SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19760412

Quotes 12 - 9 - 17 : 1, Milton, Foxx, Kendall, Green, Van Patten

User
6 years ago

John Milton Quotes
English - Poet December 9, 1608 - November 8, 1674

He who reigns within himself and rules passions, desires, and fears is more than a king.
John Milton

Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world.
John Milton

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.
John Milton

To be blind is not miserable; not to be able to bear blindness, that is miserable.
John Milton

When complaints are freely heard, deeply considered and speedily reformed, then is the utmost bound of civil liberty attained that wise men look for.
John Milton

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.
John Milton

A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit.
John Milton

Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.
John Milton

The superior man acquaints himself with many sayings of antiquity and many deeds of the past, in order to strengthen his character thereby.
John Milton

Let not England forget her precedence of teaching nations how to live.
John Milton

Nothing profits more than self-esteem, grounded on what is just and right.
John Milton

He that studieth revenge keepeth his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well.
John Milton

No man who knows aught, can be so stupid to deny that all men naturally were born free.
John Milton

Deep-versed in books and shallow in himself.
John Milton

They also serve who only stand and wait.
John Milton

Truth never comes into the world but like a bastard, to the ignominy of him that brought her birth.
John Milton

None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love not freedom, but licence.
John Milton

Who kills a man kills a reasonable creature, God's image, but thee who destroys a good book, kills reason its self.
John Milton

The stars, that nature hung in heaven, and filled their lamps with everlasting oil, give due light to the misled and lonely traveller.
John Milton

Death is the golden key that opens the palace of eternity.
John Milton

He that has light within his own clear breast May sit in the centre, and enjoy bright day: But he that hides a dark soul and foul thoughts Benighted walks under the mid-day sun; Himself his own dungeon.
John Milton

Beauty is nature's brag, and must be shown in courts, at feasts, and high solemnities, where most may wonder at the workmanship.
John Milton

Though we take from a covetous man all his treasure, he has yet one jewel left; you cannot bereave him of his covetousness.
John Milton

Virtue could see to do what Virtue would by her own radiant light, though sun and moon where in the flat sea sunk.
John Milton

Love-quarrels oft in pleasing concord end.
John Milton

Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe.
John Milton

Confusion heard his voice, and wild uproar Stood ruled, stood vast infinitude confined; Till at his second bidding darkness fled, Light shone, and order from disorder sprung.
John Milton

For what can war, but endless war, still breed?
John Milton

True it is that covetousness is rich, modesty starves.
John Milton

Redd Foxx Quotes
American - Actor December 9, 1922 - October 11, 1991

Beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes clear to the bone.
Redd Foxx

Certain things should be yours to have when you work your way to the top.
Redd Foxx

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
Redd Foxx

This is the big one! You hear that, Elizabeth? I'm coming to join ya, honey!
Redd Foxx

I'm convinced that Sanford and Son shows middle-class America a lot of what they need to know.
Redd Foxx

The show doesn't drive home a lesson, but it can open up people's minds enough for them to see how stupid every kind of prejudice can be.
Redd Foxx

Henry W. Kendall Quotes
American - Scientist December 9, 1926 - February 15, 1999

If we do not voluntarily bring population growth under control in the next one or two decades, the nature will do it for us in the most brutal way, whether we like it or not.
Henry W. Kendall

The destruction of our environment and resources cannot be stemmed unless the growth of the world's population is stemmed and ultimately reduced.
Henry W. Kendall

We must act swiftly in order to halt the rate of decay our planet faces.
Henry W. Kendall

Many people and governments share the mistaken belief that science, with new, ingenious devices and techniques, can rescue us from the troubles we face without our having to mend our ways and change our patterns of activity. This is not so.
Henry W. Kendall

We must... guarantee women control over their own reproductive decisions.
Henry W. Kendall

Education of both men and women is a wonderful contraceptive.
Henry W. Kendall

Governments must now take a leading role in moving their nations in the right direction.
Henry W. Kendall

Benny Green Quotes
British - Musician December 9, 1927 - June 22, 1998

We have different personalities, but in a harmonious way, I'd say. Anyway, we were booked to play at the festival as a duo; and we decided we wouldn't have any rehearsal.
Benny Green

The magic can happen in a studio. Special things can happen in a recording studio, even though it may seem like a clinical environment from the outside looking in.
Benny Green

I think there's a natural chemistry between us as friends; and there's really no separation between the rapport that we feel when we're in conversation and when we're playing music, it's one in the same.
Benny Green

The first time we performed as a duo, we had already been playing together in various situations.
Benny Green

Just to be around that, to feel a part of it and be able to integrate the experience while I was with the Messengers, of going and playing gigs with other drummers, gave me the chance to realize that it was not just me that was making it happen.
Benny Green

He would catapult you forward, and that was his intention with the Jazz Messengers. He would take young people with a potential and help them develop a voice as a player and as a writer.
Benny Green

A jazz musician is a juggler who uses harmonies instead of oranges.
Benny Green

The first jazz pianist I heard was Thelonious Monk. My father was listening to an album of his called 'Monk's Dream' almost every day from the time I was born.
Benny Green

Art was carrying me a lot of the time. When you're accustomed to playing with Art, and you play with other drummers, it's as if the bottom dropped out.
Benny Green

No, that's not it. The first time we met was at Fat Tuesday's. Benny was playing, this was, I think in 1989?
Benny Green

We have fun, we listen to one another, we challenge one another, we trust one another. We're doing what we enjoy, and we're not just playing for each other, we're playing for the people.
Benny Green

You know, there're no rules between Russell and I. We don't want to have to have to talk too much, because it's really precious, really special to play music.
Benny Green

I'm glad you asked that question, because of any musical situation I've been in, the communication feels great here with Russell. He really pays close attention to what I'm doing because he cares.
Benny Green

Like Russell, I enjoy the fact that when I'm playing solo, if I want to do something completely spontaneous, I don't have to worry about how I'm going to cue the other musicians, or if it's something that's rehearsed.
Benny Green

I'm naturally going to react to that and he'll bring out elements in my musical character that were lying dormant, because I'm relating what he's playing.
Benny Green

I have similar feelings, actually. The intimacy of a club: you can see the people, you can almost feel them; you can't beat that. People will say things, and shout out, it's almost like they're up on the bandstand with you.
Benny Green

Actually, I've had very little classical training, although I love listening to classical music very much.
Benny Green

Prior to that, I had associated this music with older people, like my father.
Benny Green

I didn't know when I was growing up that this was a very special program, that this wasn't going on in other parts of the country. Now I realize that I was lucky.
Benny Green

Any time I need to get a serious attitude adjustment, I put on one of their records, and there are examples there for all time to keep us honest and keep us reaching; they'll never be eclipsed.
Benny Green

Ray had so much love of life and the music. He had so much integrity. He treated the music with so much dignity and respect. I spent four and a half years as a sideman with Ray Brown's trio. Music was his life, more so than anyone I could mention.
Benny Green

Just to have that sense of family, it gives you something that you know you need to take care of for the rest of your life. People gave it to him, and he passed it on to us.
Benny Green

I don't really have a lot of hobbies. I listen to a lot of spoken word. I get books on tape.
Benny Green

Dick Van Patten Quotes
American - Actor December 9, 1928 - June 23, 2015

I look back with a mix of emotions: sadness for the people who are gone, nostalgia for times that have passed, but immense gratitude for the wonderful opportunities that came my way.
Dick Van Patten

I've seen people that don't treat their animals well and yet their animals are still just as loving to them even though they're not treated that well. It's very hard to find that kind of loyalty and love and affection in human beings.
Dick Van Patten

The only honest reaction and true loyalty that we get is from our animals.
Dick Van Patten

I've titled this book 'Eighty Is Not Enough' not just for the obvious play on words, but as a way of expressing the single idea that has governed my entire life, that every moment of life is precious, that every step we take is an adventure, that every day on earth is a gift from God.
Dick Van Patten

The only honest reaction and true loyalty we get is from our animals. Once they're your friends, you can do no wrong.
Dick Van Patten

I'm always working on our home, but I want to keep the old look to it.
Dick Van Patten

If I was good each week, my father would take me to a different pet store each Saturday. I had a snake, horny toads, turtles, lizards, rabbits, guinea pigs... I kept my alligator in the bathtub until it got too big.
Dick Van Patten

To be hungry must be awful.
Dick Van Patten

People don't like to feed live mice and rats to their snakes. Now we have a regular meat food that they will eat. Ninety percent of the snakes will eat this food and love it.
Dick Van Patten

We're feeding all these zoos. And that's getting bigger and bigger.
Dick Van Patten

I love cats.
Dick Van Patten

We wanted a pet food based on sound scientific principles and truth, not marketing hype.
Dick Van Patten

I got what they called a diabetic stroke. Here's what it is, my left hand and my left leg. You know when your leg falls asleep? It's like that constantly. It's not painful, but it's so annoying. My leg is all tingly and my arm is all tingly.
Dick Van Patten

I was in 27 Broadway plays, and three of them got the Pulitzer Prize.
Dick Van Patten

It was just an accident; I was never going to come out here.
Dick Van Patten

I like to do TV series. I think they're so comfortable. You're doing the same part every week.
Dick Van Patten

I remember how my mom would take me on the subway from Queens to Broadway. We'd go to the offices of casting agents. Many doors were slammed in our faces. I was just a boy, but I remember that well.
Dick Van Patten

From the time I was 8 years old I was on almost every radio show there was.
Dick Van Patten

I appreciate Eight is Enough. It made me recognizable.
Dick Van Patten

I come from New York originally, but Californians have been wonderful about animals. These animals are so nice and so good and so sweet and intelligent. It's a crime not to help them.
Dick Van Patten

I was a child actor in radio, and there's not many of us left.
Dick Van Patten

I've probably had more jobs than any other actor living.
Dick Van Patten

We donate a lot of food to rescue organizations.
Dick Van Patten

We waited until we perfected the dog food, and then we worked on the cat food. Even though it's not going through the roof the way the dog food is, I think it will catch on eventually.
Dick Van Patten

You have a laugh line; don't accentuate it. You get a bigger laugh.
Dick Van Patten

You're working with the same people, and there's a lot of recognition. I like to do series best. I really do.
Dick Van Patten

I wasn't worried about unemployment.
Dick Van Patten

My mother was aggressive - the typical stage mother.
Dick Van Patten

Tom Bradford is a lot like the real me. He's a man who always put his career second to his family. As long as everything was OK at home, he was OK, too.
Dick Van Patten

The family's first, and the career is second. I could get fired from a show. As long as everything's okay with my family, it really would not bother me.
Dick Van Patten

I never thought radio would fizzle out.
Dick Van Patten

I used to go from one job to another. I started at seven years old in theater and used to go from one job to another.
Dick Van Patten

My four friends were John Kerr, who became a star, Paul Newman, Jimmy Dean, and Jack Lemmon.
Dick Van Patten

We're very lucky people, doing something that we really love to do. I feel privileged to have been an actor all my life.
Dick Van Patten

I was in 27 Broadway plays in a row as a kid, and in between, I learned how to play the horses from the stagehands.
Dick Van Patten

I've been to more racetracks than any other person I've met. Almost every track, missing only a few of the newer ones.
Dick Van Patten

It used to be said all horse players die broke - you can't beat the races. But today, with the Pick 6's and Superfectas, you can. Not that the odds aren't against you, but a good hit, and it's hard to blow that back.
Dick Van Patten

I've hit the Pick 6 for a hundred thousand a couple of times. A few more for 60, 70 thousand.
Dick Van Patten

I may eat nine bowls of dog food, because eight isn't enough.
Dick Van Patten

For nearly eight decades, I've had the great fortune of playing thousands of roles before millions of people.
Dick Van Patten

I've had a great life. It was exciting. I worked with the most interesting people, and I traveled all over the country.
Dick Van Patten

Comment

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions