Pioneer woman recipes
8 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
Related Discussions
New Recipe, Wish Us Luck!
Comments (20)Brad - something else occurred to me this morning. You've mentioned health issues that prohibit you from having too much salt. And you've also mentioned using the packaged onion soup mix in several dishes. Something occurred to me that might be a good solution. Penseys offers two types of dehydrated onions. One of them is called California Toasted Onions. I think these onions might provide the flavoring you find appealing in the onion soup mix - WITHOUT any sodium. My mother has heart issues and cannot have any salt. For years she also made many recipes that contained the package of onion soup mix. I bought her a package of the toasted onions from Penzeys and it is a great substitution. Do you have a Penzeys near you? Of course Penzeys sells on line also. However, a trip to a Penzeys on a cold winter day might be a really fun thing for you and your Mom to do. All of their seasoning and spices have a sample jar you can smell. And there are free recipe cards and a free catalog which also contains recipes. Teresa...See MoreDesperate for help
Comments (17)Tammy, grilling season can't be far away for you in West Virgina. I love this recipe; it's so different from what I usually cook. The burger is very moist and just a touch sweet. Mar-a-Lago Turkey Burger * 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions * 1/2 cup finely chopped celery * 3 Granny Smith apples , peeled and diced * 1/8 cup canola oil * 4 pounds ground turkey breast * 2 Tbsp. salt * 1 Tbsp. black pepper * 2 tsp. Tabasco chipotle pepper sauce * 1 lemon , juiced and grated zest * 1/2 bunch parsley , finely chopped * 1/4 cup Major Grey's Chutney , pureed Directions: Sauté the scallions, celery and apples in the canola oil until tender. Let cool. Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl. Add sautéed items and the remaining ingredients. Shape into eight 8-ounce burgers. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Season the turkey burgers with salt and pepper. Place on a preheated, lightly oiled grill. Grill each side for 7 minutes until meat is thoroughly cooked. Let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with a side of Mar-a-Lago Pear Chutney and your favorite toasted bread, pita or hamburger roll. (I haven't made any changes to the recipe other than to make the burgers smaller--probably around 1/3# each. It is so good that I can't think of anything that would improve the orig. recipe. Any leftovers are still great the next day, just nuked to warm them.) ---------------------------------------------------- Another recipe that would be good for a crowd like yours is the Bierocks recipe that I posted on the February New Recipe Review thread. I was initially a little disappointed in them. Either I underestimated them or Bierocks are just better reheated--after the flavors have melded. Bierocks Dough (Pam's Bierocks by Pushkemaa) 2 c. warm water 2 pkg yeast (I used 1 T.) 1/2 c. white sugar 1/4 c. margarine, softened (butter, of course) 1 egg 2 t. salt 7 c. AP flour (I made the dough the evening before.)I just dumped the ingred. into the bread machine & let the machine do the work. Had to add quite a lot of extra water. You want a soft dough & even w/ the extra water, the dough ended up being a little stiffer than I would have liked. So, I would suggest cutting back the am't of flour to 5 1/2 - 6 cups & adding more if needed. (Another reason to cut back on the flour is because this recipe made more dough than need for the filling.) After mixing the dough, I turned it into a greased bowl, covered w/ plastic & popped it into the refrigerator overnight. Bierocks Filling (allrecipes Pamela Logsdon) 1 lb ground beef 1 onion, chopped (used 3 T. dehydrated onions) 1 clove garlic (used 3 cloves) 1 1/2 t. salt (omitted because of DH) 1 1/2 t. lemon pepper (Used lemon zest & pepper) 1 small head cabbage, shredded 2 T. Worcestershire sauce 2 t. Caraway seeds (I lightly toasted) 1/2 c. butter (didn't use) Saute beef, onion, garlic, salt & lemon pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat until beef is browned. Add cabbage, Worcestershire sauce & caraway seed. Cook until cabbages is limp; drain liquid from mixture. (My mixture was very dry, probably because I used the dehydrated onions?) Let beef/cabbage cool to room temp or lukewarm. Now, it's time to roll out the dough. Squeeze off approx. golf balled size (or slightly larger) piece of dough. Roll out on unfloured surface to about 5'' diameter. Measure 1/4 c. of cabbage mixture into circle (I added about 1 t. of water to each pile of cabbage because my mixture was so dry), gather up edges & pinch the edges together, sealing the seam well. Place seam side down onto parchment covered baking sheet. Repeat until all dough & meat mixture is used. (When rolling out the dough, you want it to stick to the surface so it doesn't shrink back up. I had heck w/ these at first until I tossed the pastry cloth & rolled it directly on the counter. I'd get it to stick to my marble rolling pin, then peel it off the pin and stick the side that was stuck onto the pin--stick that side to the counter--and finish rolling.) I ended up with 15 bierocks & 5 extra 'hot rolls' from the extra dough. Let rise for an hour or so. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or wrap & freeze for heating later. Or bake the day before desired serving & reheat....See MorePW's Restaraunt Style Salsa
Comments (8)Thanks for the reminder. I have used this recipe but forgot about it. I have been eating too many chips since I found a store bought brand that I really like so maybe I shouldn't make the salsa. Here is a link that might be useful: Xochitl Chips...See MoreHow do you make your migas?
Comments (11)Here is my recipe for Migas, which I have been making for decades. When I have leftover Mexican food, I generally make it into breakfast burritos. Migas 2 tbsp olive oil (approx) 1/4 cup minced onion 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1-2 jalapeño peppers (use Serrano chilies if you want it spicier) 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped 2 tsp cumin* 1 tsp oregano* 4 corn tortillas, cut into 3/4" squares 3 eggs 2 tbsp green salsa salt, to taste 1/3 cup cooked beans or 1/4 cup bean dip (heated in MW) 1/4 cup warmed Spanish rice (optional) 1/3 cup grated Manchego or chopped Cotija cheese 1/3 cup chopped cilantro Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onions and saute for a few minutes - then add the garlic and peppers and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the cumin and oregano and stir in to blend together. Add the tortillas squares and saute, stirring to make sure that all sides of the tortilla square get coated with seasoned oil. You may need to add a small amount of oil at this point, but it should be minimal. Beat the eggs with the salsa, and add about 1/2 tsp salt, if needed. Pour the egg mixture over the tortilla mixture, and scramble until the eggs are almost done. Add the beans or bean dip (and rice, if you have it) and stir to combine and finish cooking the eggs. Reduce heat, add cheese, and stir to combine. Turn off heat, and stir in cilantro. Serve on warmed plates with tortilla chips, if desired, and guacamole. *If you use bean dip that has been seasoned with a lot of cumin and oregano, you can omit the cumin and oregano here. Options: Add chorizo or other sausage to the sauteed vegetables. You can use chopped tomatoes instead of salsa. Serves three. To make a breakfast burrito, I make a simple omelet using two eggs in a 7" non-stick pan, cover, and set aside. Then I take a large flour tortilla (12" diameter) add 2-3 slices of smoked turkey breast or ham, and top that will a thin layer of bean dip, Spanish rice, sauteed onions and bell pepper and then half of the omelet (I usually make two at a time and use two skillets). Then I top the egg with Habanero hot sauce and grated melting cheese (usually cheddar or Swiss), and then transfer the tortilla to a heated 12" skillet, cover it, and leave it on medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and the tortilla is slightly crisp. Then I remove it to a plate and fold over the sides. It's probably not a burrito because the tortilla gets crisp, but I'm not sure what else to call it. Lars Note that mine look like mush, but they taste much better than the look. This post was edited by publickman on Sun, Sep 21, 14 at 16:23...See More- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years agolast modified: 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
- 8 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDES10 Recipes for Shabby Chic Style
Rustic furniture, floral fabrics, sparkling chandeliers. Here are 10 easy ways to bring the romantic cottage look into your home
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSweet Ideas and a Truffle Recipe from a Chocolatier's Test Kitchen
A $2,100 budget didn't mean a half-baked kitchen redo; this confectioner just rolled up her sleeves and rolled out the improvements
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN5 Home Cooks Share Their Favorite Family Recipes
Peek inside the kitchens of these Houzz users and learn how to cook their time-tested, passed-down dishes
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNHouzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYStyle Sense and Spatulas: The At-Home Gifts You Got From Mom
The woman who gave you life gave you heirlooms and original artwork too. We’re celebrating it all for Mother’s Day
Full Story
ARCHITECTURETrailblazing Architect Zaha Hadid Dies at 65
In 2004, Hadid became the first woman to win architecture’s highest honor, the Pritzker Prize
Full Story
LIFE10 Ways to Work Through Grief Triggers During the Holidays
A year after losing her sister, she was facing another holiday. Here’s how one woman learned to find joy again
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Charming, Rustic Lakefront Cabin in Minnesota
Vintage furnishings, reclaimed materials and a stone fireplace give a rebuilt weekend house a cozy, collected-over-time feel
Full Story
HOUZZ TV FAVORITESHouzz TV: Animals, Love and Color on a Florida Farm
Farm-fresh style is just right for this family of 6 — and their horses, dogs, cats, chickens, zebus, birds and pig
Full Story
FALL AND THANKSGIVINGYour Guide for a Simpler Thanksgiving
Ease the stress of hosting the big day with these tips
Full Story
glenda_al