SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wyatt_bloom

Condensation in Natural Gas Chimney Flue

Wyatt Bloom
6 years ago

I am a DIY and need some assistance with condensation in the flue. I've read over a few replies but they are either for high efficiency or brick chimneys. Please allow me to set up the scene...
House is a total of 2100 sq ft, basement and main floor (rancher). Built in 1960. I purchase the house 4 yrs ago. Natural Gas Furnace and Water Heater:
WeatherMaker 8000 Model 58WAV070-12, I think installed around 95 or 96 judging by serial/build date
Rheem Model 42V40S-40PROF, Water Heater - Input BTU 40,000 - Installed 8/2006
Both joined to the main flue
Connects to a suspected asbestos flue pipe (yea, I bought into it - oh well)
Flue travels up to attic, bends twice before exiting through roof via a faux chimney box/enclosure
The condensation drips through the seams of the T connections in the basement and drips into a small bucket. Some days barely a couple drops, if any, another day I may see a pint or 2 of water. Last night it was just below freezing, but had about a pint or so of water in the bucket. I've noticed it tends to produce more condensation on humid days but that, too, is not consistent.
I've had a couple technicians try to sell me on a new, high efficiency system but I don't have the money to invest in that. Appreciate any assistance.

Comments (5)