SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

What's for Dinner #353

Winter's Holiday Lasagna

aka Thanksgiving leftovers Lasagna. My pantry and crisper drawer are still over-stuffed with veg and root veggies. All fresh,... not stuffing, turkey, gravy, roasted veg, mashed potato...though that would have made a nice layered casserole type lasagna.

Layers of sweet potato, purple potato, golden beet...cauliflower, carrot and red pepper rice,..kale, collards, escarole, prosciutto,...parm, mozzarella, goat cheese. Roasted garden tomato sauce. Last of the fresh garden tomatoes.

Comments (102)

• User
    6 years ago

I did lobster tails tonight, two ways.

First poached in garlic butter and served with the butter, over mashed potatoes

and the second way the lobster was basted with garlic butter and broiled in the CSO.

• neely
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well I do like your humour dcarch.... cook their own indeed... looks like a yummy hot pot.

So which way did you enjoy the most AnnT?

Turkey again for us but with a Greek salad.

I was able to enjoy the turkey flavour more this way rather than a full on roast dinner... seemed fresher somehow.

• Related Discussions

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #398 Nov 2021

Q

Comments (100)
    Mmm cheese sauce and gnocchi sounds good to me Walnut creek. Jasdip, your salad and drumstick followed by your caponata look delicious. I did look up the difference between caponata and ratatouille and it seems caponata has the addtion of olives perhaps capers... did you add these to yours? We had a few cool days and while I‘m not in a real cooking frame of mind at the moment... I did cook up Fish and six veg. I had some red sauce left over from the pizza so I made a sort of patatas brava with potatoes and sweet potatoes
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner?

Q

Comments (55)
    Dinner last night was a first -- I made a pot of chicken soup when it was 100 degrees or more outside (we've stopped watching). Special request of son upstairs with covid. I figure today to tomorrow will be d-day for me, so waiting to see. Tonight will be either leftovers of the soup or verde chicken enchiladas and spanish rice made the night before or whatever DH makes. Could be BLT's -- not really into cooking today.
    ...See More

What’s for dinner #411 Late Spring 2024

Q

Comments (0)
    Sunday roast chicken with tarragon stuffing that’s trying to escape the bird. You can tell DH prepared the vegetables because the carrots are in rounds which I never do. He made the gravy as well.
    ...See More
  • neely
    6 years ago

For dinner tonight I raided the garden for Silverbeet/Swiss Chard and made a Spanakopita Pizza with feta.

I made two balls of the pizza dough and for the first time I put the other ball in the freezer after the first rise. Hope it works out OK

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Miss my oyster shucking lobster parties NewYears. When we lived in the city around the corner from a city supplier, they opened their door to neighbors for a hour on Saturdays...3 for 10$. (so NYC under the table)

Looks yummy. Feta and chard such a good combination.

A few last week treats. Breakfast frittata. Goat cheese, ham and greens. NewYears Cod Provencal. (shrimp scallop app)...tomato soup w/pile of baby grilled cheese. Missed a ton of photo ops. (too busy)

• User
    6 years ago

Baked focaccia this morning.

Dough was made on Monday and went into the fridge for a cold fermentation. 80% hydration.

Baked in the Steam oven on the bread setting.

Automatically steams the bread at the beginning of the bake. No more having to spray or toss water or ice cubes into the oven.

Topped with olive oil, tomatoes, Kalamata olives and dried basil.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks good. Just took a focaccia square out of the freezer for soup croutons.

We have been back to mixed seafood. Shrimp, scallop, salmon over mixed grain, mandolin sweet potato, baby potato, provencal...onion, red pepper, olives, dried Banyuls plumped cranberries, tomato.

• User
    6 years ago

Sleevendog, beautiful photos.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Ann. Just an old Lumix. No flash. For some reason it loads zip and easy now. Mom and MIL like getting food pics.

Last night was storm prep. And up 3am prepping for imminent power outage. Roasted garbanzos and baking bread now. Generator and transfer switch all ready to go if needed. (just lose oven use if power loss),

Heated up turkey soup and focaccia toasts. Carbon monoxide and smoke detectors test, check, charge both batteries for heated vest, check, : ) (love that vest)

• annie1992
    6 years ago

A heated vest? Now that's a new one on me, here it's 12 below zero, a heated vest would be a very good thing! Are those pepitas in the roasted garbanzos? I keep saying I need to try roasting garbanzos, but I still haven't done it and I have pepitas in the freezer.

dcarch, how many people had to cook with those two pots? (grin) All the nice fresh stuff looks good, even if I had to cook it myself.

Everything looks delicious, from Neely's turkey to AnnT's lobster. sleevendog's potatoes look almost like chips and the seafood is amazing and everyone seems to be doing pizza/flatbread, it must be the weather.

Here I made some more pasta for Elery's birthday a few days ago, he loves pasta, served with some freshly made bread:

He's not a big cake fan, so for dessert I made him one of his favorites, Southern blackberry cobbler:

Before that, Elery made beans in his new Instant Pot with some of the leftover ham from our New Year's Eve/Christmas dinner:

While I made hot turkey sandwiches with homemade bread and leftover turkey and gravy from that same New Year's Eve/Christmas meal. I also made a chopped salad with kale, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, brussels sprouts, dried cranberries, pepitas and a poppyseed dressing. I'm not a fan of lettuce, so my salad has to have a lot of "stuff".

We also had some leftover rhubarb pie from that holiday meal:

And, because the weather here has been so bad, Elery has been curing and smoking jowl bacon. We had the uncured meat frozen since we bought that pig from a friend, and because Elery cured and smoked the ham for Christmas it seemed like a good time to do the jowl bacon too:

Tomorrow I'm taking Makayla to the mall, she wanted a shopping trip for her Christmas gift. I haven't been out of the house other than to do chores since Christmas Eve, it's just been too cold, so I suppose it's time, but it'll be anyone's guess what's for dinner!

Annie

• User
    6 years ago

Sleevendog, My last camera was a Lumix too. I'm not even sure where it is. I've been using my Samsung phone camera for the last 3 1/2 years. I want to get a new phone, but I love the camera in this one so I keep putting it off.

Baked a ciabatta last night and made a

pot of bean and ham soup this morning in the Breville PC. Moe had some of both for breakfast.

Tonight's dinner

Wiener Schnitzel made with pork tenderloin. Potatoes roasted in the CSO and steamed green beans and butternut squash.

• neely
    6 years ago

AnnT I am interested that you mentioned you take photos with your Samsung phone.... it appears that it has a focus range feature whereby in the photo of your soup, the bread and flowers in the background appear blurred. Just interested as I don't think my IPhone will do this.

Anyway lots of good cooking by everyone. Your rhubarb pie is calling me Annie, while sleevendog' s food is looking yummy.

We had bowls of chard pesto over 'bow ties' for a late lunch.

Another night was the following char Sui pork with snow peas over rice.

The pork looks raw but I assure you it's cooked, just the pink from the red food colouring making it look that way.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Brothy soups and jowl bacon. Yum. I have some pie dough waiting for something fruity. Maybe tonight.

I had to look up Wiener Schnitzel, lol. DH would love that.

Still have power,...knock on forehead.

Storm chili, 'life changing' buckwheat cornbread, (my recipe), Queso Blanco recipe HERE and buckwheat shoots. (not planned...just what is ready to harvest)

Original Author
    6 years ago

We were posting simultaneously Neely. Your pics are gorgeous. But you can get a DOP, depth of field, app for iPhone or android. Not sure what app offered is the best.

• User
    6 years ago

Neely yes it is one of the settings on the camera.

• User
    6 years ago

Baked four small baguettes in the steam oven last night. Two at a time. The dough was from one of Monday's batches at 72%.

I had some pork tenderloin left that I saved for this morning. Breaded and fried and made Moe a Schnitzel sandwich on one of the baguettes. Topped with mustard, dill pickle and red onion.

• shirl36
    6 years ago

I have spent lots of time in the kitchen this week doing one thing or another. I make all our breads for the last 20 yrs. Doing a fair amount of Ken Forkish Autolyse Flour Water Salt Yeast style. Always looking for that Holey Bread look, never achieving tho, yet always good. This morning when I sliced yesterday’s bake I was so surprised to find the results I have been looking for. All four loaves were like this. My Bill thinks it is so funny I want Holey Bread.

This batch was a 48hr slow frig rise, could that be the reason for the holes.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Looks good shirl. We just pulled the second boule out of the oven and making Grilled cheese and heating up tomato/chili soup for an easy one. (big cold lazy day)

Made a comfort pasta salad yesterday and finally a blueberry pie from our massively productive blueberry bushes that I froze.

*chunks of dark chocolate tucked all around the crust edge DH loves. He made the crust and I used my failed crust as a crumble topping. (I used all whole wheat by mistake having not made crust before much, lol, it was a dense rock of a crust first used on a pot pie type thing.) oops. Made it for holidays pies a good thing it was tested. Hate to waste all that butter so I froze it for crumbles.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Todays boule was sweet. A bit of whole wheat gives a nutty moist small/tight crumb best for next day toast, grilled cheese, sandwiches. Freezes better than most with a tight crumb. Later croutons.

Chili tomato soup....grilled mozzarella, pesto, kumato slices, arugula,

• User
    6 years ago

Nice holey bread Shirl.

I worked the last four days and have the next three off.

Made pasta for breakfast on Saturday. My favourite sauce. Moe had it for breakfast and I took some for lunch.

Moe wasn't that hungry for dinner so I made him a little cheese board with my homemade baguette. With a glass of wine. He was happy.

Yesterday morning I put a pot of beef curry with green beans on to cook in the Breville PC. It was suppose to be dinner. But it got postponed until breakfast this morning.

Instead I made one of Moe's favourites. Escargot. Served with mushroom caps and more baguette for sopping up all the butter garlic sauce.

Curry just had to be warmed up. And the Basmati rice I warmed up in the steam oven. Just had to make and bake the chapati and breakfast was ready.

• neely
    6 years ago

Thanks Sleevendog and AnneT for the info about the IPhone depth of field.

Lots of great bread and meals. I used to like escargot but one day I went off them.

One dinner we had Clams cooked as I call 'mariniere'. A little butter, shallot, thyme, parsley and white wine.

• User
    6 years ago

Neely, I keep promising Moe clams. Love them cooked this way. I hope you had lots of bread to sop up all the wonderful sauce.

Funny, that you liked escargot and now you don't. I was the opposite with clams. Moe has always loved clams and I never liked them. But about 20 years ago we were on vacation in the Oregon wine county and Moe had clams for dinner one night. And I tasted them, and I have loved them ever since. Renee, a favourite past member, introduced me to the 7 year rule. And I've found other foods that I didn't care for and now I do. Still hate carrots.

Last night's dinner. Top Sirloin roast. Love this cut. So much flavour and as long as it is cooked rare or medium rare it is very tender.

Enough left for Beef Dip sandwiches for a late breakfast today. Homemade bread. And roasted potatoes done in the CSO.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Love following this thread-so much good looking food!

Ann T. Your top sirloin looks so good! How did you cook it?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Nothing from the sea I don't like. If fresh. Our 'winkles' roll up on the shore, tiny snails and tossed in butter, lots of fresh herbs, in a cast iron skillet, pulled out by a map pin at the table. Must be fresh like uni. Only fresh from the sea.

We can get good clams but I'm so picky it is once/twice a year.

Weather, deep cold, is lifting, but so many suppliers have had a hard time in delivery. Pretty crap veg has suffered on the docks and frozen. Fortunately I have much garden harvest in the freezer and grow micros in my basement 'garden'.

Another meaty brothy soup last night and slice of blueberry pie.

• User
    6 years ago

Lizbeth-gardener, I just presalted, and then rub with minced garlic and lots of black pepper. Roasted in a cast iron skillet at 500°F. Took less than 25 minutes to reach 120°F.

• neely
    6 years ago

Beef dip sandwiches... meaty brothy soup followed by blue berry pie...be still my heart. Guess I'm having a reaction against more Salad.

• User
    6 years ago

Neely, I've never been much for salads. But Moe would be so so happy with all of the salads that you have shared here.

Neither of us was hungry last night and Moe said he would be happy with something sweet so

I made him Marbled Cream Cheese brownies.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

Recent meals:

Asian soup, owing a lot to things like pho, ramen, hot pot, Thai.

Korean galbi/kalbi, broiled, and ready to be wrapped with cuke and leaf lettuce. (I am between grills, and the low near zero temps destroyed any ambition to grill outside!)

More Korean galbi, allowed to marinate overnight and broiled up separately from the first batch... served this time over shredded lettuce, with cucumber nestled about.

• party_music50
    6 years ago

omg, everyone's food and bread looks fantastic!!! Need to study the thread but it's a new computer and I keep losing my internet connection. :(

Should have taken photos, but Monday I went for total comfort food... dinner was nothing but a big peach & blackberry (both frozen, but from my gardens) cobbler type thing with some sharp cheddar cheese on the side. :)

Last night I started with the idea to make bbq pork, but ended up with roast pork basted in beer & butter, mashed potatoes, baby peas, and a wonderful dark rich gravy.

ETA: today, I'm meeting some friends for lunch at one of my favorite places... a little mom & pop Bosnian/European restaurant. yum!

• lisaw2015 (ME)
    6 years ago

ann_t - I am not sure if I am excited or terried that I just discovered your blog & FB page....sigh. Most people eat to live..I live to eat!

• User
    6 years ago

Lisaw, well then we think alike. I've always said that I live to eat and that is why I love to cook.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Thanks, Ann T. for the cooking info. I'll have to try that.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Seared salmon, avocado, arugula, spicy mayo, BLT. A house favorite. Fresh pickles...yellow beet, carrot, Persian cucumbers. : ) So out of season but so good.

• User
    6 years ago

Baked a Boule and a Baguette last night from dough made on Monday. Folded roasted garlic and cheddar into the loaves while shaping.

Sliced this morning.

Makes great toast.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

ann_t, you are going to have to stop posting lovely photos of your bread... either that or I'm going to have find time to bake more than sandwich bread!

...and my pizzas never look (nor taste I suspect) half as good as your do!

Cheddar and roasted garlic added to some plain sandwich bread yesterday... and I forgot to pick up 'unbleached' flour...

Not sure why the roasted garlic looks so green in this photo...

(warmed with butter to go with homemade pasta and sauce last night, carb overload!)

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Are those marbled brownies made with German Chocolate by chance? I've got my Mom's recipe for German choc cream cheese brownies and those look the same! So delicious!

• annie1992
    6 years ago

Oh geez, how am I ever going to catch up?

2many, that bread looks really good, absolutely worth the carbs. (grin) The garlic does not look green on my computer, BTW.

AnnT, the beef looks perfectly done to me, and you are the only person I know who makes toast look so delicious.

Sleevendog, like you, I like pretty much any seafood, but it has to be cooked. I draw the line at raw oysters, they are just too.....icky...LOL.

Artemis, that bowl of pho looks a lot like my cover of Fine Cooking!

Well, I guess I'll start with tonight and work backwards. We had fried chicken, mashed potatoes from the root cellar, Elery's pink half runner beans and some leftover brussels sprouts cooked with cranberries:

I baked some beer bread a couple of days ago to go with soup, we had it toasted with eggs for breakfast this morning, and there's still some left for tomorrow:

Elery's been playing with his Instant Pot, most things have been good but this one was a "miss". The chicken was pretty bland, so we covered it with a sweet/hot chili sauce, and the rice was underdone, so it was crunchy. I stuck that in the microwave long enough to make it edible, and served broccoli with cheese sauce on the side to add some flavor to the meal.

Before that we had butternut squash soup, which is why I made the beer bread:

I used the last of some dough in the fridge to make crust for a sheet pan full of "pizza". This one had mushrooms, onions, sliced cherry tomatoes and cheese:

I'm still trying to clean the freezer, so I took a couple of steaks, cut them off the bone and baked them with mushrooms and onions. Those were served with twice baked potatoes and glazed carrots, but I forgot a picture of the entire plate, of course...

Peanut butter pie for dessert:

And so, I think I'm caught up. Until tomorrow, which is really today now that I've looked at the clock. I haven't even decided what's for breakfast yet. Well, I have, because I always have the same thing: One egg over easy and a slice of toast, cup of black coffee. I am so not a morning person, in spite of AnnT's beautiful toast.

Annie

• neely
    6 years ago

All good food being cooked and great photos. The breads looks fantastic . And for desert who could resist Marbled Cream Cheese Brownies or Peanut Butter Pie or Peach and Blackberry Cobbler with sharp cheddar ( sounds good party music...)

The following dinner was a plate of things I like. Corn, meat patty, potato, little stuffed peppers and pomegranate seeds. Perhaps you will also see I have used my new IPhone depth of field App courtesy of Sleevendog and AnnT's kindly heads up.

Following was an Asian flavours noodle salad and little meat patties cooked with lemon grass.

Lastly, Seafood pasta with chorizo and chilli.

Crunchy bread, but sadly not baked by me.

• User
    6 years ago

Neely, all three meals look delicious. Love the first photo. That app works great.

Made a "bastardized" version of a Thai chicken with rice noodles this morning. Winged the dish using ingredients that I had on hand.
    Moe eat this for breakfast and I'm taking some for lunch.

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

neely, your Asian flavours noodle salad and little meat patties cooked with lemon grass looks so good, especially now, as it's single digits here, and I've gone overboard with carb heavy comfort foods. Looks like a perfect mix of comfort, hearty, and refreshing, not to mention textures!

annie1992, I do love butternut squash soup! And I'll definitely take a piece of your pie if offering ; - ) Yep, not a morning person, but on weekends we love homemade cinnamon rolls later after we wake up, or just as you said, toast with an easy over egg - I like mine on top of the toast. And coffee... lots of coffee.

• annie1992
    6 years ago

2many, I definitely need LOTS of coffee. It's funny, I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar. I dropped the cream and switched to artificial sweetener because of the fat and calories I was consuming in my numerous cups.

Then I started buying green beans, roasting and grinding my own coffee and using a Chemex pour over system. Funny how being retired gives me enough time to do these things, LOL. Anyway, now coffee is consumed black, because it tastes good. I'm not a good coffee "snob" because I'll put leftover coffee in the refrigerator and warm it up two days later in the microwave, but the fresh coffee is just so.....GOOD..

I sure wouldn't turn down a cinnamon roll at breakfast, though!

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

annie1992, I've got a huge smile on my face! Another coffee bean roaster! Yay! Neither of us are retired...yet, but DH roasts our beans (weekly) also, and he grinds just before brewing, and yes, I am also slowly lowering my cream and sugar intake to black (oh, how I love natural caramel notes in my coffee!). Not a big old snob either... I put the leftover in a mason jar and drink it over ice, or reheat in the micro for evenings : ) Roasting has opened up all new flavors for us... it makes such a difference, and I could drink it before bed as a treat if it wouldn't keep me awake! It's a must in the morning though!

Maybe when DH retires, he'll go the chemex route too (keeping fingers crossed) but for now we just let it bloom in the coffee maker's filter basket.

I see a lot of people on this thread making dinners for breakfast - what a wonderful idea and great start to the day... if only I could wake up enough!

I make cinnamon rolls the day before... 2 proofs, roll out, brush w/ butter, dust with lots of brown sugar and cinnamon and nuts, roll/cut and put in pan, cover and refrigerate. By the time I'm awake, they've risen and I can pop them in the oven... but I need toast and eggs rather than all that sweetness most the time. My neighbors love me because I won't let us (meaning DH!) eat too many and I always share : - )

• User
    6 years ago

Damn, now I want a cinnamon bun.

Recently bought a new espresso machine and have a very happy husband. He would be even happier with one of 2ManyDiversions cinnamon buns to go with his morning cappuccino.

Made a pitcher of Sangria, a salsa and guacamole and called it dinner.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm, salsa and quac...now I want taco night.

Early Spring spice cleaning. Hauled up my whole spices from the freezer to re-fresh the kitchen cabinet and ended up making a dozen spice blends.

Braised and roasted Chicken Lebanese. W/pomegranate molasses and pistachios. Then last night Sesame Noodle bowl. Inspirational recipe, here

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

Earlier Note to Self: take photos of meals to join in the sharing of this amazing foodie thread I found!

Current Note to Self: Scrap earlier note, plating (and sometimes food) is horrible since I started packing/renovations of kitchen and 2 other rooms.

After a day of packing, in a state of exhaustion, I made a lattice pie of pork and winter veggies... usually visually appealing and a favorite of ours, it came out a hurried mess. I will instead lurk, make the occasional comments, and hopefully join in and share the fun at a much later date...

You all amaze me, and I can't tell you how happy I am to see/meet others who love to cook and enjoy food, all kinds, as we do! I can scroll through this thread at any given moment and see inspiration for more meals to come.

ann_t, damn, now I want a husband who'll eat avocado, so I can make guacamole and salsa, serve it with Sangria and call it a meal! : - )

• annie1992
    6 years ago

2many, my dinners sure don't look like AnnT's and sometimes I forget to take pictures until after I have started eating, LOL. I think jasdip has taken a lesson from me in that way too, sometimes. It doesn't always have to be pretty, it just has to taste good. You don't even have to take pictures, lots of members just tell us what they had, it's all good.

AnnT, Elery thinks he would like an espresso machine, I sure don't know where the heck we'd put it.

Sleevendog, your sesame noodle bowl led me to my own supper tonight, which was certainly not pretty, but it was good. The recipe called it an "egg roll noodle bowl" and that's pretty descriptive. Ground pork, ginger, soy sauce, cabbage, carrots, rice noodles, and Elery and I both enjoyed it.

I also started some lamb marinating for gyros tomorrow. I'm not a fan of lamb, but if I chop it up really finely, marinate the heck out of it, cover it with a ton of sauce, I can eat it. Elery loves the stuff, so I sometimes just cave in. Anyway, I was out of dried oregano, so I went out and dug some out of the snow. It was still green and aromatic:

Over the weekend Dave and Elery were installing a pellet stove here, and so everyone had dinner here. (Everyone being Amanda and Dave, Makayla and Bud, Elery and I) Saturday we had baked ham, macaroni and cheese, baked beans, brussels sprouts, garlic rolls and gluten free brownies. Sunday we had pork loin, baked potatoes, green beans, fresh beer bread with sorghum molasses and gluten free shortbread squares. . I didn't take a picture either day, of course, because...well...I was busy and I forgot, LOL, except the shortbread:

I baked some beer bread and this loaf of Harvest Wheat, filled with dried cherries, dried cranberries and pecans:

I had some ripe bananas, so made banana muffins and drizzled them with caramel glaze:

My dear helpful grandson was "in charge" of the dessert, and managed to stir the chocolate into the hot cream for the ganache just long enough to justify licking the whisk!

Yeah, his sister was here too but she was too busy making mocha with my coffee and playing with the cat to help much in the kitchen. Yes, she's 14 and is already a veteran coffee drinking. I didn't start drinking coffee until I was nearly 30, but she's got a jump on that habit already!

Annie

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

annie1992, thank you for giving me a bit of confidence to post - you are so kind! I think I found a recipe that sounds like your egg roll noodle bowl and want to try that soon!

How did your oregano survive the cold? You forced me to brave the ice and wind and go look at my herb garden... I've got rosemary and some sage (ooooh, chicken picatta with crispy sage and a white wine beurre blanc is in my near future!). Everything else is gone. Your beer bread looks wonderful, and the combination of dried cherries, cranberries, and pecans sounds tasty! Pass the shortbread, please!

Ok, no contest with ann_t's amazing pizzas, but my efforts with crusts are improving... last night was 'use some leftovers' so pizza in my cast iron skillet using the oven (gotta get a bread stone for the grill!) topped with fresh moz, mushrooms, red onions, pepperoni, green peppers on DH's side, black olives on my side. I wanted a sausage pizza with fresh basil, but sadly my basil is long dead, and no sausage. I'm looking for another pizza dough recipe in hopes of further improvements.

• User
    6 years ago

2ManyDiversions, great looking pizza. A stone works in the oven too for not just bread but for pizza also.

Annie, I love the ingredients in your Egg Roll Noodle Bowl.

I can't believe that Makayla is 14. How old is Bud now? 12?

I made another Thai Red Curry dish using chicken legs this time. Moe actually had this one for breakfast on Sunday and I was working so I took the same to lunch.

Yesterday's breakfast. We both had toasted back bacon and tomato sandwiches.

Original Author
    6 years ago

January is supposed to be our month of soups and miso/noodle bowls. No need to shop as all ingredients are Fall harvest in the freezer, lots of stock. Crisper drawer full. The basics. Made a pot of leek top stock so made a killer roasted garlic/leek soup. Growing micro greens so used fresh radish shoots in the blender when I pureed the soup. Perfect with a steak cube.

(really want a pizza)

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 years ago

sleevendog, leeks, garlic, soup? That looks way too good! Micro greens... {sigh} we've not got a good southern-lit window.

• User
    6 years ago

I would never think to serve a steak with a bowl of soup, but that really does look good. Beautifully plated.