SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irissto

Christmas gift questions. Mail carrier and neighbor

i have two questions.

For the 20 plus years we have been living here we have always given our mail carrier a card with some money in it for Christmas. I don't think they are supposed to accept gifts, but since we always got the " thank you from your mail carrier" card, I think it's widely accepted. This year we have a wide array of mail carriers. The most regular one (about 3 days a week) started out well in Spring, but the last couple of weeks he has been stuffing packages in the mailbox that were not supposed to fit in there. I did get refunds on the printer paper that was unusable, otherwise it was just the packaging damaged. Is he just already stressed out and should get a gift? I mean, we started out with a mail carrier that did all week days and had biscuits for our dogs (and knew their names). So I am not really feeling like it.

Second is the neighbor on one side. Same neighbors for 20 plus years. We don't really talk much, they are hardly outside. The wife does leave messages on the answering Maschine that they are going out of town and to collect their mail, paper and keep an eye on the house. I always get them something I think is usuful or at least easily re giftable (handmade wooden bowl from Etsy, cutting board etc) for around 40- 50 dollars. They do give us something like a Great Value snack mix. How do I scale mine down? It is not about the money difference. It's just that after all this time it's taking a lot of time to think of something thoughtful without repeating myself and it's so one sided. The neighbor on the other side is always baking us stuff, taking care to do the "turtles" since she knows my husband loves them. And we greatly appreciate it. I hope somebody can give me advise. Stressed out already. So many people to think about.

Comments (36)