SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gth842s

Do you have a favorite rootstock?

PacNorWreck
6 years ago

It's winter, which is always the toughest time for growing citrus. I can't help but notice that my indoor plants from Four Winds are always more problem-prone than my other citrus (dropping leaves in the depth of winter, random disease problems) and FWG allegedly uses C-35 rootstock for the majority of their trees. My lakeland limequat from Harris on volk is easily doing better this winter than my other indoor citrus, which makes me wonder if this has something to do with rootstock. I wonder if this is the volkamer rootstock or if kumquats are just tougher generally?

My personal theory is that volk is more vigorous and doesn't try to go dormant at all during the winter, whereas my trees on C-35 are exposed to cool night temperatures (in the 50s) and lower light levels and their trifoliate heritage might be expressing itself in low root activity that can't keep up with my grow lights.

So I'm curious, have you noticed that you get especially good results with any particular rootstock? If so, under what conditions does that rootstock shine?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County