SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heruga

Would prunus sargentii work in my area?

Heruga (7a Northern NJ)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Sorry guys I keep posting threads here but I'm at a cherry tree crisis right now and need some advice. Originally prunus pendula was my choice of cherry but with their variability on flower color(I want them pure pink) and low hanging branches that makes it harder for me to grow stuff under, I decided to look for other options. So I came across prunus sargentii. It reliably blooms in noticeable pink color, has more upright branches which means I can grow my shrubs under it, and reliably produces fruits! I know you can't eat them but I still like it. The only problem is, it doesn't take the heat too well. In summer the average temps here are about 85 degrees. And if I am planting this tree I plan on having it long term. I don't want it to contract a fungus disease and die at 30 years of age. And then knowing that global warming is getting worse and worse, in a few decades my zone will probably be around 8a with hotter average summer temps which means more fungus susceptibility. That is the only thing holding me back from choosing this cherry. Am I worrying too much about this? Again, this is for long-term. I am not choosing a cherry tree so I could enjoy it short-term so please keep that in mind when you give me advice.

Also I found seeds for this tree at sheffields. Will they become true from seed? Pink blooms? Fruits? I am also worried about that.

https://sheffields.com/seeds/Prunus/sargentii

Comments (16)