SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckberta

Kitchen designer did not allow for air flow on sides of refrigerator!

Becky B
6 years ago

My new kitchen has a freestanding refrigerator with a panel on each side. There is approximately 1/16" to 1/8" of space between each panel and the refrigerator on each side. Literally, there it was just enough space to fit the refrigerator in between the two panels. There has been no space allowed for a airflow on the sides of the refrigerator.

My kitchen designer has agreed to move the panels and cabinets over so that I can have some airflow on the sides. I have two questions concerning this issue:

1. How much space is actually required on each side of the refrigerator, to allow for air flow?

NOTE:

A. The Samsung installation specs states, "Allow a 3/8" minimum clearance at sides and top for ease of installation." It does not mention ANYTHING about air flow on the SIDES of the refrigerator.

B. The User Manual that comes with the refrigerator states, "Select a location that allows sufficient space to the right, left, back, and top for air circulation." No specific dimensions are mentioned AT ALL!

C. I have both written to and called Samsung to get an answer from them. Each time they have said unequivocally that a minimum of 2 to 3 inches are needed on each side of the refrigerator. This seemed excessive to me, but I don't really know, so I'm asking if anyone can answer this question about the airflow.

2. My refrigerator is 36 inches wide, and the kitchen designer put a 36 inch wide cabinet above it. If I enlarge the space to allow proper airflow on the sides of the refrigerator, the size of the cabinet above it will not be wide enough to fit the space appropriately. My question is, who is responsible for replacing the cabinet above the refrigerator, now that it will need to be larger. Or, is it fair for me to accept KD's offer of putting fillers in? I am concerned that these fillers will make my beautiful new (expensive) kitchen look like it has a big mistake in it.

3. Back to Question #1 now. If 2 to 3 inches are actually necessary on each side of the refrigerator, can anything be used to cover up the gap, that will not hinder airflow, and will look attractive?

Comments (33)