SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louise0512

Help needed please. Small white bugs, unknown ID, in 'soil'

Louise (UK)
6 years ago

I'd be truly grateful for some advice, I'm exhausted but don't want to give up on my Ficus.

I recently re-potted the majority of my house plants into a new potting mix (55% coconut coir, 25% pumice, 20% worm castings, volcanic rock dust and a slow release organic fertiliser).

As the plants were in the starting mix from the garden centre (wanting to avoid any possible pests), I painstakingly washed them, removing every trace of soil from the roots (some of the plants suffered from this but I wanted to be thorough).

The new mix appeared to be working wonderfully, the plants all looked healthy and had new growth, but approximately two weeks after re-potting I noticed a tiny white bug on the surface of one of the plants 'soil'. I removed the bug and quarantined the plant from the rest.

A week later, the other plants in this mix all had the same white bugs (all very small and white, but some were fast moving, and others were rounder, slightly shiny and slower). I googled extensively but couldn't find a positive ID (I don't believe they were/are springtails, nor mealy bug), and they were/are too small for me to capture a clear photo. The infestation was large, and had appeared and multiplied so quickly I made the sad decision the throw out the plants and anything that had been in contact with them.

Sadly, a day before the bugs appeared on the other plants I had re-potted my ficus, Weeping Fig, into the new mix. Now, a week after potting the ficus, the bugs have appeared in the ficus 'soil'.

There are no visible bugs in the mix, but I presume that it (either the worm castings or coir) was contaminated with bug eggs that were activated once watered.

I love my ficus and I really don't want to discard it. It was (like the others) first watered with a neem oil soil drench (one teaspoon neem and one teaspoon organic castile liquid soap, in a litre of water). I have also tried spraying the soil with 99.99% alcohol and 'Bayer Bug Free' but I'm unsure if this currently has had any effect.

I understand that it's difficult without a photo or ID of the bugs, but is there anything I can do to stop them before they multiply? It's unclear at the moment if they are harmless soil mites or something detrimental to the plant, but given the speed they multiply it's not something I want in my home.

I was considering mixing 100ml of the Bug Free (http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Products/b/Bug-free) with the neem oil drench (two teaspoons instead of one), could this help without damaging the plant?

I will discard the components from the mix and repurchase from another company for future use, but I can't guarantee any other products wont be contaminated, and as the components aren't available from my local garden centre I will need to wait for them to arrive (giving the bugs time to multiply). It's a large plant and difficult to re-pot. Ideally I'd like to safely kill the bugs in the current 'soil' without having to re-pot and wash the Ficus again, but I will wait and re-pot if needed.

Any advice or suggestions are really appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!