SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

Help me keep these bathrooms from looking dated too soon!

Stacey Collins
6 years ago

Hi all, it has been almost 8 years since I've frequented these wonderful GardenWeb discussions, and am hoping for some up-to-date advice! We have purchased a single-family home that we're renovating to be a rental in a relatively affluent Maine suburb. It's a 1930's Sears kit house, Cape Cod style, and i'd like to make our renovations classy and timeless. 8 years ago, when we were renovating last, that would have meant white cabinetry, subway tiles, and marble... how have things changed?

(It's going to be hard, too, for me to restrain myself from doing things that are too wonderful but maybe no universally liked, like the printed Moroccan-style tiles available now! But I'd imagine you all will tell me to go with timeless for a more universal appeal...)

I expect that regular subways have become just way too ubiquitous. Is marble, and marble-look porcelain or ceramic, still going to have a long life, do you think?

I have a small full bath downstairs to re-do (with a tub, standard 5 x 7 layout) that I already got a vanity for from Craigslist, the Potter Barn white with marble top

I also am adding another full bath upstairs, with a walk-in shower about 3 x4. I'll tile the walls and use a pre-formed shower pan and frameless glass doors/walls.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on what will be out-of-date soon, and what is most universally appealing and classy. Thanks!

Stacey

Comments (4)