SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin_wang80

Ungrounded outlet tripping help!

Kevin Wang
6 years ago

Hello, we been living in our house for 2 years. From the house inspection, some outlets are ungrounded. We been using electronics with surge protectors. In our garage, we have water, washer/dryer, furnace all using outlets on the same side of the wall.

This is the outlet connecting the wash/dryer

This is another one one the same side with furnace and water heater connected

to it. This is also the one that tripped. I was using a TP link smart plug with extension for Christmas light on top and a surge protector on the bottom connecting furnace and water heater. This morning, I noticed my heater was off and had to press the red reset on the wash's outlet. However, I can no longer use my smart plug with water heater/furnace on the same outlet, it will trip.

I tested by connect the furnace and water both plugged in the surge protector and as soon as I plug in the smart plug with Christmas light it tripped again. So I don't if I overloaded the outlet or anything to do with outlets being ungrounded.

I don't know if I need to replace the receptacle?? I just want to use my Christmas light with the smart plug without unplugging the furnace and the water heater.

The last picture is area next to my garage door. The light switch is for exterior light that is near the lawn area which we rarely use. There is a covered outlet box under it. Is buying a new receptacle and install it there work for me? Thank you. very much. I don't know much and most of these things were done from previous owner.

Comments (3)