SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 16 - 17 :4, Clarke, Blake, Dees, Ullmann

User
6 years ago

Arthur C. Clarke Quotes
English - Writer December 16, 1917 - March 19, 2008

The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale.
Arthur C. Clarke

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.
Arthur C. Clarke

New ideas pass through three periods: 1) It can't be done. 2) It probably can be done, but it's not worth doing. 3) I knew it was a good idea all along!
Arthur C. Clarke

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.
Arthur C. Clarke

How inappropriate to call this planet Earth when it is quite clearly Ocean.
Arthur C. Clarke

It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

I don't believe in astrology; I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.
Arthur C. Clarke

It may be that our role on this planet is not to worship God - but to create him.
Arthur C. Clarke

It is not easy to see how the more extreme forms of nationalism can long survive when men have seen the Earth in its true perspective as a single small globe against the stars.
Arthur C. Clarke

Every revolutionary idea seems to evoke three stages of reaction. They may be summed up by the phrases: 1- It's completely impossible. 2- It's possible, but it's not worth doing. 3- I said it was a good idea all along.
Arthur C. Clarke

I don't believe in God but I'm very interested in her.
Arthur C. Clarke

I have a fantasy where Ted Turner is elected President but refuses because he doesn't want to give up power.
Arthur C. Clarke

I don't pretend we have all the answers. But the questions are certainly worth thinking about.
Arthur C. Clarke

We have to abandon the idea that schooling is something restricted to youth. How can it be, in a world where half the things a man knows at 20 are no longer true at 40 - and half the things he knows at 40 hadn't been discovered when he was 20?
Arthur C. Clarke

Our lifetime may be the last that will be lived out in a technological society.
Arthur C. Clarke

Reading computer manuals without the hardware is as frustrating as reading sex manuals without the software.
Arthur C. Clarke

The intelligent minority of this world will mark 1 January 2001 as the real beginning of the 21st century and the Third Millennium.
Arthur C. Clarke

If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Arthur C. Clarke

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Perhaps, as some wit remarked, the best proof that there is Intelligent Life in Outer Space is the fact it hasn't come here. Well, it can't hide forever - one day we will overhear it.
Arthur C. Clarke

This is the first age that's ever paid much attention to the future, which is a little ironic since we may not have one.
Arthur C. Clarke

Human judges can show mercy. But against the laws of nature, there is no appeal.
Arthur C. Clarke

When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
Arthur C. Clarke

Quentin Blake Quotes
English - Cartoonist Born: December 16, 1932

Going to hospital is rather like going to an alien planet.
Quentin Blake

Inspiration is some mysterious blessing which happens when the wheels are turning smoothly.
Quentin Blake

As an illustrator you need to understand the human body - but having looked at and understood nature, you must develop an ability to look away and capture the balance between what you've seen and what you imagine.
Quentin Blake

Sometimes people think drawing and painting is mucking about when actually it is a highly skilled activity.
Quentin Blake

I'm trained as a teacher; that's the only thing I've got a certificate for.
Quentin Blake

If you want to read and you want to draw, that helps you to express yourself.
Quentin Blake

You see, I don't draw from life at all, but I do look out of my window a lot.
Quentin Blake

Guinea pigs are quite difficult to draw, I think, because they're so furry.
Quentin Blake

I suppose illustration tends to live in the streets, rather than in the hermetically sealed atmosphere of the museum, and consequently it has come to be taken less seriously.
Quentin Blake

I think it is the fact that birds are two-legged, like us, which gives them something of our balance and gesture and makes them nearer to us.
Quentin Blake

I do like children, but only as people. Not as if they're a special category.
Quentin Blake

I draw every day - unless I'm being interviewed.
Quentin Blake

I don't like leaving work behind. I hate the idea that something might be happening on the drawing board at home that I am going to miss.
Quentin Blake

With my pictures, what I hope is that it encourages the reader to imagine more pictures of his own.
Quentin Blake

Television is kind of a disappointment. I often want to watch it, but I find it quite hard - I don't like soaps, reality TV or celebrity chefs.
Quentin Blake

I find that I can't work and listen to radio - either I find I don't like it and it distracts me, or I do like it and I want to listen to it.
Quentin Blake

I have an assistant who's very good at email, so I don't struggle with it.
Quentin Blake

I've never quite worked out how to do holidays. I've got a house in France which I suppose is a kind of holiday house. But it's really only so I can go on drawing when I get there. I'm never far away from the feeling that I want to be getting on with something.
Quentin Blake

I know some children's writers write for specific children, or for the children they once were, but I never have. I just thought children might like my sort of visual humour.
Quentin Blake

It was an accident of circumstance that I never married.
Quentin Blake

I don't think there's an illustrator who's as good as a Titian or a Rembrandt... but then, Rembrandt was a bit of an illustrator on the quiet, you know?
Quentin Blake

Well, one always has an instinct to be a painter, and I've done quite a lot of painting at one time or another, though not with any public success.
Quentin Blake

Being positive may be a character defect of mine.
Quentin Blake

I don't feel as if I belong to an age group.
Quentin Blake

A lot of my travel is at least partly work, visiting schools and libraries, especially in France.
Quentin Blake

The hateful thing about most hotels nowadays is that they only have duvets. I hate duvets.
Quentin Blake

I love the sea, but I avoid any sort of seaside resort that has skyscrapers or seaside entertainments.
Quentin Blake

Sometimes I think people get into trouble because they can't say what they want to.
Quentin Blake

I think it is important for children to read different things to find out about their emotions and other people's emotions. It is an enormous source of education and culture.
Qu tin Blake

I don't have anything interesting to conceal or reveal in my private life, and it is really only my work and professional life that I want to talk about.
Quentin Blake

Morris Dees Quotes
American - Lawyer Born: December 16, 1936

What a privilege to be here on the planet to contribute your unique donation to humankind. Each face in the rainbow of colors that populate our world is precious and special.
Morris Dees

The focus of tolerance education is to deal with the concept of equality and fairness. We need to establish confidence with children that there is more goodness than horror in this world.
Morris Dees

Without public pressure from caring people, our lawsuits will not be enough to stop this widespread abuse.
Morris Dees

Rarely in my 45 years as a civil rights lawyer have I been so angry about an injustice as I am about what happened to Billy Ray Johnson.
Morris Dees

It's hard to think what should make your blood boil more - what happened to Billy Ray or what didn't happen to those who abused him. It's something we can't ignore.
Morris Dees

You do stand alone sometimes. But my mother stood by me through all this.
Morris Dees

She was in a difficult position being the widow of a great American hero, a role that carried high expectations but she did a credible job of continuing Dr King's dream especially in the face of a changing and often hostile American public.
Morris Dees

Our supporters can send the message that it's wrong for politically connected corporations to make millions while people doing an honest day's work are being cheated out of an honest day's pay.
Morris Dees

A lot has happened since Dr. King left us. He probably wouldn't recognize the landscape if he saw it, but I still believe he would still have the same spiritual faith and also faith in us as people - not only people in our nation, but people in the world.
Morris Dees

Liv Ullmann Quotes
Norwegian - Actress Born: December 16, 1938

Hollywood is loneliness beside the swimming pool.
Liv Ullmann

We all need somebody to talk to. It would be good if we talked... not just pitter-patter, but real talk. We shouldn't be so afraid, because most people really like this contact; that you show you are vulnerable makes them free to be vulnerable.
Liv Ullmann

If only we could accept that there is no difference between us where human values are concerned. Whatever sex.
Liv Ullmann

Ibsen was Norwegian by birth, but universal in spirit.
Liv Ullmann

The older one gets in this profession, the more people there are with whom one would never work again.
Liv Ullmann

Sometimes I get a little tired of it. But you know, what a privilege, to get tired of working with Ingmar Bergman.
Liv Ullmann

The best thing that can come with success is the knowledge that it is nothing to long for.
Liv Ullmann

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions