SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marktphillips64

Carrier Greenspeed HP vs. Comfort 14 Hp

marktphillips64
6 years ago

We are building a new home in the mid-Atlantic (VA). The builder is offering two choices for the upstairs zone. The standard choice is a Carrier Comfort 14 HP with heat strips, the alternative is the Carrier GreenSpeed (Variable Speed Compressor / Blower). The cost difference is about $7K; should be a 4T unit. The Greenspeed will come with all of the bells and whistles of typical infinity system. The downstairs will be a typical 92% NG furnace with 14 SEER A/C. I will leave that as-is.

The builder will not install a NG furnace in the attic. The upstairs zones is about 2000 sqf. and I doubt I will get a payback from efficiency over the lifetime of the unit. I am considering the option because of summertime dehumidification and COLD weather performance. The latter being more significant.

I have no experience with HPs; Is this an intelligent decision? As can be noted, I am basically trying to decide between Carriers most basic and expensive unit.. How does Carrier's Comfort series (14 - Single stage) perform in below freezing temperatures? Relies on the heat strips significantly? Will there be a noticeable cold weather "comfort" difference? This unit will supply all of the bedrooms. I am very interested in your real world experience and/or opinions with these units.

Comments (8)