SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_42918661

Diabetic desserts

User
6 years ago

I went to an informal dinner party/ Xmas tree decorating party, and the hostess served very decadent sugar-laden desserts called Sprinkles. I found out one of the guests was diabetic as well (besides me) in the course of the meal. So, everyone indulged except John and I. Should the hostess have provided a sugar-free dessert as well, knowing that two of her guests were diabetic? I am not faulting the hostess at all, because she literally will give the shirt off her back for you, but she gets kind of harried in entertaining preparations (she has ADHD).

Comments (37)

• Fun2BHere
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I tend to go overboard to try and accommodate all of my guests' dietary needs, but boy, it sure is getting difficult. I guess that's why so many people entertain in restaurants these days. I think, though, each diner has to take some amount of responsibility for themselves, especially since we are talking about dessert and not the entree. I'm not diabetic, but I might skip dessert calories and just have a cup of coffee or tea. I wouldn't expect a hostess to have a diabetic dessert available.

User thanked Fun2BHere
  • Bluebell66
    6 years ago

I wouldn't expect to have diabetic desserts available, either, but it would be nice if they were offered. I think if I were diabetic and really wanted dessert, I would either just take my own (with enough for others), or ask the host ahead of time if it would be okay if I brought a diabetic-friendly dessert. When I host, I always consider the known health issues or dietary requirements when I prepare the menu. (Edited.)

User thanked Bluebell66
  • Related Discussions

Cooking for a Diabetic with HBP

Q

Comments (20)
    Gourmet, not, but something for a different sweet. This was popular "way back when" in the full sugar, etc. version. Sugar Free Pumpkin Eclair Cake 1 can pureed pumpkin (not prepared pie filling) 1/2 cup canned fat free evaporated milk 1/2 cup skim milk 2 small packages sugar free, fat free instant vanilla pudding 1 and 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice 1-8 oz. carton thawed sugar free whipped topping graham crackers Line an 11x7 dish with a layer of graham crackers. Mix pumpkin, milks, pudding mixes, and spices until smooth and slightly thick. Fold in half of the whipped topping. Spread half this mixture on top of the graham crakers. Top with another layer of graham crackers. Top with the other half of the mixture. Chill over night. When ready to serve, spread with remaining whipped topping and sprinkle lightly with crushed graham cracker crumbs, or pecans, or additional pumpking pie spice. I think some crushed ginger snaps might be a good topping. This could be doubled and do very nicely in a 9x13 dish or pan.
    ...See More

recipe: patriotic trifle ...lf..w/diabetic exchanges

Q

Comments (1)
    Also you can use COOL WHIP FREE which is very good!
    ...See More

RECIPE: diabetic pineapple dessert

Q

Comments (0)
    DIABETIC PINEAPPLE DESSERT 15 oz can Crushed Pineapple ( drained ) 1 small carton of cream cheese 1 small pkg. Sugar free instant Vanilla Pudding Mix pineapple and cream of cheese Add pudding and place in graham cracker pie crust ( medium ) and mix well. Top with cool whip. Let it chill for at least 20 minutes Here is a link that might be useful: Home Cookin' Message Board
    ...See More

What's cooking in your kitchen for Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (43)
    There are only two of us, and no relatives in town...so we are going to Palm Springs for actual thanksgiving, staying at the Parker. Dinner will be at Mr. Parker's, if they actually do one (its a little unclear still). BUT, in honor of thanksgiving coming I decided to cook a turkey dish, something I rarely do. What I did was make pozole built around the idea of a traditional yucatan dish called "Pavo en Relleno Negro." The original is made with turkey stuffed with a kind of sausage meatloaf, with hard boiled eggs in the middle, which is simmered in a rich broth flavored with "Recado Negro." Recado Negro, also known as Chilmole, is a paste made primarily of charred chiles - pitch black in color. It is a very unique flavor, specific to the Yucatan - though it looks something like Oaxacan mole negro, it is completely different in flavor. Anyway, I cooked pozole in homemade turkey stock along with chopped tomato and a turkey breast. After the breast was poached, I removed it, shredded it, and then returned the meat to the pot. I also made meatballs with ground turkey, flavored with mexican oregano, thyme, bay, allspice, black pepper, and a bit of the chilmole, which I formed around hard boiled egg yolks (my wife doesn't like to eat pork; it would have been more traditional to use a pork sausage instead of the ground turkey here). These were browned and then finished by cooking in the pozole. The whole thing was enriched with a strained puree of Chile Mulatto, red sweet pepper and recado negro/chilmole.
    ...See More
  • irma
    6 years ago

I attend several functions each month where food is served. I have noticed there are always options available for diabetics as well as more food choices for vegetarians and calorie counters. Years ago, this was not the case.

As a hostess, I think it is considerate to include some simple basic items for guests with special diets rather than have them feel left out.

User thanked irma
  • marcopolo5
    6 years ago

I always try very hard to consider what my guests can or cannot have. Most of the time I get it right. I would probably forget something, hosting a tree decorating party. Just too many things to remember. If I were a friend and guest at a party like that, i would call amd say I can bring a sugar free dessert if it is ok with you. Not a big deal. Takes the pressure from her.

I find it interesting that most restaurants do not offer sugar free desserts on their menu. A lot of the people that are lunching and dining would enjoy a suger free option. The restaurant would have more revenue. Surely the pastry chef could make a satisfactory offering for those with health issues.

you

User thanked marcopolo5
  • Chi
    6 years ago

I think if she definitely knew that 2 people were diabetic, it would have been nice to serve an alternative, but something that other people might enjoy as well. Maybe fresh fruit with real, unsweetened whipped cream. I wouldn't expect it but it's always a bummer to be left out.

User thanked Chi
  • lucillle
    6 years ago

It is not only sugary desserts. High carb foods, fruits and fruit juices, and many other food can spell disaster for a person with diabetes. And there are so many different food specifics these days for many people. I think expecting a hostess to accommodate all of them will sooner or later mean the death of entertaining as we know it.

Far nicer is to be prepared to eat foods safe for you from the served dinner.

User thanked lucillle
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was thinking of sampling, but the main course was lasagna, loaded with carbs. I had one piece of lasagna and ate mostly salad. Yep, it's carbs that can be deadly, I know now from experience!

• PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

User thanked MDLN
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

When I have guests I have also made angel food cake with some fruit along side other things, as diabetics can have that.

User thanked greenshoekitty
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

That's correct and what I was taught in diabetes education class. The carbs are to be watched more. I will have the occasional small dessert or sweet. I am not a big sweet eater anyway. Thanks mdln.

User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Georgysmom
    6 years ago

Maybe it would have been nice for the hostess to supply a diabetic dessert, but she already has so much going on for her. All the food prep, setting the table, cleaning the house, etc., etc. I don't particularly like chocolate desserts so when one is offered, I think of it as an opportunity to comfortably pass on dessert and the unnecessary calories. I try to accommodate all guest....gluten-free, lactose-free or allergies, but it really gets kind of tough and the one thing a guest can pass on is dessert. Of course, she could have had some low sugar ice cream on hand.

User thanked Georgysmom
  • lisaam
    6 years ago

What is the nutritional rationale for angel food cake? Flour + sugar don't seem diabetic friendly, just low fat.

User thanked lisaam
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

This is a hard one. If the hostess knows, or knows enough to ask, it's nice if she provides at least what she might consider to be a good diabetic alternative. However, if someone has special needs, it's best if they provide for themselves if they can't do without or be polite enough to not ask, not eat it and wait for the event to be over to enjoy their treat. And it depends on the diabetic too. I have neighbors who are type 1 diabetics with pumps and they seem to eat whatever they want with few restrictions.

On xmas, for example, I will have a vegetarian over, so I will make sure that we either have hardy enough sides or a veggie entree to accommodate her needs. I also have a friend who has celiac so I always prepare GF for her. But I try to make it so that it's food that all will enjoy.

For a diabetic, I think I would have the fresh fruit with unsweetened cream. With maybe some super dark chocolate curls or drizzle. But seeing as I can't do artificial sweeteners because of my issues, it can't be anything "sugar free" for me. The closer to real food, the better.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • sushipup1
    6 years ago

I know several people who are diabetic, both insulin-dependent and on just pills who seem to eat whatever they want. IOW, they don't seem to be following any recommended diet at all. And I know other diabetics who will enjoy a very small serving of dessert, especially when it's part of a special meal. And I know many people who would never call attention to their dietary restrictions when invited to someone's house.

Unless the hostess knew, she was under no obligation to provide special treatment.

• irma
    6 years ago

Scott, I guess the lasagna wasn't the best for you along with a decadent dessert. I would really appreciate it if you could suggest some desserts that are appropriate for a diabetic. I ask because I often bring dishes to my meetings and would like to include those as well.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Like sushipup, I know a couple people as well who are insulin-dependent, but it seems like the type 1's tend not to watch the diet as much (not sure why), I also know some type 2s who eat what they want and don't exercise or even smoke because they think the pill will do the trick, Wrong! In the long term, they will develop other complications and end up being insulin-dependent, perhaps. I am managing my diabetes by diet and exercise alone, as the standard medication produced terrible side effects in me, and thus I need to be even more careful.

Regarding desserts, it is tricky, because in many cases it is the carbs, not the sugar, that is the culprit. If the entree had been low carb, I could have managed the dessert.

Regarding dessert specifically, perhaps a low-sugar ice cream or frozen yogurt, to be on the safe side, but that requires refrigeration, so I am not sure how that would work for meetings.

• irma
    6 years ago

Scott, thanks, I guess I will continue to bring fruit and store bought diabetic cookies.

User thanked irma
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

For me, that dinner would have been half piece of lasagna and double salad. No "sprinkles" if those decadent cupcakes.

Hopefully, there was some decent protein somewhere!

Sometimes, I eat a bite of something in advance of eating out, or simply wait until I get home. I can almost always find plenty to eat, however, unless the whole meal consists of noodle and canned soup casseroles, lol.

User thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Elizabeth
    6 years ago

I must admit that I am not all that familiar with a diabetic diet other than avoiding sugar and not too many carbs. I probably would just assume that the guest doesn't eat desserts.

User thanked Elizabeth
  • greenshoekitty
    6 years ago

Angel food cake is mostly egg whites with very little flour and even less sugar. can not say for a box mix, but 12egg whites 1/2 to 1 ,cup of flour, and if I rember right 1/4th to 1/2 cup of sugar for a large tube pan.

User thanked greenshoekitty
  • oldgardener_2009
    6 years ago

My family knows I'm a diet-controlled diabetic, and they make no allowance for that when they have me over for dinner/lunch. To make up for that, I eat my normal food before I go so I'm not hungry, then I just eat a salad or veggies when there, and decline dessert. I don't think they understand what diabetics can eat, but it's not their responsibility, it's mine, so I don't expect special treatment.

As for angel food cake, it's too carby for me.

User thanked oldgardener_2009
  • lisa_fla
    6 years ago

My adult daughter is Type 1. The pancreas does not produce insulin for Type 1’s. My take is- it’s easier to control because by counting cabs she knows exactly how much insulin to take. She would eat the lasagna and dessert and adjust her insulin dose accordingly. IMO Type 2 is trickier. The pancreas produces some insulin but it’s not efficient enough to do the job. DH’s side of the family is Type 2. All they do is pop pills and eat whatever they please. Big side effects of that ha e arisen over the years. They never counted carbs. A sugar free Jello with unsweetened whipped cream would be a good dessert for diabetics.

User thanked lisa_fla
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Check diabetes self management website for some good recipes. I have posted some from there before. I get the magazine as well.

• User thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Some diabetics, like myself, can't have the sugar free alternative either. I much prefer to have a small amount with real sugar than any with an alternative sweetener. I won't get ill from the real sugar but I will from most of the alternatives.

I agree it's not up to anyone to cater to me it's my own responsibility to make the choices. But I would definitely appreciate being informed if there are any artificial sweeteners in the foods or drinks.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    6 years ago

I almost feel defeated before starting when I think about planning a meal for guests that meets everyone's dietary requirements. Not that I wouldn't bother, but my goodness with so many needs to consider, I might be able to provide one dish per guest. Not a great meal, IMO.

When the grandkids visit, I have to remember peanut allergy, lactose and gluten intolerance and picky eaters. I usually just find out from the moms what the kids like to eat that they are allowed and they eat a lot of that food.

User thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • User
    6 years ago

If I have company that has a food problem, I try to make food for EVERYONE that they can eat. I had a celiac for lunch one day -- EVERYONE had toasted nuts (rather than croutons) on their salad and dessert was individual pavlovas (they are spectacular whether you can eat gluten or not). If I have a diabetic, I would watch the carbs contained in the meal and the dessert would not be as sugary as I might otherwise serve (no pecan pie !)

For those who can eat artifical sweeteners, a favorite fall "diabetic" dessert is, a large box of vanilla instant sugar free pudding, a can of pumpkin and a palmful of pumpkin pie spice, the pudding made according to package directions except 1 cup of cream and 2 cups of water (to lower the carbs). Made and then layered with whipped cream and perhaps some toasted walnuts in parfait glasses, it's a company worthy dessert that all can enjoy and nobody knows!

User thanked User
  • jemdandy
    6 years ago

The key to a diabetic diet is counting carbohydrates (carbs). The problem with sugar is that it is a carb biggie and it doesn't take very much to fill your daily allowable carbs. Eating too much carbs at once causes glucose spikes. Is best to eat several small portions of carbs rather than a bunch in a short period. Not all carb foods behave the same. The speed of digestion is a factor. A slow digestible carb food is desirable (unless you are experiencing a sugar low).

I don't expect my host to cater to my diabetic needs, and most hosts who are not diabetic themselves, or have diabetics in their immediate family, have not been educated in the matter. If I know there will be a problem, it is my duty to speak with the host beforehand. Sometimes the day is saved if there are salads and vegetables available.

User thanked jemdandy
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I know....trying to cater to everyone's dietary issues is difficult...that's why if I have a large bunch over, I always do an antipasto platter...between the meats, cheeses, raw vegetables, olives, breads/crackers, there's something for everyone regardless of diet...diabetic, GF, raw, lactose, vegetarian, whatever.

User thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • H B
    6 years ago

Every diabetic is unique; that said one of the most common denominators is the need to count carbs. However, from there, everyone deals with it differently. Type1 on pumps can 'up' their insulin to cover a snack; folks on injections are committed depending on the duration of their shot; Type2 have many different management strategies.

That said, its like a budget. If you get 20gm carbs, anyone (diabetic or not) can choose to eat them as candy, vegetables, whatever. And food with a lower carb count -- more can be consumed before hitting the target limit. Obviously some foods are better choices health-wise and also metabolically, but everyone is different.

That's why it can be very difficult to determine what is, exactly, a diabetic-friendly dessert. As mentioned earlier, many sugar free items actually have a higher overall carb count than their "regular" counterparts. For some people, their bodies digest other components of food (fats, proteins) differently as well, and that may or may not affect their blood sugars.

Sugar-free jell-0 has a zero carb count. Whip cream is also very low (but higher in fats).

User thanked H B
  • Michael
    6 years ago

Gluten Free is much more difficult to prepare than food for a person who knows they are diabetic. My granddaughter is GF, so I'm familiar with the difficult preparation to keep servings GF. I'm also a witness to the harsh reactions resulting from gluten ingestion.

Unless you have food prep and food serving pots, pans, dishes, utensils, etc. dedicated GF, your guests are at risk. Unless it's certified GF, my daughter doesn't eat it. That means nothing from a bakery or restaurant is certified safe.

User thanked Michael
  • User
    6 years ago

I make a cheesecake that any diabetic or Celiac could eat! It's to die for and most people who eat it have no idea it's good for you! The crust is made from coconut and nuts. And the sweetener is made from Swerve which is diabetic friendly. I've made it for Christmas for a few years now and even those in my family who do not eat a Keto friendly diet, love it and didn't know it was good for them. lol

User thanked User
  • User
    6 years ago

I thought I should share the recipe, if anyone is interested:

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/low-carb-coconut-cheesecake-with-macadamia-nut-crust/

User thanked User
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

If I know the guest really well, then I accommodate. But if I only know the guest marginally, then I don't. I assume if they have some health need to which they absolutely must attend, they'll let me know when I say, you're invited to eat. Or for it at least to be relayed if they're a guest with someone. I even kicked myself in the rear when I realized my niece was going on job interviews but dumb ol' me had a poppy seed dessert. Ugh. I felt really bad. But I did realize it in time to stop her from eating it. Let's face it, she's my niece, so I really know her eating habits. I have no idea what my workmate's husband can and can't eat so I wouldn't have bothered to say, don't eat it if you're drug testing. If that makes sense.

User thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • User
    6 years ago

I will agree that often a diabetic won't tell you in advance but I have had celiac guests (not those that have decided to not eat gluten but a true celiac) let me know and I have another friend that is lactose intolerant and so I adjust my menu to her intolerance whenever she eats at my house.

Martha

User thanked User
  • H B
    6 years ago

Martha, random FYI in case its helpful -- depending on your location, some Kraft preshredded cheeses are lactose free (hard to find the statement on the back of the package, but its there); Lact-Aid now makes lactose free sour cream and cottage cheese. Cabot brand cheese and many of the Finlandia brand cheeses are lactose free as well. That is kind of you to accommodate your friend. Some of the Cool-whips are lactose free also.