SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgeezy20

Picea rubens potential project

Hi guys,

So I come to you all today with a question that hopefully isn't one of those nonexistent stupid questions ;).

Being in the mountains of east TN, I'm blessed with a ton of biodiversity basically in my backyard. I find all the different forest types very interesting, but one of the types I find the most interesting is one of the smallest, most threatened ones: the spruce-fir forests that dot the highest elevations.

The Fraser firs dominate at 6000'+, with the Red spruce being dominant down to about 4500-5000'. That being said, red spruce's range, depending on what source you use, is 2700'-5500'. I'm interested in that lower end of that range.

My family has some property that ranges from about 2500'-2900'. I've found several red spruce on this land, most being small, with the largest being about 15'-20' tall. I'm confident more searching will turn up a few others as well.

All that being said, I was wondering about the possibility of getting a small stand of red spruce going. Start with a small area, quarter of an acre or so, clear the existing trees and replant some of the red spruce I've found, and go from there depending on the results. Obviously more management practices will have to be done as well to keep the hardwoods from out-competing them, but generally speaking, does this sound plausible?

Thanks,

Kyle

I put this in "Trees" since it gets a little more traffic.

Comments (12)