SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_larosa

HELP! Mice in my sunroom in one of my pots!

Laura LaRosa (7b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Yesterday I discovered to my great horror as I was relaxing in my sunroom that there were two beady eyes looking at me from below one of the pots. I then discovered not one, but TWO mice in my sunroom running among my pots. They were climbing around, etc. Luckily, I have a sliding glass door that is between that room and the rest of my house, so I was able to contain them. I then tried various humane traps, none of which worked. In desperation, I used sticky mouse traps that my mother brought me and last night I caught one (It was horrible, but my husband did take it out of its misery bc I refused to be the executioner.). I am now left with one. Just now, I discovered that it has burrowed a hole in one of my larger containers that contains one of my meyer trees. I don’t know what to do! How do I get this mouse out without hurting my tree?? If I put poison, it can die in there and stink up the place. I can surround the opening with sticky traps...does that sound ok? Please, if anyone has any ideas, please share!

Comments (30)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    6 years ago

Oh geez Laura! When I lived at my previous apartment, I used to get mice burrowing in many of the pots that were out on the balcony. Even here at my house, last year I saw a burrow hole in a honeysuckle container, although (knock on wood) have seen none this year (the complex baited for pests outside this past year and sealed around pipes in the kitchen and basement).

What I have found is that when you think they are in the hole, they usually are not. I am not sure where they go but they are often out and about somewhere else and might or might not go back to that hole.

I expect the only way to get them without them dying somewhere like in a pot or some inaccessible location, is to put sticky traps along the walls (that's how they travel). They are a PITA.

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Use the sticky traps. It will come out to look for food. There is a chance that you may have other mice present so keep the sticky traps out for a while just in case.

• Related Discussions

Lighting in my sunroom w/ pics

Q

Comments (25)
    I'll try to find out Benny. He bought the house 6-7 yrs ago & they came w/ it, in the walls. You got me going now on speakers. I have 2 other sets besides what's on the wall. I will hook up wiring to them & try them out & tell you which I think is best. I bet the smaller ones are the best. One set (on wall) is panasonic, 2 smaller (in size) are pioneer & the 5" x5" (half size of pioneer) is Clarion. The last two are both 3 way, 20 impedance & 60 watt and they sounded great in my old cars. You don't have to spend big bucks for good speakers these days. Will be busy tomorrow but you got me going on trying out these speakers & I'll let you know! I'll send you pics too if you want ( your email addy). Patty
    ...See More

Is my sunroom/enclosed patio a money pit?

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes; with a floor like that it should be a 3 season room. Get some screens in there for the warmer months.
    ...See More

Need help and direction for desired Sunroom and Deck Add-on

Q

Comments (3)
    You have no pictures posted, and you need an architect, a budget, a plan, a contractor, drawings, permits etc.
    ...See More

Need help with pillows for my sunroom

Q

Comments (42)
    Oh I only saw original pix. Use color accessories to tie the room together. You can see in the first picture how the colors cut the room in half. By adding some of the terra-cotta in the medium level with pillows and accessories on table, and again up higher hanging pot/plant, and a large planter outside. Then balance the green with large tall green ceramic vase on floor in the foreground with those terra-cotta colors in an arrangement (grasses). It makes for a better flow. I LOVE those green pillows.
    ...See More
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ok, thanks guys. I will buy more sticky traps in a bit. I know I saw two, one slightly larger than the other. I think we caught the larger one, but it’s hard to tell. I thought the other one would get caught overnight, but no such luck. I put a piece of American cheese in the very middle of the sticky traps and removed everything else in the room. We stored a bag of dog food in there that they had started to chew, so there is no other available source of food. I just don’t want the remaining one to have babies. I fear we caught the male and God forbid, the female could be pregnant. I could see them yesterday through the glass climbing on my trees....ugh!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

My wife wanted me to use live mouse traps so I got a live mouse trap. My wife complained when she saw the 4.5 foot live mouse trap sunning itself on the living room floor'

When I catch and kill raccoons I put them in a 10 gallon bag and cover with potting soil. There is very little oder and the plants grow very well. if the mouse dies in the hole and you co9ver it you won't smell a thing.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

Sounds like such an annoying situation for you and your plants. After all your efforts to move them in and give them a nice environment, mice come in and start squirreling around their roots! Sorry I found it funny that there's a stereotypical piece of cheese on the mouse trap. Maybe put tiny bits of other foods along with the cheese like a few of the dog kibbles and some nuts. If it doesn't like the cheese then it might still go for the other food options on the trap! And the best way to really prevent mice is to get a cat :)

6 years ago

Kvetch, that sounds like you are setting up a Thanksgiving meal for them. How about a little turkey, pumpkin pie and stuffing? (:

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

Try peanut butter. We had mice in our attic one year and used cheese in traps. No results. We used peanut butter and caught about 12 in 3-4 hours. We eventually found a hole in our brick wall that the mice found to get in. What an eye opener how tiny the hole was which they could squeeze through.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Denise, I have another couple of traps with peanut butter sprinkled with sharp cheddar ;-). Yes, Vladimir, a nice meal! Those have yielded no results although they are not the black ones, but the white cricket traps. I am going to stock up on the black ones my mom gave me. Kvetch, I would get a cat....we had one for many years (lived to almost 25), but one of my daughters is highly allergic to cats (VERY), and we have two parakeets that fly around the house, which would be eaten quickly....so a cat is not an option.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great gang Susanne! My husband would love that! So which poison did you use that kills instantly. I’m desperate here and going to Home Depot in just a few mins..

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    6 years ago

No poison, ( just too afraid one gets away and another critter could eat the poison mouse and get hurt. Every year owls die of poison so sad) snap trap, brakes their little skull. Peanut butter or bacon, or old marzipan. Lots of mice and you have to change the food so they will come again. On a farm there will be always mice. Part of the life here.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

You never know Vlad, they might just come out of hiding faster with a little thanksgiving feast!

Susanne I have to say..that little mouse looks soo adorable. Or is it a rat from the looks of its tail? I don't like rats but I like mice for some reason! And your gang of cats is so cute! I love the two in the back looking surprised by the camera and the little back paws of the white one with the grey tail..soo adorable. I volunteer at a cat rescue so I can't help but squee when I see cats

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, a few days ago my Aussie caught a rat as big as a squirrel!!! Horrible! She was so proud of her kill lol

6 years ago

I have read many times that peanut butter is the best bait. I would use the snap trap because it is more humane.

6 years ago

This was a mouse for sure. I'm always happy if I see a mouse here or there as it is a sure sign no rats have taken over. This would be a nightmare and I would call exterminator. Laura are you sure he caught a rat and not a muskrat? Or gopher? We have voles that are bigger then mice and the favorite catch for one of my cats. Sometimes he brings me the left overs or put in front of the door. Really yummy he thinks

• User
    6 years ago

We have used snap traps with peanut butter in the past and it works reasonably well. Our old apartment was on the edge of a park and we got a few when it got cold. There are plenty of videos online about setting them up so they snap easier but are generally more humane than sticky paper.

The problem with poisons is that they will sometimes crawl in the walls and die. My parents had some in their attic and the rat did exactly that. Two months later the garage is smelling horrible and my dad opened up the wall to find it. The body was maggot filled and gross to remove.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m happy to report that the second mouse has been caught!!! It was stuck on a trap, but I did manage to release him/her...unfortunately right by my house. Hopefully, it will not come back in. My husband taped up the grate of the HVAC system where they came in. I pray they do not return!

• User
    6 years ago

This is the time of year that they come inside (either the garage or house). I saw one the other day. Not crazy about it but I do have two cats so feel somewhat protected (and would never consider poisons in the house); assuming the critter will move on as it realizes the cat presence. Rather have the occasional mouse any day than roaches!

• Denise Becker
    6 years ago

I would not rely on a cat. I was walking my dog one day and saw a mouse run right by a neighbor's cat lying on a sidewalk. I guess the cat was so well fed the mouse was not worth chasing. lol.

• PRO
    Home
    6 years ago

I feel as long as it's not poisons left outside of your house and strictly indoors then maybe it's ok but I usually advocate against them. I bonded with a cat overseas when I was there for a month and went through all the documentation to bring it back to the US with me. A month and a half later, during a family emergency someone had accidentally let the cat out late at night and she passed by the next morning within only a few hours due to poisoning. It was really sad to find out the cause had nothing to do with any physical dangers like cars or other animals attacking :( if poisons can be avoided then avoid it all costs!

6 years ago

Jurasico you are so right. Kokiburis (cockroaches) in japan are everywhere. While we lived there, we had two cats and they got everything that was moving. The whole time I might have see two or three in the house. And they are getting big there.

• sunshine (zone 6a, Ontario,Canada)
    6 years ago

Glad that you got rid of those mice, Laura!

• hibiscus909
    6 years ago

Leave the traps out and check carefully for evidence (scat). They can enter via very small openings, so hopefully the hvac was the only place, and it is well sealed.

A few years ago, I found some IN my gas grill. They quickly vacated when I turned it on, but did return.

• User
    6 years ago

I hope your mouse does not return. I just got this guy trying to steal oranges off Ollie.

Rats are gross and I don’t really have a catch and release policy. Our neighbors have a bunch of Ivy and palms that are not managed and that’s probably where the rats are living.

6 years ago

Poor thing, but yeah, no catch and release here either if I would ever see one.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, I am still battling one! I was dumb enough to release one that I caught and it just came back in and brought a friend. I have now sealed the area where they were coming in, so no more should be able to squeeze through. Yesterday I caught one in a trap like yours bacon - no more mercy! There is one left and I got these new traps that came this morning, I’ve just not had time to set them up.

• User
    6 years ago

Susanne: I would normally agree with you as most animals have a part in the normal ecology of the world. Rats however have diseases and fleas on them can spread bad stuff.

Plus this guy and his buddies have probably pilfered 20+ oranges off the tree and didn’t look like they were going to stop the buffet.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Have you tried live rat traps.

He'll spend most of his time hiding under your davenport

I have. They work very well until my wife found him sunning himself in the middle of our living room. i had to let him go. Sad day indeed.

• User
    6 years ago

Haha poncitrus! I saw a king snake about 3-4 months ago in our driveway. He was small but I hope he lived long enough to eat some of these rats! As long as it’s not a rattlesnake (or poisonous) I am good with snakes.

6 years ago

Hehehe Steve, yup, I would have one if I could. But with the cats, nope not a good idea. I have to resque garter snakes all summer out of their claws. (in reality only one but still)