of storage and is very roomy so even though I don't love the cabinets we've slowly been making it look better. That said our next house (retirement) I will definitely get a double oven set-up with one being the deeper Advantium we love it that much.

• pstein15
    5 years ago

I wrote a lengthy comment above. Look for my name. I would not get another double oven even though the top oven heats up faster. We use the convection oven daily. Love it. Every double oven we looked at only had convection in the bottom oven. Too inconvenient. Cleaning is too difficult in the top oven.

• Sue Guilford
    5 years ago

Our son and daughter-in-law bought one recently. This is the stove I wanted but nobody made an electric range with induction cooktop in 2006 when I did our kitchen remodel. (However, I did learn about induction from this website, for which I am forever grateful. Our son and DIL were sold on induction after using mine.). I like the Cafe unit so much that I am tempted to replace my induction cooktop over a wall oven. The double oven is much better than what I have, which is a single oven plus a microwave/convection oven because the small oven in the Cafe unit can do any temperature, unlike my microwave/convection unit which can only go to 350 degrees.

• pstein15
    5 years ago

Does the small oven have real convection?

• Donna
    5 years ago

Only the lower oven has convection but I find the top perfect for most meals.

• trevorpappa
    4 years ago

These Cafe induction ranges with the analog knobs in front: Are the power levels infinitely variable (analog control), or are there discrete power levels? I've looked at induction ranges from over a dozen brands and they all have discrete power levels. Other brands with knobs (LG, Samsung, Berzzatoni) actually control a digital power display (0-9). The GE Profile induction range PHS930SLSS, which is VERY similar to the GE Cafe, has a touch control with about 20 power levels.

• kperrinward
    4 years ago

That’s such a good question but I’m not sure. I've always felt like it’s infinitely variable however. There are no obvious power levels at all. Seems the same variation as a gas range. I love using it. I’ve had the double oven cafe range since Thanksgiving and love the induction.

• mnovak99
    4 years ago

Infinitely variable

• Ivy Lou
    4 years ago

I read through this entire thread and got a lot of good info on the Cafe induction range with double oven, but I was wondering if anyone who has one still likes it and thinks it's reliable? I've been doing my own research, but I think it would be helpful to have some real world feedback from the folks who have had it for a while.

• Donna
    4 years ago

I have the GE Induction slide-in range with the double oven. I purchased it about 3 months ago. So far I love it. I did have to purchase some new pots and pans due the magnetic issue. Although I did see the BOSCH induction range, the bottom oven was smaller than the GE. My dealer suggested I go with the GE and so far I haven't been disappointed. Previously, I had a GE Profile smooth top and believe me I cook meals in half the time. It's amazing. Be aware that if you have older cabinets, the newer ranges don't go down as low so the range will be a bit higher than the cabinets. I didn't care!

• Robert Brown
    4 years ago

I’ve had it since May 2018. No issues at all. It’s still wonderful and I’m very happy we decided to go with it.

• kperrinward
    4 years ago

I’ve had mine for 7 months now, no problems and still love it.

• mnovak99
    4 years ago

Donna

I had the same issue with the range being higher than the countertop. The countertop is exactly at the proper height of 36" but the lowest you can adjust the range down to is 36-3/16. My bet is this is a carry over from the older GE frame design where the slide in range top slightly overlapped the countertop. The minimum range height was designed so you could not go any lower and put strain on the range top. The best solution I have found is to use the optional GE stainless steel trim kit. I posted a pic of it in this thread back on Aug 5 , 2018.

It's getting close to 2 years since I installed mine and still loving it.

• Brigid M
    4 years ago

Hi GE Cafe series purchasers--has anyone purchased any of the white matte/brushed copper pieces from this series and found a microwave drawer (any manufacturer) to match? A white microwave drawer seems to be the unicorn of kitchen appliances. Any leads for us?

• Cotton Rockwood
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic information and reviews. I'm very interested in this range but am specifically hoping for the white base with stainless knobs and handles. I called GE and they said it costs $500 for the alternate trim which is probably a deal-breaker for me. I'm posting on the slim chance that there is someone out there who is purchasing the stainless or black model (with stainless trim) and wants to trade trim for the brushed bronze that comes with the white model. If so, please contact me ASAP!!

• spagano
    4 years ago

I love the look of the different color families but it really raises the price. When I read $500 I thought "wow, that's not awful" and then realized it is, in fact, ridiculous! They do look great though. In lieu of a microwave drawer could you have a cubby built with doors that slide back when using the unit? Then you could get any microwave you want (and not worry about finding a replacement if it dies) and it will still look great in your kitchen.

• Robert Brown
    4 years ago

So GE doesn’t make this range anymore. Anyone know or think that because of that it’ll be difficult to get repairs done in the future? Lack of parts? Kinda disappointing they no longer make it as I find it absolutely perfect in about every way.

• Robert Brown
    4 years ago

Spoke too soon? I found this. Pay extra for guided cooking features I’d never use, but it looks like the same range, so that’s good.

https://www.cafeappliances.com/appliances/CHS950P2MS1/overview

• elainederosa
    3 years ago

Just ordered 2020 Cafe Induction range with single oven. After reading the comments, I’m glad I did. For me the back breaking bend necessary when using the bottom oven was the deal breaker. BTW, the stainless option comes with Stainless knobs, standard.

at present I am using small portable induction Unit to cook and I love it. Looking forward to the full range top.

• spagano
    3 years ago

Welcome to the club :)

• Nancy Davenport
    3 years ago

Has anyone had an error 350.? I think a small piece of uncooked spaghetti scooted into the vent at The back of the cooktop and down into the fan. There was a rattling sound and then the error and then the stove shut down. I did everything suggested with errors. Cleared the error, let the unit cool down and still an error. Then disconnecting the power source for a minute. It’s on its own breaker so I just threw the breaker. Yes, my fault, but it Seems like a design error if items can end up in the fan! Still throwing the error. Other than that, I love this stove. Next step technician? Ugh.