SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsartsncrafts88

Pic heavy - need help with original midcentury kitchen

Elizabeth M
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello - I would love assistance from some of the kitchen lovers on this forum. I am sorry this is long, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible. (Minor housekeeping issue: any black dots/splotches you may see in bottom right corner of photos is not dirt, but issue with my phone in portrait mode - sorry- must repair this ASAP)

We have a 1959 home that we purchased from an original owner family who built this home. It has many features that we love and midcentury is just this home's personality. We have only lived here coming up on two years.

My oven is original Frigidaire Imperial made by General Motors but it has been acting very erratic lately (set it at 325 degrees to get it to 350, yet it will randomly spike to 450-500 in the middle of baking and then turn back down to below 300). It's unacceptable with baking. I use my oven almost every day. I have tried multiple electricians, appliance repair shops, etc to see if anyone will help me, and so far, no one is willing to assist me with getting it fixed because of availability of parts, liability, etc. It feels inevitable that I need to replace the 24" wall oven in the near future. It kills me to just buy a new wall oven after having this fabulous vintage wall oven sitting there all these years. However, I also don't want to spend money on a new wall oven when I have other problems that should probably be resolved.

Our cabinets are original but in immaculate shape. The doors have taken some wear over the wears and have a rough feel to them. They could use a sanding and restaining, but otherwise, I enjoy them very much. They could go on for another 40 years ‘as is’ easily. I love my kitchen and want to preserve it as much as possible.

However, let me tell you a few things I wish I could change....the low original hood feels claustrophobic at times (it is 16.5" above the cooktop and I can't see into my back burners very well due to the range hood - it might not even be to code), my laminate stains easily (even if I wipe it up instantly), the hudee ring on my cooktop is impossible to clean/always gross due to grime in the cracks and a 24" wall oven is not my preference if I need to buy a new one.

As stated above, our home is midcentury and just beautifully maintained by the family we purchased it from. Our furnishings are midcentury modern in taste and they look wonderful with our home. Many of our furnishings are well curated vintage items due to the plethora of MCM furniture makers in our area. We have a pink bathroom and an aqua/pink bathroom. When we needed repairs to the pink bathroom, I was able to source pink tile from CA that looks like it had always been here.

Our budget is open, preferably under $20K, but for the right, insanely beautiful concept we could go to $40k. The basement and attic spaces are completely unfinished, so I am open to moving plumbing, electrical, and adding a gas line, if necessary.

I spoke to a local cabinet maker and after visiting my home, he believes that he could make me new cabinets that would like identical to my original ones. That is excellent news to me!

My “ideal” dream kitchen would include the following: sticking with wood midcentury/flat slab cabinets, color (green and turquoise are my favorite shades), Marmoleum or VCT (would look a buffalo check or checkered pattern floor), Heath ceramics tile backsplash tile, a dark green Bluestar gas range, and a minimum 30” between cooktop and venthood (at least 300 CFM for my vent - my existing vent is already vented externally thankfully). For countertops, I like laminate (Jonathan Adler has a super cool dark green linen laminate that I love), Corian, or quartz (when I was at Home Depot this week, I did see a white goldish speckle quartz that looks similar to my existing countertop). I realize not all of this would look great in a kitchen, but I have seen similar images of these elements on Pinterest that make it work in a MCM.

Note that I am NOT into painting my cabinets. I have these similar cabinets in my bathroom and the previous owner did paint them. I am not a fan of the painted look on these cabinets (although the craftmanship is good - I don’t like the aesthetic of it).

I am looking for suggestions with what you would do with my kitchen. Would you separate the wall oven from the range? Would you add additional cabinets to the wall with the refrigerator? Move the heating on the wall where my open shelves are and put cabinets and/or fridge there instead? Is a peninsula possible to make into a U-shape kitchen? Keep everything as-is and simply get new 24” wall oven? Remove the wall cabinet above the existing vent? Lots of options. I am open to lots within my parameters.

Thanks so much! You are all so brilliant and I enjoy reading this forum very much.

Comments (20)