SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcyzone6

Johnny....

Marcy
6 years ago

I just saw a story on Today about a young woman who ran out of gas on the interstate, in the middle of the night. She was terrified, but got out of the car and started walking to find a gas station. She was approached my a homeless man who instructed her to get back in the car and lock the doors, then he walked to the gas station and brought her back 20$ worth, using the only money he had. She was so thankful the she and her brother went back and found him later and discovered was a Vet who had fallen on hard times. They started him a Go Fund Me account and when they showed him the total, around $1700.00, he was speechless and so thankful.

This morning the total is over $130,000. Can you imagine what Johnny must be feeling? I sincerely hope this is a true, legitimate story, because it warmed my heart all the way down to my toes.

Comments (30)

• User
    6 years ago

That’s a lovely story, I hope it’s true too. We always hear about the bad and terrible things people do, but there are a lot of good people and good stories out there too.

• satine_gw
    6 years ago

I hope this is a true story and that the money raised will be managed to do the most good for Johnny. It could be a real life changer if used wisely. What a true show of goodness for him to have helped her.

• phyllis__mn
    6 years ago

It's so refreshing to hear about good people, and there are a lot of them out there.............myself included, hopefully.

• lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Thanks for the link Granny H. I pray the help will turn the man's life around. He certainly has a good heart and cared for the safety of that woman.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

I just saw them on the TV so yes it is a real story.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

It's over $200,000

• joyfulguy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

What a wonderfully considerate gift this veteran offered.

We require that candidates entering military service be in top physical, mental and emotional condition.

When, as a result of horrific experiences, they come back broken, it's the responsibility of any civilized society to take care of them.

In Canada, a number of vets in such a situation are not taken care of adequately. We ought to be ashamed.

ole joyful ... most of the time

• golfergrrl
    6 years ago

Just because they're on TV doesn't make it true. I hope that this story is investigated. If true, than the first thing he should spend the money on is rehab.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    6 years ago

Rehab? No one said he had addiction problems. People can be down on their luck and homeless and not need rehab. It can happen pretty quickly and easily these days. It was on the news. Look how quickly we were suddenly homeless! But for the grace of God and the wonderful friends that helped us out who knows...

I absolutely believe...

• User
    6 years ago

Really golfergirl? I would think the first thing he would want to do is clean up and step into some new clothes, sleep in a soft bed with a sound roof over his head and a belly full of food.

That is so awesome, I hope that he is able to finallyy live with some joy in his life.

• ont_gal
    6 years ago

I went to the gofundme page...all of this certainly rings true to me.....I've "almost" been where this man is today....drugs & alcohol are not always the problem or the cause of the homeless....theres a whole lot more to ending up on the street in a good lot of cases....thanks for sharing,Marcy.

• mare_wbpa
    6 years ago

How do you carry $20 worth of gas on foot? Why would he use his money, all she had to do was give him enough for a gallon, if he took off with it, not much harm done. If he came back she could have given him a reward. As far as the go fund me page, no comment. I hope it's true, but I'm skeptical. Too many holes for me.

• Ali
    6 years ago

I read that she had no cash on her. In order to get the gas, he would have had to put a deposit on the gas can.....that could have been $10 which is reversed once the container is returned. This is such a nice heartwarming story for a change, I hope it is genuine.

• golfergrrl
    6 years ago

" Johnny’s life took an unfortunate turn because of drugs,"....here

• Georgysmom
    6 years ago

I prefer to think the story is real because it's so special.

• User
    6 years ago

Who CARES? He still helped someone without any regard for himself and he served this country which is more than many of us have done, cut him some slack.

• kathyg_in_mi
    6 years ago

You tell ‘em lukkiirish!

• ont_gal
    6 years ago

$20.00 worth of gas is only 5 gallons...nothing to carrying that,especially for a male.

• sleeperblues
    6 years ago

5 gallons weighs about 40 pounds. I know I couldn't carry that any distance. I'm skeptical

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Our paper is carrying the story today.

Johnny

Marcy thanked Jasdip
  • Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for that link Jasdip. I hope he can get himself back on track. It sounds like he wants to.

• Chi
    6 years ago

I do worry about that amount of money. I hope he can make wise investment decisions but I am concerned about negative habits, as the article says he became homeless because of problems with drugs and money. Additionally I worry about all of this new publicity. He will be an easy target.

I don't think 40 pounds is unreasonable, and he may not have spent all of the $20. I would have trouble carrying 40 pounds for a while but my husband wouldn't. Physically, men are stronger than women. And we don't know how far away the station was.

• Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It's my understanding that he will only get a portion of the money to get into an apartment, figure out transportation, and update his paramedic license. The rest of the money will go to helping other homeless and needy individuals. At least that's what I saw last night.

• User
    6 years ago

Marcy, I heard the same thing on the news last night.

Marcy thanked User
  • Chi
    6 years ago

Oh, that's good then. I didn't see it ending well with that kind of windfall.

Marcy thanked Chi
  • Marcy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Cindy! I agree Chi.....that much money can do strange things to a person. I'm glad the woman is planning to use it wisely.

• golfergrrl
    6 years ago

There are no strings attached to a GoFundMe account. Will love to see if she announces what she does with the money. Would also like to see a video from the gas station.

• always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

I just clicked on the link, it's at $332K.

• User
    6 years ago

The only problem is (and this is just a scenario that you KNOW will pop up) is that all these people are donating with the assumption that that money is going to Johnny to help him get back on his feet and have some security. If she doesn’t use it for just that, some people may be a bit upset.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions