SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viviannevilar

Inherited red/fuschia rose and light pink rose

6 years ago

I moved into a house that has 3 rose bushes, 2 of them the same type, red/fuschia colour, and the other a light pink colour. The rose bushes had not been looked after for a while (my neighbours report) and neither did I for 6 months. Even without care the rose bushes produced flowers the whole time I was here, including during winter (I am in Perth, Australia though, so not a real winter), but the flowers were few, maybe 2 or 3 flowers per bush at any time.

Then one day I started noticing the bushes and saw that the leaves were yellow and the plant was in bad shape. I spent some time on google, fertilised the plant, pruned it, sprayed for black spot, and now I have many beautiful flowers colouring my doorstep. I love the roses so much I want to get other bushes!

I have many questions but the first one is the name of the roses. There are lots of pictures below together with other info that may help.

General pictures

Red/fuschia rose

The buds are dark red but as the flower ages the colour becomes lighter until it gets to a dark pink shade. I don’t recall any hips and now that I have been deadheading I don’t get that far to find out. Repeat flowering, faint or no smell.

Light pink rose

The buds are a medium/dark pink but towards the pink becomes lighter as the flower ages. When the leaves fall a red/orange hip is formed. Faint or no smell, repeat flowering.

Are those roses grafted? I am worried about the light pink one in particular as I see lots of stems coming from below the ground and some growing horizontally. The flowers of the rogue stems look the same as the others which suggest I may not have a problem, but as I have about 4 weeks experience with roses I want to be sure.

Comments (2)