SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mc_hudd

Purina One dog food

mc_hudd
15 years ago

What is your opinion of Purina One dog food? I have a St. Bernard, a lab mix, and a beagle/cocker mix that I had been feeding Pedigree dog food to (I know no one likes Pedigree, it's full of fillers, I've read all of this before). Recently (within the last month) my beagle mix started vomiting right after he would eat, it was just undigested food. So I started investigating & found on the internet that in small dogs sometimes when they're on a dry diet they will vomit after eating b/c there's not enough liquid in their stomach to digest the food so they vomit it back up instead. Also it said that sometimes the food they were eating (like pedigree) could cause digestive issues & a food w/ meat as the first ingredient was better. I assumed the liquid in the stomach thing b/c my dog would sometimes eat what he had thrown up before I could clean it up & he'd never throw that back up, but I thought I'd give a diet change a try too.

Anyway, I decided to try out Purina One since Walmart is the only place I have to buy dog food in my area & that's the only one w/ meat as the first ingredient other than Iams & I won't buy Iams.

*I do have an Orscheln's too, but all they have w/ meat as the first ingredient is Science Diet & it's $56.99 for a 36 lb. bag! Don't look down on me, I do love my dogs, but buying that food just isn't in my means.

Anyway, I've been converting my dogs over to this food for the last couple weeks & my beagle hasn't vomited once since changing the food. So, I'm thinking maybe this has helped. (I did call my vet too & told her what I had read & she said to give that a try, but call her back if he cont'd to vomit... I never had to call her back.)

So, what are your opinions on this food? Is it acceptable since I really have no other choice? I do give them canned food once in a while as a treat, but not sure that helps anything.

Also, the lab mix I have is about 8 yrs. old w/ a recently amputated leg. My vet said to feed her a "senior" dog food since it has glucosomene (sp?) in it for her joints. I've been feeding her away from my other dogs, & I'm currently switching them to P. One Healthy Weight, but would Purina One Senior 7+ hurt my other 2 dogs (St. B. is 4 yrs. old & beagle is 16 months)? Wouldn't it be good for them to get the extra vitamins & minerals too, especially the St. B.?

Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Shannon

Comments (28)