SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skuba

Repairing cupped hardwood floor

skuba
6 years ago

Hi all,

We converted half the garage into living space a little over a year ago (everything by code, architect, structural engineer, licensed contractor etc..). After last winter I started seeing the wood floor boards cup in the hallway, which as we know points to high moisture content.

Because the GC and I had some areas of contention during the original project, I first hired a construction inspector company to assess the problem and root cause. It was identified the water was coming in through a gap between the back patio door frame and the wall. And there were potentially other failure points. The GC came in after and fixed the gap and added extra material on the outside to make it water tight.

Now it's time to repair the hardwood and GC and original installer are coming tomorrow to discuss. GC once mentioned they would just sand down and refinish the floor.

Is it unreasonable for me to think they should replace all the affect boards? If they were to sand it, wouldn't it be quite a bit of sanding considering the curve of the cup (seems to be about 1/8th to 3/16ths), which would then reduce the lifetime of the hardwood? FYI, the hardwood has already been refinished right after being installed, because the GC/Floor installer didn't use the correct finish to match the rest of the house. So they have already been refinished once.

Considering that most of the wood boards in the hallways area are affected, should I actually ask them to replace all of them, so they are uniform and will all have the same lifetime? And wouldn't it be smart to pull out all the affected boards anyway to see if there is damage to subfloor and take moisture readings?

What else should I know to make sure they fix this the right way, and once for all?

Please see attached pictures of the space. Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you so much

Affected area in red

Comments (18)