SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Too Much Summer Water The Die. Lots of Winter Water and They Grow?

I'm facing a paradox I do not understand and maybe someone can help me understand the dynamics. I am in my first year of growing many kinds of succulents in gritty mix. During the Summer, I am finding that these plants like to be watered about once a week, and a few species might appreciate twice a week. I am in a Mediterranean and warm California climate. Too much water in the Summer and succulents begin to suffer. They start to look sickly. I have killed a few from root rot. Even with fast-draining gritty mix soil, they do not want too much water.

So I feared the Winter. I was thinking that the days of rain would rot out the roots. To my amazement, with many of the succulents, the opposite is happening. Here in 40F temperatures and two or three days of rain, they are thriving. The aeoniums are taking off and showing incredible growth. They seem to do very well with constant moisture.

How do I explain this paradox? Too much water in warm weather - when common sense tells you that they would need more water - kills the succulents. Too much water in cold weather - when common sense tells you the root system might be more suceptible to rotting - and they are growing fast and thriving.

Honestly, I don't understand how this is possible. Maybe someone can help me understand this pattern?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations