SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
4kids4us

Too good to be true? Amazon product issue...

4kids4us
6 years ago

About two months ago, my daughter, a college freshman away at school, asked me to order her a hair straightener. For some reason, she did not like the high quality one that I had bought before she left for school when the old one we shared stopped working. So she looked on Amazon, found one she liked and I ordered it, having it sent directly to her at school. I wasn't necessarily expecting much though it did get high reviews.

She brought it home with her over Thanksgiving break. She has to fly back/forth, so she had it packed carefully in between her clothes in her carry on bag. She did not check the bag, did not drop it, etc. However, after she got home and went to use it a couple of days later, both shafts were completely broken down near the joint. While it would still heat up, b/c of where the shafts were broken, we could not even duct tape them back together. It wasn't expensive so I told her I'd order her a new (different) one when she got back to school.

Yesterday I decided to leave feedback for the product. In my head, I was thinking, these kind of things must frequently get dropped (I know I drop my hair dryer, brush, etc every so often when styling my hair), so I would think that the shafts would be sturdier. Dd said she had only used the straightener maybe 8 times and did not recall ever dropping it. I was going to see if I could send it back for replacement/refund, but wouldn't you know, dh threw it out on Monday. So I left a 2 star review, indicating that my daughter was very pleased with the performance but disappointed that after only using it about 8 times in two months, it had completely broken.

To my surprise, apparently this seller reads its reviews b/c I had an email this morning from their customer service rep stating she would be happy to assist me getting compensated. So I responded to her this morning. While I'm not expecting much, I was surprised that even though I had not communicated directly with the seller or Amazon, someone obviously was reading the product reviews. I'll see if there is actually any follow through and will happily update my review if they do in fact either replace it or refund me. Good customer service deserves to get recognized these days!

Comments (11)