SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazyjz1

Latest results from new potting medium recipe.

Jeff Zenner
6 years ago

I really enjoy success but with it often comes a proportionate number of failures. I have been working on a new recipe for my potting medium. My last recipe still contains too much vermiculite. (I had backed it down from 1/3 to 1/5 of the total ingredient.) After a two week test period, the mix is wet. Too wet. With only a two strand acrylic yarn, the plant medium was still waay too wet.

I have a willing set of 5 Optimara plants for this experiment since they are the most likely to survive the testing process. After I dry them out a bit, I am going to go to a 0% vermiculite recipe and see what happens. Moisture does not really cling to perlite or horticultural charcoal which are the only other ingredients other than peat in my mix. I am not sure if the wick will be up to keeping such a granular, dry, lumpy mixture, damp.

Upon my return, if still not performing correctly, I am going to try a single strand of acrylic yarn as a wick and reintroduce a small amount of vermiculite. It all works, but somewhere out there is some combination that really works!

Comments (19)