SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

LR adjacent to our opened-up kitchen (pic/word heavy!)

cat_mom
15 years ago

The topic of DR's and/or LR's/seating off the kitchen has come up a few times here, so I thought I'd share our use of space with you all. Originally, the dining room was next to the kitchen, accessed via a doorway from the kitchen, or from the open living room (LR and DR formed an "L"). Here are some pictures of the original wall between the kitchen and DR, just prior to demolition in 12/06 (one taken in the DR, and one taken from inside the kitchen):

When we opened up the kitchen, by removing most of the wall between it and the DR, we originally planned to continue using what had been the DR as a DR. Here's a (so-so) pic of the empty space:

When we finished the kitchen, we realized how much the tabletop/stools at the end of the island encroached on the DR space. Not only would it be impossible to fit a buffet/sideboard (with much needed storage, despite the new kitchen!) in that room, but our DR table choices would be limited to narrow ones. Somehow, the idea occurred to me--why not flip-flop the LR and DR? We could turn the newly-opened space into a sitting area/LR, and make the larger, untouched, separate room into the DR, with plenty of space for both a table, and a buffet. DH agreed that it was a great idea! Not only would we have room for the DR furniture we hope to acquire (soon!), but having the LR/sitting area "in" the kitchen, suited our idea of entertaining to a "T". Guests always tend to congregate in the kitchen, and are sometimes underfoot during last minute food preparations. Or, if they do sit in another room, we (I!) often miss out on conversing and visiting with them. With the newly envisioned use of our space, we could still be a part of things, with our guests in the same room as us (pretty much) and without tripping over people in our "prep" areas.

Our couch was delivered in June, but it took us awhile to find just the right cocktail table (needed one that not only followed the couch contours, but wasn't too deep, since we needed to preserve the walk space between it and the counter stools).

We ended up having the table made for us. The glass was cut locally, using a template provided by my DH, and the base is made from actual grapevines! The company (SierrArts) sells their own glass-topped tables, but they custom designed a base for us, using our (glass) template. The base was not cheap, but DH fell in love with it when I happened across their website during one of my many--too many!) cocktail table web-searches, and I've learned over the years that if DH likes something and is agreeable about spending the $, don't question it, just jump on it! LOL

SierrArts couldn't have been nicer, more helpful, or more accomodating (Tom Nedrich was a pleasure to deal with--makes us wish all purchases/orders could go as smoothly!).

Anyway, after way too long a post (!), here's a picture of our (almost fully) decorated LR off our opened-up kitchen:

Here is a link that might be useful: SierrArts

Comments (20)