SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Lynn's Wine Dinner Recap . . . OMG!

LynnNM
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

First of all, thank you all so much for your ideas and advice on what dishes to make, that would work best with our very special wine, especially Localeater, who asked her godson (a sommelier and major foodie) to evaluate my ideas. And Bonnie_ann, Anglophilia and Sherry_7bAL. The wine:

Anglophilia, I went with your suggestion of the Cumberland sauce. Sherry, thank you, I used the recipe that you linked here. Loved it, and yes it was the perfect sauce for the elk! Below, prepping:

As suggested by you all, I went with my longtime Wild Rice & Pinon (pine nuts) side, which is originally from the wonderful Santa Fe restaurant, Rancho Encantado. Perfect choice!!!

I marinated the elk tenderloin, which turned out to be already in about 1-inch thick slices, in a kind of Italian dressing for about 48 hours. And then DH grilled them for us. Served with the Cumberland sauce, they were delicious! Here's a close-up of our table last night. Anyone with sharp eyes will notice that in my haste to get pics before I forgot, I did forget to bring out the steak knives, water glasses and the wild rice. We did run back and get them, though (LOL)!

And a wider view. I'm still in the middle of decorating the house for Christmas, so the tree isn't up yet, but it is there hulking in a box over to the left. Please disregard (LOL):

But, the wine . . . oh, the wine, was truly delicious! I could taste a hint of ginger and of blackberries. We enjoyed it all the way through our dessert course of the cheese, walnuts and pear.

Again, thank you all for the inspiration, the advice, recipes . . . and for helping me gain the confidence to pull this off.

Comments (27)