SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

strange observation - larix kaempferi needles totally freeze resistant

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Was in a part of my garden in hadn't visited much since the freeze. Remember, leaves of 1) all Japanese maples 2) many other various Asian plants like Hydrangeas and Idesia and 3) anything the least bit freeze sensitive like Cannas were totally incinerated a week ago. Went down to 23F, and not a brief dip either. Well a Japanese larch down in the lowest corner of my property was fine! Looked like nothing had happened! My other Japanese larch, in a sunnier spot, was already well into the fall color transformation, so it would not have been possible to observe any green, intact needles on it anyhow. But the orange ones were not made to fall off any faster.

The other things unaffected were Magnolia ashei X macrophylla hybrid from Woodlanders, and the Taxodium hybrids from China/Dr. Creech, T406 and T502. They do go almost fully deciduous by mid-winter, but on their own time.

What I'm wondering is, do genus or species that are phylogenetically close to evergreen species* have an ability to basically stay evergreen for a bit longer in fall? That would make sense to me.

* - or in the case of the Taxodium hybrids, of course...1/2 of a mostly evergreen species. Embo, is M. ashei genetically closer to fully deciduous Magnolias like M. acuminata, or is it a deciduous M. grandiflora?

Comments (9)