SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alex_romano74

Rangetop Dilemma - induction, grill, griddle, open/sealed burners

Alex Romano
6 years ago

I think I've read every review, discussion, forum, and blog available on this issue. I may or may not have finished the internet. However, I find myself just more hopelessly confused than when I started. I am building what will likely be my forever kitchen. I've kind of settled on a 48 inch rangetop, but I could also be convinced to go back to an induction/gas cooktop combo. (see above re: being hopelessly confused).

My specific concerns with the rangetop are.

1. How important is a decent grill? I wouldn't be doing steaks/burgers on it year round, but I'd like to be able to grill veggies, seafood, and bread to accompany dinner. Would an iron grill plate over the regular burners work just fine, or is it apples and oranges.

2. Is a 12 inch griddle big enough for most normal use, or is it better to opt for a 24 inch griddle? I have it in my head that I'd use the griddle for a bunch of stuff (meats, fish, veggies, breakfast, etc.) in lieu of using a pan. Is this accurate, or will a pan simply be easier to deal with (with the sides and ability to flip the food, etc.)?

3. Are the open burner (Bluestar and Capital Culinarian) really that hard to clean? Are they easier to clean than a sealed burner? Generally, my big criticism of sealed burners with gas is that all the heat goes to the edges and up the side of the pan. If I move the pan to a smaller burner, then I can't get the heat that I'm looking for. I love the functionality of an open burner, but I also don't want to have a big expensive rangetop that I never want to cook on because it's a bear to keep clean.

4. With regard to rangetops, my contenders are bluestar, capital culinarian, wolf, and jenn air. Any advice (given the above) on this?

In addition to rangetop options, I am still (although leaning away from it), considering doing a gas and induction combo in the kitchen. Probably a 30 inch bluestar drop in cooktop (any reviews/advice on these), coupled with a 24 inch induction unit. I've switched quite a bit between whether to have the bigger induction or bigger gas, but ultimately wasn't able to find anything decent for a gas cooktop in the sub 30 inch range. My concern with this set up is that it doesn't get me the grill or griddle that I was hoping to have. Again, I can just use a grill plate or griddle plate on the induction top or on the gas top, but I'm not sure if the built in units are that much better? Are they? Can anyone help me here?

On the induction issue, I've read that a lot of people have fallen in love with their induction cooktops, but I'm one of those cooks that likes to flip the pan, slide it around, make a mess, etc. The idea of just having a flat, boring?, glasstop induction cooktop feels more like heating food up to me than really cooking. Am I just being delusional here again? Would an induction cooktop do everything I'm looking for and more? If anyone has experience with both induction cooktops and pro-style rangetops, I'd love to hear it.

I'm at the point where I need to tell my kitchen people specifics on sizes and appliances so they can order cabinets, which is why I've finally bucked and just put this all into a post begging for your help.

Thank you all,

Alex

Comments (12)