SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kats_meow

Timeline to Prep House for Sale

6 years ago

I am trying to get a handle long it will take to get our house ready and prepped to put on the market. I've sold houses before (last time almost 7 years ago) but I don't really remember how long it took.

Of course, I know this depends to some extent on the time available to devote to it and what needs to be done so I'll give some information on that. Another question is at what stage to start interviewing real estate agents. I know what I've done in the past but maybe it wasn't optimal. That is, I contacted an agent very early and used their advice on what to do to get the house ready to sell.

DH and I can pretty much devote most of our time to this project (well, as much time as we want to devote). We are planning to move to another city (same state) to buy our retirement home.

We had originally thought we wouldn't move for 2 to 3 more years, but have decided that we would like to do it this year.

Current house is about 12 years ago. It is overall in good shape. It was in good shape when we bought it about 6 years ago. We did some upgrades. We put in wood flooring and retiled the bathrooms and utility room. House is about 3000 SF.

Things the house needs to get ready:

1. Declutter. House is terribly cluttered for someone living in it. I actually did a decluttering a couple of years ago so we actually have a lot of room in closets, etc. But, it isn't decluttered in the way you do to sell a house. We would need to pack away quite a bit of stuff and put it in storage. We have a few pieces of furniture that is functional for us but is worn looking. We would put it in storage and probably replace with staged furniture.

2. Repaint exterior of house. House is stucco. We were going to paint this year even if we weren't selling.

3. Repaint some/all of interior. Paint on the interior is mostly in good shape. But, some rooms are not neutral in color and we will need to paint. Most of the house is neutral and looks fine but there are some areas that could be repainted so we will probably do the whole house.

4. Need to do some yard work. House is on 1 acre. The front yard is mostly fine, but we removed a couple of tall plants from the front flowerbeds that we didn't like. We have never replaced them. There are some shrubs in the flowerbeds but some empty spaces that we need to put something in there. Backyard needs basic clean up.

5. Most everything in the house is functional and in good shape. So not a lot of repairs. There is one door frame that I want to replace. The front door hardware sticks and needs to be adjusted or replaced. But, overall, we have maintained the house.

6. Only carpet in the house is in 3 secondary bedrooms. That carpet needs to be replaced.

7. We may want to do some work in the utility room. When we bought the house it had this layout. On entering the room on the left was a sink with a small amount of counter space. Next to it was a tall freezer. On the right was the washer and dryer. There were overhead cabinets above the sink and above the washer.

Changes we made to suit us: On the right we stacked the Washer/Dryer (both front loading, of course). That allowed us to put our freezer on that side (the freezer is on the right as you enter the room, the stacked washer/dryer is past it). On the left we took out whatever counter was there (don't recall what it was). We then put a granite counter top the length of the room. Beneath the counter top where the freezer had been we didn't put any lower cabinet because we used that space as the place where we put the cat litter pan. So on the left what you have now is a sink with a long counter so you can fold stuff. Beneath the long counter there is a lower cabinet underneath the sink. Past that (where the freezer was) there is nothing under the counter except a space where we put the cat litter pan.

One option we have is to restore the original layout. We would unstack the washer/dryer and then move the freezer back to the original freezer space. To do that we would have to remove the long counter leaving the sink with a short counter next to it.

1. Interview and select real estate agent. I am thinking to do this somewhere during step 1. But, not sure if I should do it before step 1 or closer to the end. One reason to do it closer to the start is to help me decide part of what to put away. One reason to wait until closer to the end is so the agent can see the house in a more decluttered state.

2. Stage the house. We worked with stagers at our last house sale. They came in and told us what to remove for the duration. A lot of it I already knew but not all of it. They also brought in some furniture for specific rooms and brought in some decor items. The biggest furniture we would need in this case are in 2 rooms. We would need a sofa for the living area (that is one of the worn pieces of furniture we will put in storage). We also have a formal dining room that we use an exercise room (we have our exercise equipment in it). I expect that they will want us to stage it as a dining room so we would need furniture from them to do it. I don't know a stager in this area but would probably get feedback from whatever agent we use. Again, I would want to do this probably somewhere in stage 1 to get feedback on what to pack away.

Ideally I would like the house to be on the market in March, but April might be OK. Is that at all realistic?

Comments (20)