SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Eye Shadow - shimmer or no?

mtnrdredux_gw
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

For years I've used Chanel shadows. A year or so ago I got on the train to go to my office and realized I forgot my makeup (except tinted primer which i leave the house with). When i got to Grand Central I hurried over to Rite Aid, bought powder, blush, lipstick, lipliner, eyeliner, eyeshadow and mascara, grabbed a cab and had my face on in time for my 830 am meeting (pretty incredible for a train that arrived 8:12).

I ended up using those shadows every day but they've run out now and I cannot find them.

So yesterday I was shopping for others at Sephora and ended up buying some Nars shadows. The salesperson kept suggesting palettes, but I know from experience if you have 6 colors in a compact you end up wearing two down to the metal and the other 4 get thrown out, no? So I bought these two-for palettes, below.

Only thing I forgot was my old rule ....I do not like shimmery shadow! They are ok at night but too much during the day. Do you agree? Should i give these to the DDs and move on? Especially, I think as you age shimmer is a no-no (although I don't have wrinkles or anything). Do you have a matte color you like? I like Bobbi Brown but she has very few colors and none i loved.

Here are the shadows. I am fair, dirty blonde, blue/green eyes.

Comments (53)

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I think the right eyeshadow (color and finish) can make a big difference.

Personally, I don't like wearing matte anything. It's just dead on me. The trick is how much shimmer is okay. Obvs not frosted blue. But the tiniest bit can make it easy to apply and give it a fresher look. I have a Clinique palette that they discontinued and I stockpiled a few sets. The shimmer factor is very minimal.

I read somewhere that women over 50 shouldn't wear eyeshadow, but I think that's BS. I have started not wearing any during the week (just foundation, blush, eyeliner and mascara) and I've gotten used to it. But eyelids still can benefit from a bit of concealer or foundation.

A good eyeshadow is worth any price. Good luck on your quest.

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

More than highlighting wrinkles, shimmery shadows tend to crease despite primer and must be retouched. Many people retouch midday, in which case creasing would not be an issue. I retouch/refresh makeup (when I wear it.). I like the B.B. matte shadows, but you’re right, palette seems limited and something a girl feels like sparkling.

PS: you’re absolutely right that the 100 color palettes are a waste of $ if one uses 1-2 of the 25+ colors in the kit

• Related Discussions

Violet Shimmer

Q

Comments (4)
    Nice image; very close to capturing the true color. It can open three or four at a time with great branching and an abundance of buds for more flowers to come. It has won Queen twice here and in Texas and another place I've forgotten. Walter Moores
    ...See More

What Colour of Eye Shadow to use

Q

Comments (4)
    I somewhat disagree. I agree that you don't want to wear eyeshadow that's too BRIGHT, but I don't agree that you should match your eye color because that will serve to hide your eyes. I have green eyes, and I haven't worn green eyeshadow since I was in high school, and I'm now in my mid-50s. More than 20 years ago I used to go José Eber's salon in Beverly Hills on a semi-regular basis for haircuts, color, and perms. (Only had my nails done there once, cuz it was $70!) Had the whole shebang done there on my wedding day, including makeup. At that point in time, I sometimes wore a sort of teal shade of eyeshadow, sometimes pale greens, sometimes taupes, etc. The makeup artist told me that the best colors of eyeshadow with green eyes is purples, plums, etc. Wow! Did my eyes pop with the makeup she did. I've used varying shades of plums ever since and hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't tell me that I've got beautiful eyes. Go to the beauty counters in places like Nordstroms or Macy's. They will do free color consultations and will most likely do a free makeup session for you.
    ...See More

Brown eye shadow that doesn't disappear

Q

Comments (11)
    I use dark grey eyeshadow and used to have the same problem. After I apply my eye shadow I use a brush to apply a fine dusting of translucent face powder on top. After you put the powder on the brush tap the brush lightly to get rid of the excess powder. What is left is just enough to "set" the eye shadow without dulling the color.
    ...See More

Under eye shadows

Q

Comments (6)
    I'd use an eye cream 1st, then use a concealer cream instead of a stick. They're more pliable so to speak. I bought one from Ulta recently, it's a palette of different colors. One is a yellow base which neutralizes the blue of under eye circles. There's also a green for redness,a flesh toned and a setting powder. Rub your fingertip over the pan a bit to warm up the product, then PAT (very important) on the yellow with your fingertips, it really doesn't look yellow on, but it works wonderfully. Then blend with the flesh color and the set with the powder. For me it doesn't get cakey at all. Physicians Formula makes yellow & green based concealers but they stink IMO. I used to have V E R Y dry skin. I finally got that under control with daily exfoliating and certain cleansers & creams. Here is a link that might be useful: Ulta palette
    ...See More
  • Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    6 years ago

I use mainly Make up Forever shadows which are sold individually along with their empty 2 and 3 shadow palettes so you can make your own color groupings. I have the Urban Decay Naked Basics as well, the full collection has too much shimmer but the basics are less....glittery. :P

• sushipup1
    6 years ago

No shimmer! As this article says, it ages you.

From http://www.nextavenue.org/putting-your-best-face-forward-after-50/

"Just Say ‘No’ to Shimmery Eye Shadow

Mascara and eyeliner are fine for older women, our experts say, when
    applied with a light touch. For eye shadow, Teasley and Ferrara
    recommend neutral colors; they both say shimmery eye shadow ages older
    women. (Farewell, beloved sparkly Sugar Plum shadow!)

“Pick a neutral palate based on your hair color,” Teasley suggests.
    “Blondes can wear champagne or wheat-colored shadows, brunettes look
    good in coppery browns or cocoas and gray-haired women can try gray with
    a darker gray for contour.”

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Let’s be frank here. This woman is close to 80. Shimmer or no shimmer, lines are there. So what? that doesn’t mean a 50-60-70-80 woman can’t look pretty and a little shimmer doesn’t have to be verbotten, as long as no lime green or sky blue.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Oh sure you can wear them, the first photo is what I wear daily, I love Nars products. I have blonde highlights over brown and gold hair, I have a 3 color process, the beige and taupe work beautifully. I don't wear any shimmer, not a fan.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I think "satin" is more forgiving. It's the first step up from matte, less sparkly than what Jane is wearing, although she does look dandy, albeit ever so slightly retouched.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

gray-haired women can try gray with a darker gray for contour.

As if having gray hair isn't enough of an albatross. I prefer taupe or greige. But it's as difficult as choosing paint.

6 years ago

Now that's a design dilemma! "Which gray eye shadow should I wear?" ;)

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

That's a hilarious story about leaving without your makeup...and pretty impressive too!

I wear shadows with a bit of shimmer in the day-- but I limit it to nudish colors. Pink browns. I don't know about rules.. and probably wouldn't follow them if I did. I do think the kind of shimmer makes a difference.

ETA: I wear matte finish foundation so that may make a difference. If I wore a dewy foundation, I probably wouldn't want shimmer on the eyes.

I wear these..

chanel emerveille d'ombre (my absolute fav.. but discontinued)

chanel scintillance d'ombre (the lighter of the shadows)

and charlotte tilbury - eyes to mesmerize cream shadow. I forget which color.. there are only 4 named for women with iconic eyes, jean, bette, marie Antoinette and mona lisa. I THINK I wear marie Antoinette.. but i'd probably wear all of them.

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

I don't like shimmery shadow in the crease, but on the lid and a bit below the brow bone are fine. However, most of my eyeshadows are matte.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Funky, I agree about nudish colors, more like an enhanced version of my skin tone. And the best ones are always discontinued. Although eBay has often come to my rescue.

• llitm
    6 years ago

Agree about the palettes but, darn, it's hard to find single shadows. I have Tarte and Estee Lauder shadows, two travel size palettes and one regular size. They all have at least a couple of shimmers which I shied away from but, like you, I didn't want to waste them. I've found that they really don't read "shimmer" as much as I expected they would. I'd prob. never go as shimmery as Jane but I think a tad is o.k. for me.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I don't have wrinkles on my eyelids, yet, or I would not ask the question. As for it building up in the crease, that might happen over a long day but I don't have long days like that anymore (ie, early to the office, then out to dinner or somesuch).

Here is a photo. Looking at this, the highlighting eye shadow is too light for sure, and maybe too white-blue. IDK, overall I think i need more color? Maybe I will try the new ones and post it.

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

Mtn.. you look lovely! Fresh and youthful! I agree the highlighting shadow may be a little too light. You have very bright and pretty eyes, you don't need such light highlights to set them off.

We have *very* similar coloring even right down to the eye color. I am not sure about the NARS colors but the first set would work much better for me than the second. Anything that has the slightest touch of red/plum makes my eyes look like I've been crying for weeks! What I like about the first set is that there's some yellow in the base and I think that works nicely for our coloring. I usually go slightly pinker to set off just a bit from my foundation color-- but I really like the first color in the first set.

Hope they work out for you!

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

Mtn, jeez, you look great. I'd say keep doing whatever you're doing.

I second that!

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

I third it!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked bossyvossy
  • User
    6 years ago

I never wore shadow with the slightest hint of shimmer until sometime last year. It was always matte; now that just doesn't cut it.

Funkyart, I ordered a pot of Charlotte Tilbury's Marie Antoinette. Hoping it's a good fit. I don't typically spend that much on eye shadow.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked User
  • shopping101
    6 years ago

You are beautiful. Keep doing what you're doing!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked shopping101
  • just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

I don't think you really need an eye shadow except to maybe bring a touch of your lip or blush color up there in a muddled flat or slight shimmer shadow form just on the lid crease with a big brush. Instead you could play around with going a tic soft darker with the lid eyeliner and shape it out a bit. A soft version of an already soft version of a Grace Kelly's cat eye. Bring a little more attention to the eye that way. Someone makes a dark aubergine colored eye liner, I forget who but sometimes Martha Stewart wears it. It's a color most can wear if you ever want to get slightly jiggy. Your skin is beautiful so you don't need much as far as highlighters. I would skip those. Love your blush color on you! It's really perfect! A slightly brighter lip color like that but glossy (not sparkly) would be nice.

Naturally vibrant with a different liner definition.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked just_terrilynn
  • eld6161
    6 years ago

The fact that you look lovely, doesn't take away from the fact that I agree with you Mtn. Your eyeshadow looks too light. Maybe it is just in photos and doesn't in real life but I can only give my opinion on what I see.

I think the idea is to be more current. Yes, to experimenting more.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked eld6161
  • Joaniepoanie
    6 years ago

I dont care for shimmer eyeshadow on me for daytime. I don’t wear eyeshadow a lot but when i do i prefer creme matte.....very hard to find!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Joaniepoanie
  • Sueb20
    6 years ago

Hey, I know that lady in the pic! ;-)

Check out Laura Mercier caviar eye stick shadows — I don’t like much shimmer but some of the colors have just a hint of shimmer. I like them. Usually I just do a quick swipe on my lids for everyday and it’s just enough to “wake up” my eyes with a bit of mascara. I originally tried them (a few years ago) when Macys or some similar store had a special holiday deal with several mini sizes in different colors...a good way to try them out. Who knows, maybe someone has a similar offer now.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I just spent a few hours with my 14 yo giving me a makeover. She was fussing that my shadows "had no pigment" and "too much fall out" and "where was my setting spray" (excuse me I used to use mini evian).

I also found some eyeshadows I forgot about. And way too many lipsticks.

Anyway, I am going to put some things on my list for Santa, the Laura Mercier eye stick shadows sound nice (I like that brand). I never was good with cream shadows or cream blushes though, I found them hard to blend. I'll give it a try. And one of the Charlotte Tilburys.

Eld, You know the eye shadow you can really see in that photo was one of my Rite-Aid wonders. I used to say I trusted Chanel to only sell palettes where i can't make any big mistakes. I think this proved that point. Yikes, that's bad.

I am also going to go for a makeover. It's been a while. Does anyone do them using your own stuff? Liek decorators sometimes do. I would go to my salon; they do a lot of makeup work there.

Jterri, IDK, but I think when I have a big smile you barely see my lipcolor. I will post a photo of it.

Funky, it did not allow for much/any deliberation on colors, but I got it done!

6 years ago

Good tools and good products = better results. At least in my experience.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

oh, mtn, I have a DD that age. I am also befuddled by her knowledge of make up terms and skills. Until I got married in my 30s, I swiped on under eye concealer and mascara and called it a day. In the last couple of months, I've been watching a couple of hair and make up blogs in an attempt to defy the aging that seems to have happened all of a sudden (how can I have been the same age for 10 years and then wham! suddenly I'm old?).

One thing I learned was that finding a good bronzer is key. I use a Marc Jacobs bronzer (no orange at all!) and also use it as my everyday eyeshadow as suggested by my favourite blogger.

I think the highlighting shade should have just a hint of shimmer in it. It's hard to tell from the pictures how much shimmer the ones you've posted have.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

I need a makeup tutor, but my 16 yo wears zero makeup so she can’t help!

I have never used bronzer. Do you use it year round?

Now that the temps have dropped, I aged 10 years overnight. I have every eye cream and moisturizer known to (wo)man lined up under my bathroom mirror...looking for the miracle!

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

I think a makeover at a reputable salon is a great suggestion-- especially if they already know you and know your style.

Just a caution-- if you don't like creams or shimmer, I wouldn't start with Charlotte Tilbury. I like it quite a bit -- lots of pigment, easy application.. but if you aren't a delicate hand, it will look like the wet mess on Jane's eyes above.

I do recommend one of the powder mousse formulas like Chanel d'ombre -- Mac and Tom Ford both have similar formulas. I am not happy with the current chanel offerings but Mac always has great colors and I have been eying Tom Ford as a replacement for my Chanel. I think his colors are very similar but with a wider range.

I definitely recommend playing to narrowing in on your colors. You may even want to try some that feel "out there" for you to narrow in on the base colors. When I did this, I learned I couldn't wear anything in the orange and red range-- even when very subtle. When I get makeovers, they reminiscent of the 80s... and when they make it "smoky" my tiny eyes look like a vintage female villain!

I like to window shop on Nordstrom. A number of the lines offer photos of the eye color on different skin tones. That's the step I was missing in the past. I'd pick out pretty colors and ignore my skin tone which is very pigmented with lots of red... I also ignored my eye shape which is not large and beautiful like the models (and like yours!).

I love the colors in this quad from Tom Ford (orchid haze).. but I know from experience that there's too much red/plum in them. My eyes end up looking red and sore.

*I* do better with the golden nude colors as in this TF golden mink I know the shimmer is making you recoil lol! This is just an example-- not a recommendation! (but I just ordered it!)

• Funkyart
    6 years ago

Sue.. I haven't worn bronzer since I was in my 20s. I too want to learn more and give it a try! Watching for responses :)

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Mtn I drew you a nice little soft Grace Kelly cat eye on Microsoft paint but then my computer started acting up so I had to take a picture of the picture. Now it's hard to see. For shadow I just used a muddled take of the cheek shade...except I couldn't finish the other eye. I also filled the brow in a little more.

keep in mind this is a picture of the picture. After you do your darker liner you can soften with another layer on the outer edge.

• daisychain Zn3b
    6 years ago

This is the bronzer I use Marc Jacobs bronzer Some of the reviews say the product broke apart in the compact after awhile, but I've only been using mine for a couple of months so I haven't had the problem. The bloggers I've seen use a lot more than I do. I just use a big fluffy brush and swipe it on where ever I'd naturally get a bit of glow from the sun. This time of year, I go to work in the dark, and leave work in the dark. I look like a mushroom (a shrivelled mushroom to boot now that I'm starting to wrinkle). The bronzer just seems to make me look alive again.

Sorry mtn, hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

• terezosa / terriks
    6 years ago

Daisychain, I've used bronzer and blush as eyeshadow for years. I had no idea that beauty bloggers were recommending it now. I've been using a cheapie matte finish E.L.F. blush/bronzer duo.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

I have always had the same thoughts about shimmer being a no-no for women of a certain age. I’ve changed my views to a degree. I still don’t favor a lot of shimmer, on anyone but the very glam and young really. And I think a small amount of shimmer on even us older women is fine on occasion.

I generally wear matte too, and my go-to is Bobbi, but agree 100% with Mtn that colors are limited. I am often suckered into one of the palettes and find I love one or two of the colors but it isn’t available for sale. And then when those are gone, they’re gone. I do like the Nude Beach and Cool Lilac long wear matte colors. Very pale, and although they aren’t called shimmer, they almost appear to have a bit of shimmer when applied on the lid, and Nude Beach is almost my skin tone. Cement is my go-to day to day. My eyes are brown and hair is brown going to gray. Skin is fair olive.

Mtn, you look smashing! I sort of agree your brow looks a little washed out. But could it have something to do with the flash? Of the 2 NARS shadows, I like the light color of the first and the dark color of the second for you. I agree, a trip to the makeup counter would be fun and might open some new doors.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OutsidePlaying
  • robo (z6a)
    6 years ago

Mtn you look fabulous! As a fellow fair skinned summer (if you care about that kind of thing) I’m thinking gently beiged pinks might look better than blues/silvers for you. Your new palettes go in that direction. I think anything yellowish beige is not going to be your friend but taupes could work as well.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked robo (z6a)
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm only on my phone, but, goodness, I like Jterri's version. I'm heading over there for a makeover! I certainly can't do a cat's eye. It's the artist in Terri; even when she takes pictures of clothes (SA thread), she styles it!

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Can we all go to Terri’s for makeovers??

• Faron79
    6 years ago

;-) I've just given up on doing a "Lion eye"..... ;-)

Faron

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Psssst. I'm 7-1/2 weeks into using Latisse and I had to stop curling my lashes so they don't look crazy.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

You can always knock down some of the shimmer with powder or a matte neutral shadow. I don't mind a little shimmer. I'll often use dark shadows with shimmer for a liner. These are probably palettes I received in gift with purchase etc. I can't remember the last time I actually bought eye shadow.

• Sueb20
    6 years ago

Linelle, please tell us more.

• Bunny
    6 years ago

Maybe I should start a new thread. Don't want to hijack Mtn's shadow discussion.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

All hijacks are welcome, but it does make it easier to find info when we splinter off, too. I'm good either way!

• Bunny
    6 years ago

I started a new thread. I agree with you

• OutsidePlaying
    6 years ago

Linelle, thanks for starting the new thread. I was gonna ask a question about Latisse!

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

I was looking at the make up tutorials on You Tube, and there sure are a lot of products to choose from. Good brushes look like a worthwhile investment overall, while it’s trial and error with the rest. Here’s a nice tutorial for blonds for a natural look.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw6kGdtBg-U

mtnrdredux_gw thanked chickadee2_gw
  • jojoco
    6 years ago

I don't have to remind you all how little I know about makeup, but I did want to comment if only to say how pretty you are, Mtn! It's so nice to see the face behind the name.

Jo

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jojoco
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Aww, thx Jojo!

BTW, Jterri, you have mail. : )

• just_terrilynn
    6 years ago

Got it : )

6 years ago

I don’t do bronzer, mostly because I am what would be called porcelain complected and bronzer makes me look like I’ve gotten dirty. I apply 50+spf religiously, avoid spending time out in the 11-3pm direct sun, and don’t particularly care about the comments that I am blinding people with my pale skin like I did as a child. I am as the universe (and it’s creator) designed me to be and if it’s good enough for the universe that’s good enough for me.

Still love a plum purple smokey eye for evening/night, brings the green in my blue green grey with gold flecked eyes. Lazy day makeup is charcoal liner applied along the underside/waterline in tiny vertical strokes between my upper lashes no mascara (the new version of no makeup makeup), Anastasia Beverly Hills brow whiz or dip brow, and voila.

I haven’t had any chemical treatment on to my hair since mid-July, had it cut to just below my shoulders back in April 2017, grew back pretty fast and I know I will need to get to a salon soon-ish. I wanted to see what color my roots actually are, when I was 16 I imagined dyeing my hair brown, red or black for the rest of my life and didn’t think that would change. My roots are still blonde, I thought by now my hair would finally have darkened up like most blondes do in their 30’s, definitely when close approaching their 40’s but nooooooo, not even up to 10% grey yet either. Getting a filtered shower head has helped the hard water problem with both hair and skin. We simply can’t do the expense of a water softener system right now.