SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Ode To a Great Cook

l pinkmountain
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My aunt died last week, and she was one of the best cooks I have ever known. She had quite the reputation as a good cook too. I look a lot like her and we have a lot in common. Some folks say I am a good cook, but that is mostly just because I COOK, that is quite uncommon these days. But I can not approach my aunt. Occasionally I make a great meal or great dish, but all too often it is just OK. I don't really know why, perhaps I don't have the innate skill or patience or focus - I tend to try out a lot of new recipes for "healthy" or international or unique foods, and my aunt stuck with the tried and true for the most part, but still would debut fabulous new dishes from time to time. Part of it was raising three kids and cooking for her family and coming from a tribe that valued good food and family food-oriented gatherings. But that wasn't the whole story. She just had the knack. And she was quite mysterious too, she seemed to be able to pull out a fantastic meal out of seeming thin air. I know she often prepared things in stages. And she never had a fancy kitchen either.

Today I made a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. It was good, but not as good as my aunt's. That's the mark of genius, to be able to make just simple meals that taste great. The secret to great (not good) scrambled eggs is to cook them through but not overcook them, get them just right so they are creamy and flavorful. Not easy.

She made great traditional Jewish foods like blintzes, kugels, roast chicken, etc. but other memorable meals I had at her house was a barbecued turkey she made on a spit (never had turkey as good before or after) a fish dish where the fish was cooked in milk that became a fabulous cream sauce, elegant molded jello salads . . . but really it was just a pleasure to eat whatever she cooked. She could make great french toast or applesauce or vegetable soup or even a grilled cheese sandwich - whatever, it always had some kind of special magic taste.

She never shared her secrets and wouldn't allow anyone to help her in the kitchen - she found it annoying. But it wouldn't have mattered, there is only one Michaelangelo, and there was only one of my aunt and I have a huge hole in my heart now that she is gone.

Comments (17)