SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcy59

My dated colonial 2nd floor needs help!

Marcy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm trying to figure out a good plan for renovations to our 2nd floor colonial home. I would like to include the following features:

1. Add laundry room (decent size, preferably with a window)

2. Add full bath (right now 1 bath for 4 rooms)

3. An updated and appropriately sized master bath

4. An updated master closet

5. Without losing a bedroom

6. Without losing much overall closet space

I'm okay with expanding over the garage. I haven't been able to settle on a plan that I love and also incorporate all 5 elements.

I'm told the over garage expansion can be expensive but I at least want to come up with something I like and then have the option to put it out for bids. I would love any advice on how I might be able to accomplish this.

My latest thought:

-Lose bedroom #5 - use space divided for: an en suite bath to bedroom #4, laundry room, and added soft to master bath

-extend hallway a little into existing M. bedroom allowing for entry into a new bedroom #5 (where the master bedroom is now), and entry into the master suite.

- keeping masterbath and closet in its location but reconfigured to make master bath larger (taking from old bedroom #5), and using the space in front of closets

- build new master bedroom over garage, but not sure if this will be too big of a room in proportion to the house size.

Note: the empty box on the right side of the diagram is the garage. And there is a porch along the front of the house next to where it looks like the garage is sticking out.

Please help! I only have 5 or 6 months to get this projected completed.

Comments (10)